Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Where's my choke? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I recently bought a used Zongshen 125GY-A

I don't know where the choke is. It's not on the left handlebar grip like on most bikes. Maybe it's on the engine, but I don't know where. I asked a random guy at a bike shop: he said there is no choke, and if I have trouble starting the bike (say in cold weather) then just use the kick start. I haven't had any major problems starting my bikes so far.

Do some motorcycles not have a choke?

It's probably a lever on the carb, but bikes differ.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

Like ZMC said, it's probably a little black lever on the carb, usually on the left side but it will vary. Sometimes they are little plunger like knobs that pull out, but usually you'll find a little lever.

The only carbs I've seen without a choke lever are scooter carbs which sometimes have an auto-choke. I don't think I've ever seen a C-Moto without a choke.

Pics of the left and right sides of the carb and the handlebar would help.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Lever, usually black, on left hand side of carburettor. Did someone from the trade really say there wasn't a choke...?. You might as well ask Stevie Wonder.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks guys, I've found my choke. As mentioned, it's a black lever on the left side of the carb.

One more step away from "complete novice" :)

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    [QUOTE=Dan H.;7706]I recently bought a used Zongshen 125GY-A

Hello Dan, i wanted to ask you about this bike. How is your feeling so far? Im wating now for the Zongshen 150GY... but when I tested and compared with the 200CC feels a bit unconfortable for small trips. More like a 100% offroad bike.

Thanks,
    Alex.-

Mythbuster
    Dan ....novices are experts waiting to gain knowledge ..thanks to the good people on here you are closer..forums can be worth their weight in gold for knowledge..and friendships..

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Alex,

This was my first bike. I was looking for something cheap and simple, so when I found this used dual-sport 125 for a decent price, I took it.

It's had two issues (sticking accelerator, and the back brake locked up), but these issues have been sorted out (hopefully for good). I guess it's got about as much power as you can expect from a 125, which is not much at all, but then again it seems that 99% of the bikes roaming around the Chinese countryside are 125-150.

If I were choosing between a new Zongshen 125 and a new Zongshen 200, I would definitely get the 200: here in Wuhan, the prices are 6500 and 8600 rmb respectively, and I think the extra 2100 rmb is worth the extra power.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan H.; 06-15-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H. View Post
    ... and I think the extra 2100 rmb is worth the extra power.
    For sure. Especially if you're planning on touring.

C
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan H. View Post
    Alex,

If I were choosing between a new Zongshen 125 and a new Zongshen 200, I would definitely get the 200: here in Wuhan, the prices are 6500 and 8600 rmb respectively, and I think the extra 2100 rmb is worth the extra power.

Dan

Hi Dan. Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Im in Beijing, and here is difficult to get a 250cc or above. The Dealer told me is becaouse the PLATE, im trying to get a Jing A. Already have a Jing B on my Kinlon 200cc.

Re: Zonghshen 200cc or 150cc, maybe i need to open a new thread? But here is what i have so far:

150cc: There are 3 versions. PRO / SEMI-PRO & STREET. I wanted the SEMI PRO becaouse it has Alluminium Frame and inverted front shock absorver.
    All versions have Disk Brakes (front and rear), water cooler and 21"/19". Plus a nice off-road design and good quality components. 12,7HP 8500 RPM

Pros: Nice design, "professional" chinese componentes. With the alluminium frame i hope to get 1 extra HP? Maybe 2? Not sure. You can really climb a mountain with this bike a have a lot of fun. The 200cc is too heavy for that (my POV, i just did a quick test drive). It is also much more suitable to ride with boots and stand on the pedals (without feeling you will fell down at any minute).

Cons: 100% Off-Road, not confortable for small trips. And maybe too high RPMs for such small bike, probable the engine will last less than the 200cc. It is not a 50/50 bike as they try to sell it. The water cooler system is quite simple, but can be always a complication.

Link: http://www.zongsheninternational.com...geContentID=88

200cc: There is only 1 version. Air cooler. Front Disk brake and Rear drum brake. And a bit small size: 17"/15".
    Still looks like an old 90's bike. Similar to the QingQi 200 (Carl's favorite?). 14,7 HP 7500RPM.

Pros: Simple engine, very confortable riding position.
    Cons: Rear Drum Brake. Probably not very important for the speed can reach. But you know you need good brakes riding in any chinese city.
    Too small wheels! Too heavy.

Link:
    http://www.zongsheninternational.com...5/Default.aspx

Well, now the dealer call me saying the dont have the 150cc SEMI-PRO, so i need to choose probably between the Zongshen 200 and the QingQi 200.

Cheers,
    Alex.-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast