Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Do you ride WJ250GY? (WONJAN) 
    china hunter
    Hi to all MCMs!

Its my new post here as a new member of MCM.

I'm trying to choose the right bike for my dream trip around China and I would like to ask for few suggestions from YOU as experienced china-bikers. I went through the MCM database, and my results by now are these:

My favourite bike in Dual-Sport category is Wonjan WJ250GY.
    Attachment 557
    WJ250GY SP.jpg
    I think it is THE ONE made just for my trip. Suzuki GN250 engine seems to be reliable, which is good point. Front/rear disc brake and upsidedown fork-bravo The problem is, there is no one around here on MCM, who could tell me a word about WJ, as far as I know. If there is, please let me know some more then I can find from web, such as:

engine model 172FMM dimension(L×W×H) 2150×820×1165
    cylinder single wheel base(mm) 1440
    valve 4 stroke dry weight(kg) 145
    cooling air cooling max. load(kg) 150
    bore×stroke 72×61.2 max. speed(km/h) 110
    displacement 249 clutch type manual
    starter electrical brake(Fr./Rr.) disc/disc
    ignition transistor transmission chain
    max. power(kw/r/min) 14.5[8500±500] wheel spoke
    max.torque(N.m/r/min) 16.8[7000±500] tyre size 2.75-21/4.10-18
    price? between 14000 and 16000 i think.

another ones in my category are:

Galaxy XTR250/TGR250
    wheels.jpg
    highly recomended by Felix! I really like it, but saddle is a bit narrow and just long enough for two. I plan many trips together with my wife so comfort is an issue. By the way, XTR dealer on a phone said that XTR/TGR is only for one person, but felix received rear footpegs in a box together with his bike?!!?

Shineray XY250GY
    XY250GY.jpg
    not much impressed about it, but who knows

Sineray XY200GY-7
    Xy200GY-7.jpg
    so THIS is cool machine!! but i'v seen some pictures with snapped "neck" on one of these and lower power followed by little aged design makes me worry about it.

QingQi QM250GY
    QM250GY.jpg
    really nice, good looking SM, but is it good enough for 6 weeks non-stop trip???

Then there is some enduros from Lifan - LF250GY and ten thousands others chinese bikemakers...

I don't wanna be riding my electric chinese scooter forever here...
    So what do you think guys?
    Tomik

quick clarification on the XTR passenger footpegs: the 2009 model comes with them installed as standard. mine is a 2008 bike so i had to buy them separately.

i can't comment on the other bikes, but for the XTR: i wouldn't take it on a 2-up long distance tour without some serious modifications to the saddle and rear shock!

china hunter
    Thank you for your advise Felix, I think I will try to find something, which will offer me what I need without such modifications on a bike. Its a shame really coz I like this XTR
    I would like be already on the way somewhere north-west...
    i'm gonna browse some more infos again...

Tomik,

Welcome to MCM and it looks like you've got yourself pointed in the right direction!

I've test ridden (only very briefly) the WJ250 you're talking about and IMHO the fit and finish of the bike doesn't match the engine. As far as a dirt bike goes, the engine is awesome but the rest of the package (like the plastics, frame and welding) turned me off.

For the type of trip you're considering, I would actually take the Shineray GY7 as a serious option for two up travel with some luggage. I think you'll find the easy to repair 200 is a better choice in the wilds than a high performing 200 which can not be readily fixed.

That said, my wife and I traveled long distances on the QingQi 200 and even a couple 150's in our time. Slower is actually safer in China and, to be sure, no one is going anywhere very fast in the wilds of China.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice as one bike is infinitely better than none. Be sure and supply us with lots of pics!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

china hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Tomik,

Welcome to MCM and it looks like you've got yourself pointed in the right direction!

I've test ridden (only very briefly) the WJ250 you're talking about and IMHO the fit and finish of the bike doesn't match the engine. As far as a dirt bike goes, the engine is awesome but the rest of the package (like the plastics, frame and welding) turned me off.

For the type of trip you're considering, I would actually take the Shineray GY7 as a serious option for two up travel with some luggage. I think you'll find the easy to repair 200 is a better choice in the wilds than a high performing 200 which can not be readily fixed.

That said, my wife and I traveled long distances on the QingQi 200 and even a couple 150's in our time. Slower is actually safer in China and, to be sure, no one is going anywhere very fast in the wilds of China.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice as one bike is infinitely better than none. Be sure and supply us with lots of pics!

CC
    Cheers CC for your honest opinion. I agree about GY-7 advantages , the ability to be fixed anywhere. But I have focused on WJ not for speed - it is HPs and Nms what I am looking for I had DR350 in Europe few years ago and I miss it - it was so much fun on fields, in forests and mountains, sometimes in a river half under water (once all in the river)

I am really afraid go somewhere like Tibet with two people and big bags on 200ccm. I would like to get as much potential from chinese bike as I can legally of course. Few chinese friends keep telling me to get some japanese, or austrian enduros 600 - 650ccm with fake number plates on it, but: NO THANKS!

I'v got another complications here. I think there is no Shineray shop/service in Liuzhou, not even in Guangxi? And after today's call to Wonjan, there is no shop in Guangxi at all Nearest one somewhere in Guangdong.
    The guy from Guandong is able to send the bike to me for fair price and free delivery .

SO! How do chinese companies solve warranty issues? I mean in my case with no service around here?

But there is still Shineray "long march" GY-7 in the game and next week chinese driving licence exams...

so right now i have to ......

But next time maybe

Tomik

PS:sorry, I like these smilies and must add them everywhere haha

I would have to agree with Carl... I really think the best budget bike for Chiner travel has got to be the Shineray GY7. It's comfortable and smooth on the road. The wide seat is really nice and it eats up the long streches of bad roads. The only problem I had with mine was the tripple clamp and it seems like the issue has been fixed. There were only a few that did have a problem and none since the new design was implemented.

china hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersignet View Post
    I would have to agree with Carl... I really think the best budget bike for Chiner travel has got to be the Shineray GY7. It's comfortable and smooth on the road. The wide seat is really nice and it eats up the long streches of bad roads. The only problem I had with mine was the tripple clamp and it seems like the issue has been fixed. There were only a few that did have a problem and none since the new design was implemented.
    Hi Supersignet, I know what you and CC mean, for the price it looks like a hard worker. But there is another BUT! I know about your tripple clamp trouble and have seen the improvement. I am just curious about your one post:

" I've been tempted to try the bike again, but for some reason I'm still a little leary."

If you could clear this one for me, I would be seriously thinking about "long marcher".

http://www.srmf2c.com/yy_cpcs.asp?cartype=1&id=96

It says 8800RMB! Compare to Wojnan for 13800RMB I get 5000 spare RMBs

What do you think about engine, and other pieces on your bike? And do you know any services around here in Guangxi? I know you are on other side of the province, just if you know any, please let me know about them. As close to Liuzhou as you know

Have you ever planed trip to Liuzhou on your bike?

Hi Tomik,

In your first post you asked if the QM250 would handle a 6 week trip and I would have to say.... absolutely. Unfortunately you won't be able to buy one until the end of the year here in China, so that would leave the QM200 as the choice from QingQi (which is also a pretty solid machine). All of these Chinese moto's you picked will probably get you there, but two up riding with a bunch of gear is really going to strain even the best of them. Look closely at the forks, shocks, and other components and you can see where they cut corners to get the prices down.

Whichever one you buy, get familiar with it and stay on top of the maintenance. A few extra buck on good components like chains and tires will save you major hassles when you're out in the wild.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

china hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Hi Tomik,

In your first post you asked if the QM250 would handle a 6 week trip and I would have to say.... absolutely. Unfortunately you won't be able to buy one until the end of the year here in China, so that would leave the QM200 as the choice from QingQi (which is also a pretty solid machine). All of these Chinese moto's you picked will probably get you there, but two up riding with a bunch of gear is really going to strain even the best of them. Look closely at the forks, shocks, and other components and you can see where they cut corners to get the prices down.

Whichever one you buy, get familiar with it and stay on top of the maintenance. A few extra buck on good components like chains and tires will save you major hassles when you're out in the wild.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Thanks for post ChinaV,

QingQi has got one big plus for me and that is theirs shop/service few minutes away from my home. My chinese friend is just selling one QM200 for 6000RMB. About one year old, nice condition. I am already in to Shineray by the way I will order it probably in next few days. Just checking last details about it.

10. #10 Re: Do you ride WJ250GY? (WONJAN) 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi tomik,
    did you buy the shineray and if so what is your expirence? or another one?
    thanks
    heiri