Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Help me in making the right decision 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi to all

I posted in the introduction section about me and my issue but seems that maybe I got the wrong section in the forum so I will ask the same question here if I break some rules delete this thread. Thanks

My name is Nikola and I come from Macedonia (North Macedonia).

I just got my license for motorbikes and have a big decision ahead of me in purchasing a bike.

I`m 194cm tall and 102kg weight. I`m looking for a touring adventure bike.

I was looking at the Japanese bikes from Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki but the prices are a little bit above what I can afford.

So the prices of the Japanese bikes here are:
    Honda cb500x - 7700E
    Honda nc760x - 8700E manual transmission
    Kawasaki Versys 650 with panniers 10690E
    Suzuki V-storm 650 base model was 9100E

So I`ve decided that I want a Chinese bike my options and available bikes are:
    CoLove 500x = 5500E (don`t know if it is with panniers or not)
    Benelli 502x = 6500E
    CF Moto 650mt- 5500E ( no panners and crash guard )

Cf moto has an official dealer rest of them don`t have an official dealer or variety of spare parts.
    My question is which of these bikes is best in quality and reliability.
    Also, I`ve read the reviews of prince666 member of the forum for the CFMoto and GSR member for the Colove seems pretty well build bikes.
    But which one would be better suited for me I think that no matter which one I`ll choose I would need to change the wind protector as I`m 194cm tall.

Every help is appreciated.

Thank you

2. #2 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    C-Moto Noob
    A small update I did contact the dealer for CFmoto and they said the price is with side panniers.
    For the CoLove 500x the price of 5400E is with no panniers and there is not available option to pay for panniers I have to buy them elsewhere.

3. #3 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    Nikolce,

You don't say where you are. Given the site I'll assume China. In my experience outside of CFMoto and Benelli most Chinese brands don't go the Western route of dealerships. The bikes tend to be sold at what ever dealer buys them from the manufacturer. I'm more familiar with Cove as they are located in Chongqing where I was before pandemic. They have always been very cool and good to me. They do have service centers around China, but if you don't read Chinese they are difficult to find without help.

As for recommendations. This largely depends on your personal choice and budget. For the three models you have identified my personal opinion is: CF Moto is the better build. The stopper for me on the CF Moto was the 17" mag wheels (I wanted more dirt capability and the 19" front with tubeless spokes hit the mart. At least at the time they were not available on the CF Moto.) The price on the 650MT is lower then when I looked in 2019, must be closing them out? Benelli is decent quality and looks good, sadly it is overweight and under powered (how you feel about this is a personal choice), the Cove (Colove, ... it has several names) the build quality is decedent and the power weight ration is good for the size. BUT, the size... I'm 182cm and 76 kg. Even with the higher seat from the manufacturer the ergonomics are too small. This is largely a personal choice and you can get around some of it with raised and different handlebars, and maybe a custom seat. Adding panniers is not difficult and easily purchased on Taobao if not locally.
    How about some other suggestions? CF Moto has an 800cc ADV bike coming (may even be out) that is derived from its partnership with KTM. I would expect better ergonomics and maybe a better fit for your size. Cove (Colove) also has an 800cc ADV bike coming. Voge has a 650 (?) ADV bike which looks good. Again better ergonomics. I'm aware of one westerner who had one (a member of a WeChat group I'm in). I highly recommend at a minimum that you sit on each model (and ride if possible) and decide if it fits you. Your size is going to be an issue. Even my 182cm is big for most Chinese bikes. But again, this is a matter of personal choice.
    Lastly, do you know other foreigners who ride (in China)? If not, or if you are in the Chengdu area I can put you into a WeChat group for English speaking foreign motorcyclists. You can get more opinions from that group. There are a few who are knowledgeable and you can weed through the crap to get answers. Sadly this website is largely dead.

Good luck on what ever you get and if this pandemic ever ends hope to meet you on the road someday.

GSR
    ZF-KY 500x , KTM 530, Ducati 1200s

4. #4 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    C-Moto Noob
    GSR

Thanks for the reply. As for the location I`m in Europe at the moment and I`m asking for help because I can`t afford any Japanese bikes here and the used ones from 2008 and 2009 are about the same price as CF moto, Bennellie, or Colove new. So thanks for the info I already put in payment for the CF Moto 650MT as it was the best in ergonomics and the price was right for the 2021 model with crash bar, taller windscreen, side panniers, and hand protestors was 5850E. So I`m just waiting to get it in my country and start driving it.

5. #5 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolce View Post
    GSR Thanks for the reply. As for the location I`m in Europe at the moment and I`m asking for help because I can`t afford any Japanese bikes here and the used ones from 2008 and 2009 are about the same price as CF moto, Bennellie, or Colove new. So thanks for the info I already put in payment for the CF Moto 650MT as it was the best in ergonomics and the price was right for the 2021 model with crash bar, taller windscreen, side panniers, and hand protestors was 5850E. So I`m just waiting to get it in my country and start driving it.
    Good choice... although the 800MT (KTM 790 engine) looks like a worthy contender. You've paid your deposit though, so look forward to your new ride. Post pics and a RR when you get 'er and get to swing a leg over. Good luck.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Good choice... although the 800MT (KTM 790 engine) looks like a worthy contender. You've paid your deposit though, so look forward to your new ride. Post pics and a RR when you get 'er and get to swing a leg over. Good luck.
    I do get it but we don`t know when it`s gonna be available in Europe and how much will it cost

7. #7 Re: Help me in making the right decision 
    C-Moto Noob
    Your dealer gives the best solution. Some may complain it's costly but its the best