Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Galaxy Motorcycle Factory Visit 
    Last Tuesday ChinaV, Franki, Franki's friend Jon and I went to visit the lonley motorcycles at the Galaxy motorcycle factory here in Guangdong. I'd heard a fair bit about Galaxy and their bikes over the past year, but I never thought they were anything more than an assembly house that was throwing together bikes made from other company's parts.

It turns out that Galaxy is actually a smaller subdivision of one of the larger motorcycle makers here in China and that Galaxy was started to gain export interest from the foreign motorcycle market. The team at Galaxy is young seem to be trying hard to come out with something special for the foreign and domestic markets. We saw things like the development of their own Kawasaki based DOHC water cooled 250, their own F.I. application, some nice CNC work and some higher quality craftsmanship.

The bikes themselves seem well built. Using the same trusty China clone Honda CB engine series. The forks we were told are their version of a KTM adjustable USD forks. The fork tube diameter, long travel and good damping was a surprise. If the seals inside the big beefy things can hold up to some abuse it looks like they could be very good. The real swing arm we are told is crafted in house and has some of the nicest welding I have ever seen on a Chinese made motorcycle. The rear shock however looks to be the same as we have seen on many China bikes of this kind and should really be upgraded is any serious riding is undertaken.

After going over the bikes in the waiting area ChinaV and I strapped on the gear and went for a ride. We got to test 2 bikes on their track. One was the Galaxy XTR 250 (really a 230) and the other was a smaller 150. I wasn't really impressed by the bikes we were given to ride. Neither were well setup and both seemed to be mules that had been beat quite badly. One was missing parts, like an exhaust heat sheild and I dammed near cooked me bike pants riding around the small test track. It's things like this were Chinese factories really fall short. If people come to look at your setu and test your equipment one would think that you as a factory who is proud of your product would provide the best means possible for demonstrating the selling points of your product.

to be continued.....
    Last edited by Supersignet; 07-18-2009 at 03:43 AM.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    these are the same as pitster pro in america i think...what is the liquid cooled version like?

im looking agetting a enduro 250 l.c and even sellin them ....

is the 250/230 the same motor as the honda crf 230?

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    these are the same as pitster pro in america i think...what is the liquid cooled version like?

im looking agetting a enduro 250 l.c and even sellin them ....

is the 250/230 the same motor as the honda crf 230?
    It is the same basic bike, but the Puzzey/ Pitster is made at a different factory.

these bikes actually look really nice with a quility build. Thanks for sharing Mike.

... not like my bike that has broken plastics everywhere, needed a new battery and a new master cylinder 3 weeks after the warranty ran out... sonofa...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

this looks veru nice is this new brand or......

Where is the "sMc" brand from? I only can see the partial "southern..."

I don't know if Pitster and Galaxy are closely related, but I noticed that the off-road MX bike which used to be shown on Pitster's site as "coming" (while the enduro and moto were in stock) is not shown on Pitster's site anymore. They only show the enduro and moto now, and both are discounted to $3k from $3400.

Is sMc from the US, and is that the reason Pitster won't carry the off-road only bike?

I need more sleep. chromedioxide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Where is the "sMc" brand from? I only can see the partial "southern..."

I don't know if Pitster and Galaxy are closely related, but I noticed that the off-road MX bike which used to be shown on Pitster's site as "coming" (while the enduro and moto were in stock) is not shown on Pitster's site anymore. They only show the enduro and moto now, and both are discounted to $3k from $3400.

Is sMc from the US, and is that the reason Pitster won't carry the off-road only bike?

http://www.smcgb.com/index.php

found the site, says smc is a american company, but the site is in the uk.

Thanks for the link! I think that SMC is the company headed by the guy named Chris something when Galaxy had their site up and going. He was or is supposed to be one of the guys who helped set up Galaxy as a separate entity from its Yinhe corporate parent.

The bikes should be decent for those UK members looking for an off-roader. When you click on the "news" section there are short articles about SMC in the world, and the August, '08 article is about SMC winning class in the Taklamaken, although I am pretty sure the bikes went under the "Galaxy" name for the race.

I need more sleep. chromedioxide's Avatar
    http://www.galaxymotorcycle.com/

Well it looks like the galaxy site is up and running, but it looks like everything is 2 stroke/air cooled. I hope the didn't discontinue the liquid cooled 4 strokes.

Thanks for that link! It's nice to know they have some stability, besides this thread of the factory visit. I have a feeling they messed up on the "2-stroke" description in their specs, and their bikes are all 4-strokes.

South Africa and Australia via Puzey, UK via CCM, and the US and Canada via Pitster Pro do seem to get a better bike in the liquid-cooled Loncin engine, although looking at the Puzey site they do show the air-cooled versions being available as well as the higher end liquid-cooled bikes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast