Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 RTF X6 250 - Experience? 
    I recently befriended a bike shop owner in Yantai and am hoping to purchase a dirt bike through his shop.

After reading up on the various dirt bikes on MCM I asked him to order a Galaxy ADV. He told me that he knew of a bike that was as good if not better and under 10K RMB - the RTF X6 250 (not sure if that is the correct name). Sounds like its too good to be true, but he seems genuine.

Several searches haven't yielded any info on MCM. Is there anything about this bike on MCM? If so, I apologize for making a redundant thread - and please point me in the right direction.

Here is a photo:
    222211bnnxovywc27wvv2o.jpg

Peter

2. #2 Re: RTF X6 250 - Experience? 
    Did some Google translated reading on moto8 to find some info on this bike. Here is the link:
    http://www.moto8.com/thread-426250-1-1.html

Perhaps someone who speaks Chinese can correct me if I make a mistake!

It seems like a quality bike. The problems identified in the moto8 post appear to be regarding the air filter and squeaky bearings (not sure where). Both seemed to be easily fixed with a replacement air filter and a healthy amount of grease respectively.

The author of the post also replaced the carb (approx. 30% increase in power?) and tank for better performance.

Seems like a good buy. Have ordered one through the local shop that recommended it. Should arrive in a few days.

3. #3 RTF X6 250 - Review 
    Picked up the bike yesterday!

Took it into the hills for a few kms to get a feel for it. First impressions:

Feels and sounds like a dirtbike
    Power - good power and throttle response (reminds of a Galaxy), will still try out the carb upgrade in the moto8 post
    Suspension - rear is great, feels like it can handle my 90 kg and a few jumps no problem; front is good as well, but it over extends when the front wheel comes off the ground and you can feel it hit its limit
    Brakes - back is responsive but not too sensitive, front could be a little more responsive but seems to be getting better, or perhaps I am just adjusting to it (used to the brakes on my QJ)
    Tank - at 4L I think is too small and have asked the shop to inquire after the larger one in the moto8 post
    Chain - has already started to stretch
    Light - great, has high and low which was a lifesaver last night in the hills
    Registration - can be plated in Yantai - will be done in the near future
    Seat - its a dirtbike seat, so no comfortable long journeys but its softer than I expected.
    Handlebar Position - seems OK for me, nice height and grips are good quality. Will try attaching some guards in the near future.
    Electronics - digital speedo, taco, trip meter, trip timer are all functioning but they reset to zero after turning the key off. Fuel gauge doesn't work.

IMG_3608.jpg
    Last edited by Peterdoobs; 09-11-2013 at 12:53 AM.

4. #4 RTF X6 250 - Review continued 
    After bashing the bike around the bush a few times here are some more first impressions:

-Top speed is around 90/95 km/h with a comfortable cruising speed of 85 km/h
    -Chain continues to stretch, but is still usable
    -Shocks are "clunky" over small bumps but handle the rough stuff quite well - there is good clearance and have not bottomed out yet
    -Great for hill climbing - plenty of low end torque but am still dreaming of something with more go (2-stroke 250!)
    -Attached barkbusters - had to move a few cables, nothing major
    -Get around 75-90 km per tank depending on how hard you ride
    -Grips are slipping around the handle bars
    -Still happy with the seat - road a 60 km loop on the weekend no problem, yet to test it on a longer trip
    -I've adjusted to the brakes or they have improved – not too responsive for off-road and responsive enough for on-road
    -Tires have held up well considering they are for dirt

Had a ride on a Galaxy and a CQR. It handles similar to the Galaxy in that it feels like a real dirt bike - position of bars, pegs, turning suspension etc. However, I still think the front shocks aren't quite as smooth (the clunking over small bumps). The rear shocks are not bouncy like on the Galaxy (maybe this is not normal on Galaxies). Hands down better than the CQR all-round.

Still trying to find some local riders to ride with and perhaps do a more in-depth comparison with a Galaxy, X2 or CQR.

For under 10K, you get a great bike for your money.

Peter

5. #5 Re: RTF X6 250 - Review continued 
    Who makes these? It seems like a decent bike, so far, and at a lower price than the Galaxies.

6. #6 Re: RTF X6 250 - Review continued 
    Hi Peter
    so you live in Yantai PM me with phone number so i can let you know what is going on around the area with dirt bike our club is of in 2 weeks to a dirt bike race in Zimbo we have about 8 riders going .Do you race or would like to race we allays look for new riders i come from Longkou 90 km west of you just 1 tank away lol

Here are a few picture take in Yantai at a bike owners wedding and about 10 dirt bike was in the line up ..

steve
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: RTF X6 250 - Review continued 
    Hi culcune,

I'm not sure who makes it. The full name is RTF MX6 250 - but that's all I've gathered so far. Apart from the gears being sticky and the shocks "clunking" it is great.

8. #8 Re: RTF X6 250 - Experience? 
    Hi Prince666,

I'd love to join you guys next time you're out for a ride!

Either form of riding is good - QJ 150 for the road and the MX6 for the dirt. I do prefer the dirt riding though.

Will PM you!