Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #41 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    C-Moto Noob
    Well I just put on my first 400 miles on my XP200. I use it to hunt the desert areas of California. I made my own rack out of part available at the local Loswes. I have not owned a motorcycle before and was wondering why the oil got so brown? Is this dust through the air filter? In any case I changed the oil and it looks fine. Also any suggestions on important maintenance during the breaking first use. Also the bike does not go well through sandy patches any suggestions on better tires that will still work well on road? Thanks ...TEN
    1127001035.jpg

2. #42 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ten;
    Do you have any close up pics of your rack?
    1976 Honda GL1000 (work in progress)
    1983 Honda CX650E
    1997 Kawasaki KLR 650
    2010 Konker SM200

3. #43 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    C-Moto Noob
    0204010941a.jpg

Here is the rack I built. Very solid. I am looking for a metal box to bolt to the framing. Any ideas where to get a small metal box? Also how does the tachometer work?. My tack is not working and the wiring diagram is not very good. I want to check the connections but do not want to take apart the wiring harness...

4. #44 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    With that rack, won't the plywood get wet and expand and break? I hope not, otherwise it looks great. I love seeing things people have made themselves.

You could have a look at those cheap metal dvd boxes, about 300mm x 220mm, they are big enough for tools and a few odds n sods and they lock but the lock is weak. If that is not big enough then places like 'supercheap auto' or 'halfords' or whatever they are in your country (which is it?) have a large selection of strong tradesman's tool boxes in diamond plate or galvanised steel in all sorts of convenient sizes. Even black ones!

I used to have a metal ammo-box bolted on my bike many years ago, it was very strong and took a good padlock. Still sits in the shed full of tools after fortv years. The world is full of them, cheap.

Nowdays I just strap a decent (student's size) rucksack very carefully onto the back of my bike, I had to look through quite a few for one that wouldn't hang over onto the exhaust or into the wheel but it is waterproof, collapses down to flat, and can of course be worn on my back easily when I get off if I so want. It was only a couple of bucks in a 'cheap' goods discount shop and I often put a waterproof plastic container inside it to protect soft stuff like loaves of bread from squashing! Sounds daft but this works so well I haven't bothered looking for more expensive stuff. Just make very sure the straps don't dangle into the wheel! I have ridden mine on gravel and mud and bumpy tracks many times without it shifting. Oh yeah and I even have a polystyrene insert box with an extra, padded aluminium foil type liner (supermarket, $2) that means I can carry frozen goods home in the full heat of summer! AND it just takes my crash helmet with a squeeze.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #45 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    Hey guys, putting together an order. Need a sense of who's interested. Please sound off at this link...

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...1401#post21401

Thanks!
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

6. #46 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I just made this rack - Works well. I've attached a givi plate but can remove at any time. I'm thinking about rounding the corners to make it look a little better. I also had to trim the grips. Bit worried that it's blocking of my rear light a little - Has anyone gone and got a small numberplate and cut this mudguard?
    Attached Images

7. #47 Re: QLink/QingQi rack...cause Carl asked me to 
    Here's what mine looks like cut, laurpat. Notice that I made a hugger for the tire to keep the spray away from the rear shock. The plate light was an LED set I had laying around.103_0078.jpg103_0077.jpg
    Last edited by david3921; 03-05-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345