Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Noob from CO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Noob from CO 
    When I say noob, I mean it! I have never even owned a motorcycle...and still don't. BUT, I will be heading out tomorrow evening to purchase an '08 LF200GY from an individual about 80 miles away. He has it plated and registered and the bike has only 300k on the clock, that's what, 186 miles!? He’s asking $1450, but I’ll wave some cash around and can probably take it for 1300 even. Best part of it is he purchased new at a registered American Lifan Dealer. That will make me sleep better even if he won’t budge on the price. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank the community for providing some great information (I’ve been poaching for some time). I look forward to contributing some info, or at least some pics in the near future!

Right on HB and welcome to the two wheeled world!
    It was for sure one of the biggest things to happen in my life and, I'm sure, the lives of many members on here. Did you take the MSF class?

Even though 200cc might not seem like a lot, it's enough to get you in trouble and still get killer fuel economy. Keep us posted on how things progress!

Ride Safe, Have Fun,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Thank you for the warm welcome CC. Picked up the bike last night and now just waiting for the helmet to arrive tomorrow. Even though I'm a bit rusty it's still a fun little bike. I can't wait to get a few hours in the saddle to see what it can do. I can really see why people like these bikes so much, such a great bike for the price! Anyway, thanks again CC and the MCM community, pics coming soon.

Hey HomeBrewed,

I'm over on the other side of the divide near Black Hawk. Congrats on your first China Moto. I don't own a China Moto myself, but have been posting and absorbing information and making friends on this site for a while. Couldn't ask for a better resource!

I've got a Yamaha XT225 that I use on and off-road. Drop me a line if you're interested in riding.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Black Hawk, CO

Much appreciated Dan! I just got the bike insured and the helmet in today. I took it out for a few miles and WOW, what a blast! I’ll definitely take you up on that offer, I just need to do some routine maintenance on the bike before I can trust it on the open road; oil change, jetting (I’m at 8300’), chain tension, and a double check of every bolt on the bike. Colorado seems to have some of the most scenic rides in the US and I would like nothing more than to get out there and enjoy it. I’ll get back to you.
    Cheers,
    HB

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewed View Post
    Much appreciated Dan! I just got the bike insured and the helmet in today. I took it out for a few miles and WOW, what a blast! I’ll definitely take you up on that offer, I just need to do some routine maintenance on the bike before I can trust it on the open road; oil change, jetting (I’m at 8300’), chain tension, and a double check of every bolt on the bike. Colorado seems to have some of the most scenic rides in the US and I would like nothing more than to get out there and enjoy it. I’ll get back to you.
    Cheers,
    HB

Make sure you take your camera with you, 8,300' is higher than anywhere in Australia!

Welcome and safe riding mate.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

Finally got my plates yesterday and took her out for a ride. Here’s my new LF @ 9,300’. I have already ordered a conical filter and I’m looking for new exhaust. Need to pinch ever bit of oxygen I can around here!
    090814_162434.jpg

Congrats HB! Bike looks nice n' spiffy against those beautiful mountains and trails.

How do you like the bike so far?

CC

Love the bike, I purposefully purchase a full face helmet to cover my shit eatin’ grin! Like one of those “where’ve you been all my life” moments every time I ride. My parents strongly discouraged ATV’s of any sort going up and my sister (a doctor) calls us “donors.” Anyway, the bike is great and part of the fun is making improvements. Have you heard of anyone trying the wire, plug, and coil kit from http://www.china-moto.biz/comersus7f/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=51
    As I’m sure you know it seems to be geared toward the III’s and B’s, but would you anticipate a fitment issue with these items for the LFGY? If not, I'd like to give them a try for the rest of us.
    Cheers,
    HB

Hell yeah! A full face helmet is perfect for hiding shit eating grins. Also not bad for singing/hollarin' in the helmet.

Can't say I've heard of anyone on MCM trying the kit you mentioned but those kits generally yield minimal results. That said, I'd like to see the results of such a project.

If you want a little more juice, the first thing would probably be to richen up the mixture, but that's likely not a good idea given your altitude.

A new exhaust can wmay also be a good idea and have the added benefit of making you sound faster. Don't get one that's too small though cuz' you'll annoy neighbors.

Also, pull your plug and take a look at it periodically. If it's not a good quality/manufacturer plug, it may be worth the extra few bucks to replace it. You can also use this (to a minimal degree) to tell how your engine is running (rich or lean).

Anyway, there's a whole world of farkling ahead of you so easy does it!

Paz,
    CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast