Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Okay, here's a puzzler for you. I've got a Bashan 49cc scootamathingie, sat around for a 9 months, whatever. Had some problems with the throttle getting stuck in the carb, and it revving up to god knows how high. (The thing has no rev meter). We got that fixed. I put a good six miles on it. It was doing fine.

Park it over night, go out the next day, the battery is dead. No worries, give it a kick start, and it's purring like a kitten. In neutral, i press the brake, and it putters out and dies. What the heck does the brake have to do with the engine? I mess around with it, turn the idle up, even try braking while giving it gas. No biscuits. Same thing happens with the turn signals. Turn signals stall the bike? What's wierd is that it doesn't happen with the headlights, which, theoretically, should draw more power.

Now, i don't know if this thing has a magneto or an alternator or whatever, but my theory is that might be the cause of the problem. As the bike stalls, the lights also fade, so i'm thinking the spark plug isn't getting enough juice to keep firing, and I suspect that if I put another battery on it, I'll run into the same problem.

That being said, I've got little to no mechanical experience. So I will give you the stats and let you have fun.

It's essentially one of these: http://www.bashan-motorcycle.com/50c...le/640567.html

The thing to keep in mind, is it's an automatic clutch. Thanks in advance!

2. #2 Re: Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 
    First thing I would try is a new battery.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Do the simple things first, check plug, plug lead, battery... if the moto has been laying round near on a year (ok 8 months - but rounded up it qualifies as a year), it needs maintenance. Regular routine stuff... the standard Chinese brand motorcycle batteries aren't that great especially the cheap end of the market... I'm with him^ - go with battery...

4. #4 Re: Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 

5. #5 Re: Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I will. And humanbeing, you rock for those manuals!

6. #6 Re: Brain Teaser - Stalls in neutral... When braking? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Alright, pulled the battery, had it tested, and it tested good. I got to playing around and tried testing some other things. I cannot get to the magneto/stator/generator (Whatever is on this bike) to test the resistance in there. (Should be a magneto). Well, I COULD get to it, but i'd have to pull the carb and the airbox i think.

What I Could get to was the Rectifying Voltage Stabilizer. According to the first manual in the book, testing the connectors should show resistance between the yellow and green wires on the regulator between 5k-100k ohms. I get 0 continuity. In fact the only continuity I do get is with the positive connector on my multimeter connected to the white post on the Rectifying voltage stabilizer, and the negative connected to the red post on the rectifying voltage stabilizer. What's even more wierd is it only works when the multimeter is set to test 2k ohms. When it's set to test 20k ohms, it shows 0 continuity, and when it's set to test 200 ohms it shows 0 continuity.

So i unplugged it, turned the bike on. Runs like a champ, but none of the lights work except the headlight, which is wierd, since yellow runs to the headlight switch. Remember, with it in, the headlight still works. The headlight is more dim with the rectifier in, however. One way or another, i'm going to take the rectifier to a shop, see if they will test it, and if it's bad, or they can't test it, get it replaced. If it tests good, i'm going to pull out my AR-15 and turn this bike into swiss cheese.

Edit: I would just like to add, i tried to pull the cover that goes over the flywheel where the magneto resides, but it wouldn't budge, so testing from that direction is probably not going to work. Special tools are not within the budget.