Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Finn in Beijing

1. #1 Finn in Beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Greetings all!
    Not so new in Beijing but just found this site!
    I have been living in Beijing in 1998 - 2004, then spent two years in Australia, two years in France and back in Beijing since last year.
    I really enjoy riding in China as it can still be called Adventure!

Some background:
    Back in 1998 it was really difficult to find a bike in Beijing. After a long search I finally got myself a 400cc Yamaha Dragstar. None of my friends had a bike and I had not met any local riders, so there was not much action, just the occasional trip to the mountains.
    A few years later I swapped to a Honda Varadero and many of my friends bought bikes as well. We also met local riders and made lots of trips around Beijing.

In 2002 we went to Yinchuan Motorcycle Festival as "official" Finnish representatives.
    In 2003 we made our first attempt at Tibet. It was SARS time and borders were closed, so instead we went to the Western border of Xinjiang.
    A year later we tried again into Tibet and made it! (I was already living in Australia but had my bike in Beijing). I made it 100km from Mt Everest and my clutch was totally gone.
    Still want to go back there and do whole of Tibet, maybe enter via Yunnan...

Last Summer me and two friends started a trip from Germany to Beijing. We made it until the border (we were on the other side in 2003!), but this was just before the Olympics and they were very strict. We were denied entry although we had the paperworks (except the exit document from China!) and had to turn back.

So, instead of having a KTM 990 Adv, I bought a Suzuki GSX1400 last Autumn. It's not really for touring, so I have had my eye on Jialing 600 for a while.
    This year I had two accidents with the bike, on the second one I required some stitching, bike needed some fixing on both occasions. Missed 3 months of the best season but now back in the saddle!

Hope to see you on the road soon!

Tatu
    Attached Images

Tatu,

Great to see you here! Sounds like you'll fit right in with a bunch of the hard core nail chewing rough ridin' Beijing crowd.

They have quite regular meetings that involves lots of tall tales, tomfoolery and BBQ... you know...the usual. Chinabiker seems to be the man on the scene there an hopefully he'll be along in a bit to say hello. If not, contact him or Sabine directly. There's a buncha BJ riders here!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Noob
    Thanks CC,
    Been enjoying your Motography stories in advrider.com for a long time!
    I was looking forward to Yinchuan Motorcycle Festival this year, but nobody knows what's happening. All the old websites & phone numbers are down...
    Anyone has some idea?

4. #4 Hi Tare! 
    here is Sabine, welcome on MCM!
    you must have great stories to tell. looking forward to meet you on our next BBQ at Frank`s Place, Beijing.
    see you!
    Sabine