Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Im going to be working towards opening a dealership next spring! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am planning on opening a dealership in newfoundland canada next spring, if everything works out.

I am going to be selling hyosung, pitster pro, johnny pag, as well as getting some orders from roketa if they have good parts flow. also going to be selling legend boats, used harleys, and used snowmobiles, as well as tons of accessories.

When I get each bike, it will be taken down, everything check, loctite'd, and rebuilt to make sure quality is there.

any help from current china dealers would greatly be appreciated...

The guy to get in touch with is GPPeej. Although he's operating out of the US, he's not too far from you (in the global sense) and has already done a lot of the necessary legwork to get a shop up and running.

If you don't mind my asking.... how did you choose the manufacturers you chose and have you already made agreements with them?

Also, what's the moto market like in Newf? I've heard almost nothing about it.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Kojack...go for it. Hopefully your motivation is to be your own boss and 'cuz you like to be around bikes. And, perhaps global warming will give you a few more riding days each season.

I'm guessing from the brands that you've choosen so far, that your area likes cruisers, dirt and dual sports. And customers everywhere want a bargain. I like your choices, but would be most leary of Roketa. I have seen alot of them here...yet never talked to a happy owner.

Selecting a bargain brand is never easy. I do lots of internet searching for "complaining + bragging" on user groups, forums, and blogs. The International Scooter BBS is an excellent scooter resource...and it's searchable. Sometimes you will find that purchasers are so pissed off at the bargain brand that they post warnings and even create whole websites dedicated to sharing their story. Take a look at SunLsucks dot com for example.

But, there is no substitute for getting out and riding with your customers. I try to get 3 to 5 thousand miles a year on two wheels.

And Carl, picking brands usually means ruling out all those that are currently taken. In Wisconsin a dealership gets a 10 mile radius of exclusive territory. And most top level powesports manufs enforce similar areas of exclusivity. The reason Chinese moto-products CAN'T set up solid dealerships is that the websales overlap into a real (brick+mortar) dealerships territory. And why would a real dealership buy inventory and promote the brand if fly-by-night-webdealers can undercut, diminish brand image, and dodge state or provincial rules, laws, and fees?

Also Carl, distributors and importers create a major hurdle for new dealerships who want to obtain samples for inspection and testing. They often won't sell you wholesale samples unless you sign up with them. It's kind of a chicken before the egg type of problem. Why sign up with everyone just to get samples? It's cheaper to go to Indy or buy from the drop-shippers. Cudos to the distributor to figure out a way to solve this bottleneck of supply with cheap samples.

Peej

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I chose the brands because they are the more reliable ones, besides roketa....the way a selected them was like this...

Hyosung - performance/sport bikes
    Johnny pag - Custom choppers
    Pitster Pro - Dual sport/ mx bikes
    Roketa - atv, gocarts, UTVs, and Adventure bikes.
    Legend boats - obvious. good boats/inexpensive.

the used harley thing is there are more harleys around here than anything now, so, thats an obvious choice.

I ride a modded KLR 650, im going to bore it to a 705, I ride it in the winter and everything...I love that bike. i was hoping to get something similar to that style bike to sell as well. maybe a moto guzzi line...

right now i am running the family business which is steel building construction so I can get a building fairly cheap. My friend is an excellent mechanic who would work for me, and we are going to start doing mods for bikes, and snowmobiles...

Well it sounds like you've got the resources you need to open up!
    Please be sure to keep us posted on the progress!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Kojack,

It's great to see a local maritimer expanding the chinese brand to the market. I represent SAGA Canada which supplies scooters and dual sport to 40+ dealers across Canada. I am based out of Moncton NB but look after Ont east

If you are interested, check out our website @ www.sagacanada.ca and leave me message with your contact info and I can fill you in on our program.

Thanks,

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    HI,

I certainly will check you out. also im looking for a reliable line of ATV/UTVs.

any recommendations?

There is a guy out of Quebec that deals with only ATV/UTV's but the brand escapes me. I will ask a few people and get back to you.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I got my first Chinese bike (Giovanni) a few months ago. I was always afraid to get the chinese models, but one of the companies wanted to sponsor my ATV forum and decided they would send me a 250 cc dirt bike.

I am really impressed with quality. Although, like you said, loctite everything.

Good luck with the business. It's nice to see more and more canadian dealers, as it's hard to find parts for some of the models.