Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Quinqi 125/200 SM grab rail rack mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well folks, I've been at it again! Encouraged by my successes with the carb mod and headlamp/flyscreen project,yesterday I decided to attempt something I'd been thinking of for a while.As you all know, the motard version of the Quinqi 125/200 has useless grab rails rather than a rack. Up 'till now, I'd been using a tailpack bungied around the rails, but what I really wanted was a rack that I could also use for a top box.
    So here's what I did:
    I cut 2 lengths of threaded solid steel rods , and removed each grab rail and drilled two indentations in each .They go about 1/2 way in. Then when bolted up, the grab rails hold the rods solidly in place. After that, I attched the Givi topbox rack. This now gives 2 options - I can use it as a rack to bungee stuff to, or I can use it to attach the topbox ( I love them BTW!). I rode 20 miles to work today with about 3kg of stuff in it, and it all stayed safe and solid, and the handling and performance is unaffected.The rack slightly overlaps the seat and is angled so that roughly 1/2 of the weight of box is supported by the seat. I'm not sure of the strength of the grab rails so I deliberately built it this way, as I wouldn't trust them to take the entire weight of the box.This also helps handling, as the box is supported within the bike's wheelbase - this is important on such a light bike.
    Of course, this now means pillions are out, but this is not an issue as I had already removed the pillion pegs anyway. Here are some pics:
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Quinqi 125/200 SM grab rail rack mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    What a great idea, and good pictures.