Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    I think regarding the plates situation in Shanghai bikes under 250cc can register cheaper.

2. #102 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by dewsnap View Post
    I think regarding the plates situation in Shanghai bikes under 250cc can register cheaper.
    Hope that's true, but don't think so. So far as I know only two classes: 50cc and smaller or above 50cc. Where you'll save some bucks is if you can get by with a 沪C plate instead of the 沪A. I had hoped to get some definitive gossip from local riders today, but it was too bloody cold outside to linger for chat with bikers.

maybe tomorrow. I'm taking my Jialing out for the first time in ages. to hell with the cold.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #103 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    Dewsnap, maybe the DD250G-2N is a little better, there seem to be improvements around the exhaust area although there are probably restrictive things packed into those headers and the single piece is better than the muffler box underneath, so I'd think about that model. My friend has a 2008 and I have a 2009 DD250G-2, the differences in component quality and assembly competence are zero, the only differences are in component choices. The problems with the bike have only ever been due to sloppy factory assembly and cheap components, the basic design is sound, other than the exhaust system. You'll probably have all sorts of teething issues with either bike, which will cause lots of headaches, you'll likely have problems mostly with bolt tightness and some other random niggles. You'd probably be best stripping down and reassembling the entire whichever bike you choose from new, making sure all the welds are sound and all bolts are thread-locked at the correct torque. You could pay your Chinese mechanic to do it for you, but unless you watched them do it, they would be certain to cut corners such much that it would be a pointless exercise, unless you did all the work yourself or micro-managed all the work being done.

I know a good mechanic or two, speak pretty good Chinese and it took me about 2 months to get a solid decent flowing functional exhaust system on the thing, worth it now and after some other issues I now have a reasonable bike which is like a low-grade CB250 Nighthawk. Don't ask me what I did, it would be like writing half a Haynes manual.

OK, The Yamaha YBR250 is a tad pricey in comparison, but it is gonna be a heck of a lot more reliable. A few months ago China V and I were discussing the new Honda CBR250R, and fact is the price for the Yamaha YBR250 is about right, when you consider the price for any Japanese branded EFI 250cc bike made in any other developing country. The fact is the 250cc manufacturer's Chinese bikes are cheap because they use cheap parts have poor to abysmal quality control and do almost no research and development.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 02-15-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #104 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    I looked at both the YBR and the Regal Raptors. I also have a Yamaha Cygnus Z scooter I bought last summer. Between the Regal Raptor and the YBR, I chose the Regal Raptor Cruiser only because I am shorter and like cruisers. To me, the YBR was much bigger than the Raptor street bike, but I really liked it since I love my Yamaha scooter. It has never had a problem though I only have 1500km on it. And it is FAST. I can only imagine how fast the YBR250 would be. My Raptor crusier, I love it too. But mostly because of style rather than substance. I don't know bikes that well - just the throttle and brakes, so I can't be that detailed in my descriptions. I can say that my Raptor cruiser has about 500k on it and sometimes "abnormal" things happen with the electronics. Little things like being in neutral and the lights pop on and off or headlight flicker, or headlights stay on even with the keys out of the ignition. Since I am ignorant about the innards of bikes, I just think the damn thing is haunted. :)

I think the difference you would be paying for between the YBR and Raptor is essentially insurance. The YRB is proven to be reliable and the Raptor isn't (as from what I've read on this forum). I am concerned about taking my Raptor on long trips since I don't know how to fix bikes. My only assurance is that my bike is based on the old honda 250 rebel so parts should be relatively easy to find.

The other way of looking at it, if you plan to stay in china for a while and get yellow "Hu A" plates, and plan to keep the bike for a while considering the write-off of the bike for China is 10 years and he cost of labor is getting higher too. If you were to pick up the YBR, the difference between the cost of the yellow plate and the increasing prices could offset the difference between the YBR and the Raptor. However, if you were to get the Raptor, the cost of maintenance could exceed the difference between the bikes over a long lifetime of the bike.

If you don't plan to keep the bike for a while, the resale value of the YBR may be better too. The downside is the YBR is a nice bike. I would be very concerned about bike theft. Keep it locked down! =)

5. #105 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    I was hoping to bug the Raptor owners for more info regarding this bike. I'm still very interested for a number of reasons (value, sound, appearance) I'm hoping to buy in the next month or so and i wanted to know if there are any more precautions i can take to protect this bike and hopefully improve it's longevity if i decide to buy.

You've already shared a lot of info so i hope i'm not starting to grate...

So from the outset, i should get a mechanic to take out the engine and put it all back together tightening the bolts using loctite along the way? Is there anything else i could do? Shoud i try to hunt down any Honda Rebel parts, things like engine seals, bolts etc? Are they even available? Would it be worth finding some better quality brake pads even from new? And have you found any taobao shops or anything similar specifically for Raptor parts?

Anything would be great. Thanks.

6. #106 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    Well, for me, 6 months, 1500 km, and 2 oil changes later the bike is working ok. Quite a few false neutrals but that could be my problem. No major problems now but going to take it to the dealer this saturday to check it out. My is not the DD250G2 (street bike). Mine is the dd2509e-b (cruiser). Thus, all the Rebel parts should fit very nicely on it. I've bought a few Rebel parts (pegs, battery covers) and they've fit without a problem. For the street bike version of the Regal Raptor, I'm doubt it. I have to say though that I think the bike is a little low on power now. I can out accelerate most cars from the stop, but as soon as I plop on a passenger, the bike tends to drag. If you do a search for the chinese name of regal raptor (Dah Di Wang) you will find a ton of part though some look like it's salvaged from older bikes.

7. #107 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    Here's the name search:

http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%B4%F3%...ilterFineness=

Here are some great compatible parts with the 250 cruiser:

oooohhhh.... http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8979293941

Aaahhhhh.....http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8979758097

:)

8. #108 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Here's the name search:
    Here are some great compatible parts with the 250 cruiser:
    Have you actually tried swapping out your tank yet? I have had some major problems with putting a Regal Raptor tank on my Honda Rebel. Lots of vibration which in turn caused a lot of noise. I've been working on it with liberal applications of dampening foam, some new longer bolts, washers and grommets, but so far with limited success.

I'd love to see some pics/links of your new footpegs. The passenger ones on my bike were replaced with some generic ones ages ago.

9. #109 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    That Taobao link is just what i was looking for. Thanks Wrangler.
    Another positive for the Raptor.

Post some pics of your bike if you get chance brother. Respect.

10. #110 Re: Regal Raptor DD250G-2 
    Dewsnap, here are some pics of my bike in a post from Felix. If you want, I can meet you at the Pubei lu Raptor dealer Saturday. I am going anyways. Just PM me.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ghlight=suzhou

Nuhaus, thanks for the heads-up. I haven't tried using the Rebel tank yet. I was going to buy a cheap one and paint it matte black and fit it on my raptor, but now have to reconsider. They have some old Raptor tanks but those run 300+ vs 150+ for some of the Rebel tanks.

Below are some links to the footpegs. The ones I got were actually salvaged. Beware of that. The springs were crappy and there's a fat washer that the footpeg pivots around. Mine were worn. I just replace those parts with the good ones from my floorboards. Some of the links have similar pictures because everyone steals each other's pics and also confirm whether they are just sending one footpeg or both.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7507566495
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7464420004
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8209236681
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7225900092
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7734901048
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7460162839
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7567081897
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3963277408

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast