Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Types of Changs

1. #1 Types of Changs 
    C-Moto Senior
    I was wondering how many types of Changs there are. There appears to be 3 major engines. Side Valve, OHV and some sort of semi watercooled. There also seem to be a basic body and at least 2 types of semi faired versions. I have seen Earles forks and telescoping forks. Are they all plunger rear or do some have a normal rear suspension?

2. #2 Types of Changs 
    C-Moto Senior
    There is only 1 type of Chang Jiang 750. That is the green or black plunger framed sidecar bike. The engine can be either an air cooled flathead 6V or 12V, or it could have an OHV motor either air or water cooled. Now for the other types of sidecar bikes you refer to they are either Guan Jun or Xiang Jiang or they have a few other brands. They are swing arm rrear suspension and either telescopic or leading link front ends. The police used to use these alot and they also come with a veriety of engines, from the flathead to the OHV. I stripped a Guang Jun frame and placed it next to a BMW /7 frame and they were nearly identical.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

Quote Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
    I was wondering how many types of Changs there are. There appears to be 3 major engines. Side Valve, OHV and some sort of semi watercooled. There also seem to be a basic body and at least 2 types of semi faired versions. I have seen Earles forks and telescoping forks. Are they all plunger rear or do some have a normal rear suspension?

I beg to differ Jim........but it all a bit of a mix and match.

Chang Jiang (the actual Nanchang Aircraft Factory) made the "Plastic" Changs as well as the M1, M1M and M1S.

The "plastic" is the M15 and a "plastic" Chang but with plunger was the M5.

As far as I've been able to uncover.......A bunch of companies made all or some of the models, some exactly the same and others with changes mostly to bodywork..........however there were quite a few different combinations of engine configurations as well. Some were higher quality than others.........imagine that !

It's similar to the bike business in China nowadays............a bunch of engine companies making engines and bikes but also selling parts and engines to other assemblers..........some are just component factories, some just engine factories........that is why you have a lot of similar bikes with a mix match of parts that you see on other manufacturers bikes and very little exclucivity.