Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Visibility

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C-Moto Guru
    Loud horns help a lot. I have two car horns wired up to my bike and they scare the bejeezus out of people when I honk them. That and loud pipes so they can hear you coming ahead of time.

Not going to help for the idiots in the blue trucks pulling onto the highway without looking but infinitely better than knocking off a taxi's side view mirror after they cut you off.

Mythbuster
    yes it seems a problem anywhere in the world ...not being seen or identified on the road...

Funny how people go for hi-visibility gear ,and think that will make it safe..a bit of the old Volvo syndrome (i'm safe in here screw everone else) there I feel..doesn't work...

Strangely enough in Australia cars rarely pull out in front of 1% bikers/bikies dressed in black open face helmets flannel shirts and black leather vests...
    I read somewhere that a report claimed it was because people are scared shitless of these guys where as the Motorcyclist wearing all the safety gear and bright safety vis stuff does not register as a threat to the average low IQ car driver..so they pull out..
    Maybe all riders need to dress up like bad arse bikers to survive ?

safe ..everone...Defensive Riding Techniques are the real answer..loud horns are usually used when it is too late...and loud pipes may sound sweet to us but give the average numbnuted citizen the shits cause it blocks the sound from their CD player..or cuts into their mobile phone conversation...

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by gpPeej View Post
    Wow...you are wearing a hi-vis vest and that is still happening??? I wear a hi-vis yellow helmet and it helps some, but this happens to all of us.

Two things that I do to improve my chances of being seen are both based on the fact that most people key on movement and moving things in traffic. To that end, I loosen up the bolts that hold my headlight so that it vibrates more than normal. It's a little annoying at night but it sure gets noticed more during the day. Also, when I have an oncoming turner or suspect someone entering from the side, I "waggle" the bars slightly to give them some movement to key on.

Still, you'd be wise to practice panic stops. Also, alot of US scooterist and motorcyclist have been adding Stebel air horns to their rides. They're cheap, compact, and put out 130Db. But, you can't rely on a horn unless you see the problem coming. The pipe on my Lambretta is louder than it's horn.

Perhaps you should get one of those really bright yellow police jackets and wear a white helmet...not many folks will pull out in front of a "cop". Have you ever seen the hi-vis riding gear made by Aerostitch? Great stuff

Peej
    Yeah as well as the Hi viz I also do the bar waggle and move around on the road to trigger movement detection. Funny you mention the cop impersonation thing - on my silver VFR, with my balck jacket with yelllow hi viz vest and silver flip up lid, a lot of people do mistake me for a traffic cop (They mysteriously slow down)! I also used to ride a 94 CBR600 which I sprayed white and put reflective yellow and blue on, and that definitely got people to behave!Sadly, that bike has now died, and I wouldn't want to sticker up my VFR.But I also realised that if you look like Police, they will slow down and hinder you,the best thing to look like is a bike Paramedic. I'm a member of St John Ambulance, and when I ride my Silver VFR to Duities with my St John Ambulance Hi Viz jacket on (complete with green/white checkering), people get out of the way.But I can't wear that jacket in daily use because St John Ambulance don't want that the negative publicity that it would attract ( I don't always, ahem, obey speed limits;-)). Unfortunately though, no amount of Hi Viz gear and white helmet is going to confince a driver that my Quinqi 125 is a Police or Paramedic bike!

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post
    Those headlights dipped beams are useless for visibility. Try running on full beam instead.

I don't think it's the size of the bike. In fact the other day I caught sight of myself on the back of a very shiny van and thought how agressive and imposing the bike looked.
    My first thought was: What's that?. Who's that handsome virile chap?...
    I know what you mean about the headlight on dipped, in fact I reached that same conclusion yesterday and on my ride home used full beam. It didn't seem to blind anyone (on my VFR doing that infuriates drivers!), and I must admit that it seemed to make the bike more visible.No one pulled out, and few cars pulled in to let me go by.
    I have also been hatching a cunning plan involving a flyscreen - I have an old mudguard from an SV650 that after a bit of butchering , I should be able to attach as a tall bikini fairing above the light. It gives the front the appearance of a bigger, more expensive machine - looks similar to the front of the KTM advenure bikes.Visibilty aside, I was thinking of doing this anyway to deflect water spray from my upper body in wet weather. Of course, if I do this mod successfully, I will post up pics!

5. #15 Headlight/Flyscreen mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, in what has turned out to be another resounding success, I have replaced the enduro light with a traditional round light with an attached flyscreen. I am very happy as I came up with the idea in about 30 mins, and the whole thing cost me nothing as all the bits I used were made from stuff I've had lurking in my garage for a couple of years.
    I've posted pics in the Modifications section, heres a link:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030

IMO it makes the front of the bike look like a bigger, more expensive machine,and a quick 5 minute test ride confirmed that it has indeed lifted the 'invisibilty cloak' somewhat - a car went to pull out on me on a roundabout, saw me and abruptly hit the anchors. I'm positive that with the enduro headlight, the car would have pulled out anyway.Heres another close up pic:
    Attached Images

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Nice job Ed, It does make the bike look bigger. And the little flyscreen looks good.

And Mythbuster...I like in Milwaukee Wisconsin...half of the population here looks like bad@ss bikers! But your right to say that the norms are scared of us.

Peej

Mythbuster
    Looks better actually but I like old fashioned machine looks anyway..

Except for the Strom...
    Attached Images

i used to have a 150 scooter before i got my XTR. this was my solution to make it more visible:

i covered it entirely in that black/yellow tape you find everywhere in china. it looked amazing! (the picture is taken on halloween, my girlfriend and i usually dress like normal humans)

9. #19 Visibility 
    C-Moto Noob
    I've just fitted a Bi Xenon HID headlight conversion to my Sinnis Apache 125, so bright it gets attention from other road users. Cut the 'pull out on me' drivers to almost zero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12