Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: I want a Qingqi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I want a Qingqi 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I made up my mind, i will go with the Qingqi 200GY.
    Does anyone know what is the difference between the Enduro and the Motard version?
    Same frame ? Maybe only different tires/wheels?
    Is it big enough for someone 190cm (not me)?
    I will try to get some help from someone Chinese at the office.

I was quoted 9800RMB for the Enduro version. Is that a good deal?
    What does the Qingqi factory ship to the dealer? A whole bike or are there any configuration options?

Most importantly, anyone have a catalog? The Chinese website does not have any good pictures or details.

Thanks.

"Net" bike base in Jinan, Shandong
    Generation ||3(export version)

This is what you want......

The differences between motard and dual-sport are pretty well covered in other threads on the site (mostly just the wheels and gearing of the sprockets). 190CM ? go with the dual-sport, it's a bit taller with higher bars.

It's probably going to cost you about 13K with the 520 Chain/Sprockets, improved hubs, rear disk brake, upside down forks and I would request a cargo rack instead of those useless grab rails.

Buy a set of 17" rims and tires and you can basically swap between motard and dual sport. Probably cost you around 2000 Yuan for extra wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    "Net" bike base in Jinan, Shandong
    Generation ||3(export version)
    Humanbeing, are you selling these? Do you know any reputable parts suppliers for QingQi?

Cheers
    ChinaV

ChinaV,
    I'm an amateur compare to your knowledge.
    I don't like this brand (bad reputaion from early days in Guangdong) so no further parts info.
    Owned some better CG clone (Xingfu: early 90s/ Kymco: 2007) that're close to the Honda as workhorse. Borrow Suzuki en125-2a from cousin in spare time. BUT these better chinese made bike can't replace the 8/90s Honda CG125/Suzuki GS125 (刀仔) good reputation from GDer.

Senior C-Moto Guru
    It's probably going to cost you about 13K with the 520 Chain/Sprockets, improved hubs, rear disk brake, upside down forks and I would request a cargo rack instead of those useless grab rails.
    The 13k rmb, this you mean what will cost me upfront at the dealer's ? Or you mean 13k after i get the parts you mention replaced?
    Also, i cannot find any discussion of differences between the motard and dual sport versions, can you provide a link? I think the motard version will better suit my needs, but i cant see why it would cost so much more, so i would stick to the dual sport version.

Slabo,

Everything is the same except the wheels, gearing, fork and plastics. The Motard version often has painted plastics (which will scratch) while the endure version has color-in-plastics (which will scratch but will be the exact same color of course).

If you're tall, get the Enduro version. If you're less than tall and only want to have a good time on smooth surfaces, get the motard.

Price difference for the motard could be the specific parts are produced in fewer quantitites and also that it's a more "fashionable" design.

Good Luck!
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Slabo,

The 200GY "family" of bikes are all based on a common frame, engine and swing-arm. After many hours of tinkering with my old QM200 dual-sport and my new QM250 motard, I'm fairly confident that almost everything can be swapped between bikes. Using a modular manufacturing approach helps QingQi reduce cost and parts inventory. This flexibility is both a blessing and a curse. Although it gives you great options for customization, it has created a huge amount of confusion for the consumer as we constantly see different variations of the same thing from country to country. Most Chinese motorcycles are being refined by the importers, and they are the ones who decide on the component selection. What we often find on the dealership floor in China is the "worst case scenario" of how that company can make the bike. Generally you are going to see the lowest end components on the bikes found in China shops.

Originally, the QM200 used a drum brake on the rear wheel. When QQ decided to move to a disc design, they greatly improved the rear hub. It doesn't matter if we're talking dual-sport or motard, both models can be found with the old and new design.

In the rear, the dual-sport uses an 18" X 1.85" rim and the motard has a 17" X 3.5" rim. Up front, the dual-sport uses a 21" X 1.60" rim and the motard has a 17" X 2.5" rim.

CAUTION: If you're going to purchase replacement parts, or try to swap between 17/18/21 inch wheels, be very clear about which version of rear hub you have/need. It ain't gonna do you much good buying a 17" wheel with disc brake and 520 sprocket if you have an old dual-sport with drum brake and 428 chain .

Moving up to the front end, we have another issue that requires some clarification, the forks. When I saw the QM200 motard with upside down forks, I couldn't understand why QQ didn't do the same with the dual-sport. I though the length or geometry might be different, but eventually I stumbled on a few pictures showing dual-sport models with the upside down forks. You will almost never see one, but it is available. As far as I know, all motard models came with the upside down forks and only a handful of dual-sports can be found with the upgraded front end.

The rest of the differences, as CC mentioned, are mostly cosmetic. The motard has lower handlebars, the dualsport comes with a rear rack (usually), headlight design can vary based on which front forks are on the bike etc etc.

OK... so what about the price issue? I can't figure out the price differences either. At the component level, the price difference for the forks is about 750 Yuan, the improved hub with disc brake is around 300 Yuan, street tires add maybe another 200 Yuan to the cost. All together, it's only 1250 Yuan extra cost for the improved parts (based on general pricing from TaoBao). So I can't see why your local dealer can't get you the "improved version" of the dual-sport for around 13,000.

I can try to inquire at QingQi about getting hold of one of these, but it usually takes a few days to get a reply..... and then a few more days to actually get the correct answer

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Senior C-Moto Guru
    The dealer quoted the dual sport version for 9800 RMB. And he said its the 2009 model. But it was not on display. So i dont know what he plans to sell me.
    I am not sure all the parts need to be top end, i will spend most of the time on tarmac, mostly because i don't have experience off road. But sure i will go on trails sometime, as its my natural tendency to get lost, and i like it.
    If you could ask what it costs, i would be grateful. I can then agree with the dealer what parts to buy, or configure the bike to suit my needs. I know i will need to upgrade some parts, but not all. Since he will order the bike straight from the factory, i have some leverage.

Or maybe its easier to go up to Chongqing and get a new one, sadly not an option for me.

I am 177cm by the way, but i know another guy who might be interested, he is ~190 .. and he is having problems finding something to fit him.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Another brilliant and informative post from you...thanks ChinaV.

A further advantagee of the improved hub is that it uses sprockets from the Honda CG and CB range. Much easier to find than the obsolete Suzuki ones of the original.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

10. #10 cush drive 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Slabo,

The 200GY "family" of bikes are all based on a common frame, engine and swing-arm. After many hours of tinkering with my old QM200 dual-sport and my new QM250 motard, I'm fairly confident that almost everything can be swapped between bikes. Using a modular manufacturing approach helps QingQi reduce cost and parts inventory. This flexibility is both a blessing and a curse. Although it gives you great options for customization, it has created a huge amount of confusion for the consumer as we constantly see different variations of the same thing from country to country. Most Chinese motorcycles are being refined by the importers, and they are the ones who decide on the component selection. What we often find on the dealership floor in China is the "worst case scenario" of how that company can make the bike. Generally you are going to see the lowest end components on the bikes found in China shops.

Originally, the QM200 used a drum brake on the rear wheel. When QQ decided to move to a disc design, they greatly improved the rear hub. It doesn't matter if we're talking dual-sport or motard, both models can be found with the old and new design.

In the rear, the dual-sport uses an 18" X 1.85" rim and the motard has a 17" X 3.5" rim. Up front, the dual-sport uses a 21" X 1.60" rim and the motard has a 17" X 2.5" rim.

CAUTION: If you're going to purchase replacement parts, or try to swap between 17/18/21 inch wheels, be very clear about which version of rear hub you have/need. It ain't gonna do you much good buying a 17" wheel with disc brake and 520 sprocket if you have an old dual-sport with drum brake and 428 chain .

Moving up to the front end, we have another issue that requires some clarification, the forks. When I saw the QM200 motard with upside down forks, I couldn't understand why QQ didn't do the same with the dual-sport. I though the length or geometry might be different, but eventually I stumbled on a few pictures showing dual-sport models with the upside down forks. You will almost never see one, but it is available. As far as I know, all motard models came with the upside down forks and only a handful of dual-sports can be found with the upgraded front end.

The rest of the differences, as CC mentioned, are mostly cosmetic. The motard has lower handlebars, the dualsport comes with a rear rack (usually), headlight design can vary based on which front forks are on the bike etc etc.

OK... so what about the price issue? I can't figure out the price differences either. At the component level, the price difference for the forks is about 750 Yuan, the improved hub with disc brake is around 300 Yuan, street tires add maybe another 200 Yuan to the cost. All together, it's only 1250 Yuan extra cost for the improved parts (based on general pricing from TaoBao). So I can't see why your local dealer can't get you the "improved version" of the dual-sport for around 13,000.

I can try to inquire at QingQi about getting hold of one of these, but it usually takes a few days to get a reply..... and then a few more days to actually get the correct answer

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    the rubber cushion would be for the sprocket , not the brake . its to save the countershaft from the impact of rideing on pavement because the wheel doesnt spin like on dirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast