Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Thanks 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Bar, I've done this twice now. Recently, I put in 20w to try to cut down the diving in the front end. It helps some but doesn't totally eliminate the problem. Both times I measured out 330 ml and poured it in. I've had no problems with this amount.
    david,
    I am little dense here. So by just removing the bottom bolt and pumping the front end you can get out the whole 330ml of fork oil. That's great if am am understanding you correctly. I never have gotten all the oil out by using the drain bolts on other bikes. Unfortunately most newer bikes don't have drain bolts anymore so usually I can get most out with a suction pump and long tube.

I just got my new 2009 Qink XF200 and haven't notices that much fork dive but I am taking it easy on the bike since I am in the break in period. She does do well in the twisties.

Anyway thanks for all your documentation.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #22 Re: Thanks 
    C-Moto Senior
    Not to change the subject of this POST - But thought I'd give this a try and ask - Can anyone advise on adjustment of the front fork tubes to LOWER The bike a bit? I'ce had several people tell me now I can lower the front abit - becuase I am vertically challanged! LOL :) i ONLY AM LOOKING AT ABOUT A INNCH OR LESS. Looking for detailed advise on which bolts to loosen on how to achieve this adjustment. Thanks much!
    Andrew

3. #23 Re: Thanks 
    JTc,
    Not to be a smart ass but if you have never done the lowering of a bike by dropping it down in the triple trees then I recommend for safety reason that you take it to a good independent shop to have it done. Also you should lower the rear a like amount by reducing the preload on the rear shock to keep the bike level.
    Should not take more than an hour of labor.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

4. #24 Re: Thanks 
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    david,
    I am little dense here. So by just removing the bottom bolt and pumping the front end you can get out the whole 330ml of fork oil. That's great if am am understanding you correctly. I never have gotten all the oil out by using the drain bolts on other bikes. Unfortunately most newer bikes don't have drain bolts anymore so usually I can get most out with a suction pump and long tube.

I just got my new 2009 Qink XF200 and haven't notices that much fork dive but I am taking it easy on the bike since I am in the break in period. She does do well in the twisties.

Anyway thanks for all your documentation.
    Bar, I get the diving while braking. I mostly drive back and forth to work and sometime have to stop quickly in heavy traffic. The front end dives a little too much for me so I am working on that. If the 20w is not enough for me I might go either heavier or stiffer springs.

The bolt on the bottom is not a drain bolt but rather holds the cartrage. It can be used to drain the oil if the internal parts are pulled per my instructions.

5. #25 Re: Thanks 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks Barnone - After examing the front end of the Qlink I probably will not go that route anyways. If you get any out of the front tubes it would only be about 1/2" or less, becuase the top of the tubes would actually hit the bars, and without bar risers I do not see it being worth it. I'm still trying to locate my lost spanner wrench to make that rear shock adjustment. I'm sure a few turns will probably give me what I'm looking for. Oh yeah thanks for looking out for my safety!!! lol :)

6. #26 Re: Changing fork oil on Qlink QingQi 200 
    C-Moto Noob
    On the old school forks I used to add extra oil to get more progressive compression in the fork and do this now on my trials bikes. Usually make 10 mm changes in depth until satisfied.

7. #27 Re: Changing fork oil on Qlink QingQi 200 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by sven trials View Post
    On the old school forks I used to add extra oil to get more progressive compression in the fork and do this now on my trials bikes. Usually make 10 mm changes in depth until satisfied.
    Friendly and useful first post in MCM, sven trials. Welcome. You list your location as "wa" -- given your interest in trials, is it safe to assume that is Washington state? Or have you figured a way to trial your way up through Rock Creek Park in the nation's capital?

And are you using a China bike for your trials riding? I think a lot of us would be interested in that if it's the case. Oh, and the rule around here is that your bike doesn't exist without pictures! Please feel free to post early and often!

Again, welcome and looking forward to more smart posts.

cheers
    Last edited by euphonius; 12-24-2011 at 05:53 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #28 Re: Changing fork oil on Qlink QingQi 200 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the feedback, I ride trials in Washington State after taking a 10yr break and run a Gasgas 280 pro. My interest in China bike is of seeing what is new and different. My view of these bike reminds me of jap bike of the 70's, but I am finding that they are more than that. I enjoy the trip reports and what people are doing worldwide. I am trying to buy then build a KIkker Hardknock which is a Chinese sourced bike and if that falls though I may go with a Dualsport instead.

9. #29 Re: Changing fork oil on Qlink QingQi 200 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by sven trials View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I ride trials in Washington State after taking a 10yr break and run a Gasgas 280 pro. My interest in China bike is of seeing what is new and different. My view of these bike reminds me of jap bike of the 70's, but I am finding that they are more than that. I enjoy the trip reports and what people are doing worldwide. I am trying to buy then build a KIkker Hardknock which is a Chinese sourced bike and if that falls though I may go with a Dualsport instead.
    A GasGas 280 -- you mean like this? (With apologies to those inside the GFW with no veepeeyen...)

There is no one more skilled than a good trials rider!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #30 Re: Changing fork oil on Qlink QingQi 200 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have an older version of that bike. My first bike was a yamaha ty80 in 1976 and have ridden woods, motocross, but always loved trials. Its kind of like golf where you only challenge yourself and in an event your competition tries to help you, not beat you. Wish we had more rock areas in WA, Logs and mud is fun but rocks demand more from you.

st

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast