Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Quinqi 125/200 SM Headlight/flyscreen mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Everyone,
    Yesterday I replaced the enduro headlight with a round light, and a flyscreen which I made out of an SV650 front fender. I mounted it up with brackets which i made out of a spare lower engine mounting bracket for the Quinqi( the bit the bash gaurd bolts to).
    I came up with the design in about 30 mins, and did measuring and planning 'on the fly', so I was very surprised/pleased that it a)worked and b)looks good!
    Therefore, I thought I would share.Here are some pics of it on the bike.
    Attached Images

Great stuff and it looks sweet...almost like a shark fin. What gave you the idea to turn the front fender over and use it as a fly screen?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I was just looking around my garage for something black, plastic and screen shaped - the mudguard fitted the bill!
    Parts used for the project were:
    Aftermarket fibreglass SV650 mudguard with extended sides
    Quinqi 125/200 gy bottom engine mount
    Round chromed headlamp
    4 SV650 brake disc bolts
    2 Nuts to fit above
    Black gaffa tape
    2 zip ties
    Tools used:
    Hacksaw
    Angle grinder
    Drill with large metal drill bit
    Method:
    Removed the engine mount 2 centre braces and bash plate mounts using the angle grinder (You could use a hacksaw, but it would take longer)
    Gradually hacksawed down the mudguard and offered it up to the bike with the headlight.Originally I wanted to make the flyscreen curve around the light, but I couldn't get this accurate.In the end I made a v shaped cut and used gaffa tape to neaten up the edge.Had to drill a hole on each side where it attaches to the top yoke bolts on the bike.This is why you need a mudguard with extended sides.
    Then I drilled a hole in each side bar from the engine mount, through which the headlight mounting bolts go.This was the trickiest part, as it had to be accurate and the holes are large diameter.To make it easier, I used a vice and g-clamped the other side bar so that the existing top hole was over the area I needed to drill - this stopped the drill bit sliding all over the place. Then to do the second side bar, I clamped the drilled one over it to use the hole as a guide.Worked out fine.
    Finally, bolted everything up, and on to the bike.The top of the side bars bolt through the pre-exsiting mounting holes on the mudguard, and the headlight is bolted on through the holes drilled in the side bars.The sides of the flyscreen bolt through the drilled holes to the top yoke. Finally, the bottom of the mounting bars are cable tied to the fork legs just under the Quinqi mudgaurd.The whole thing is very secure,and there is also enough room to adjust the headlight angle.
    Its a bit rough close up, so I will at some point take it apart and respray the side bars black ( they are a bit scratched and there is bare metal where the angle grinder was used), but other than that it's fine.
    The only other thing I need to do is make a mesh protector for the headlight during off road trips......
    Last edited by Ed209; 06-29-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Looks nice Ed. I bet you like the adjustability that you now have.

5. #5 Re: Quinqi 125/200 SM Headlight/flyscreen mod 
    looks very smooth........sm classic

6. #6 Re: Quinqi 125/200 SM Headlight/flyscreen mod 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
    The only other thing I need to do is make a mesh protector for the headlight during off road trips......
    I suppose you'll be looking in the kitchen for something suitable, a strainer perhaps...

Seriously though, great job, looks good.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY