Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: Episode 26 / 18 minutes long 
    Episode 30, 31 minutes long. A few days spent exploring San Carlos de Bariloche, a mountain resort renown for its chocolate, trout fishing and skiing, also its curious past regarding a mad scientist's experiments with nuclear reactions, and the devastating fallout from the 2011 Puyehue volcanic eruption. A few tenuous links to Australia, also a ride up a funicular to see some amazing views, plus a bit about music censorship during Argentina's military dictatorship.

2. #42 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    New episode, 18 minutes long. Leaving Bariloche I see graffiti sprayed on the road surface that is a reminder of Argentina's tragic past. Scooting around Lake Gutierrez, where wind has whipped up some small waves, I pass the 6000 km mark on my bike's odometer, riding through lovely Patagonian countryside and Ruta 40, after 303 kms arriving in the town of Esquel where I have difficulty finding a room for me and Atwakey, dental problems manifest (again!), and find my expensive cameras and GPS units are all broken. But a surprise is waiting for me in the form of an historic steam engine, the Old Patagonian Express.

3. #43 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Amusing sound effects
    Pity about the device failures
    Lucky you found the multi-disciplined dentist
    Oral ABx...
    22000 km direct to Sydney
    Awesome
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #44 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    new epsiode, #32, only 10 minutes long: In my final afternoon in Esquel I visit a local art exhibition, see something relating to the Falklands War posing as art, see an item recovered from a local time capsule, and see parked in the street an Argentine Ford Falcon, a car which has both a fascinating and sinister role in Argentina's tragic history, notwithstanding its connection with Australia via one of its former CEOs. Farewelled by my hospitable hosts Armando and Anuska, I hit the road, the legendary Ruta 40, continuing south. The land becomes flat, almost featureless, except for a few wild horses and car wrecks. Passing an abandoned gas station and rusted car wreck, I try to refuel from my plastic jerry can in high winds, with limited success, before finally having to drop my bike when caught in extremely strong winds at the town of Rio Mayo, said to be Argentina's National Capital of Shearing.

Last edited by madaru moto; 08-10-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

5. #45 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Another great informative episode.
    Thanks for sharing and keeping this thread going
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #46 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Another great informative episode.
    Thanks for sharing and keeping this thread going
    Well glad someone is enjoying them! Because Im not getting as many hits as before... but then again the competition on YouTube for eyeballs has never been stronger. New episodes will be shorter, covering only a day or two, so I can post them sooner. Mind you, I have 8 year's worth of video, and at the current rate of posting I will have to live to the age of 120 if I am ever to finish!

7. #47 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Episode 33, 12 minutes long: Leaving the cosy Hotel Aka-Ta in Rio Mayo, I don't even leave the town limits before getting lost, and bogged, near the colourful local cemetery. On an unsealed section of Ruta 40, I found my bike so unstable in the wind that I dared not go faster than 40 kmph. In the town of Perito Moreno, a pretty policewoman convinces me not to continue on Ruta 40, as she deemed it dangerous to ride alone. Heading east along RP43, I take shelter from the strong winds in a purpose built windbreak - but measure the wind to be still almost 50 miles per hour. A quick visit to the oil town of Las Heras, then onto the Bridasaurio, a full sized metal dinosaur sculpture. Arriving at the small village of Fitz Roy, I find no rooms are available and end up having to pitch my tent in howling winds.

8. #48 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Quote Originally Posted by madaru moto View Post
    Well glad someone is enjoying them! Because Im not getting as many hits as before... but then again the competition on YouTube for eyeballs has never been stronger. New episodes will be shorter, covering only a day or two, so I can post them sooner. Mind you, I have 8 year's worth of video, and at the current rate of posting I will have to live to the age of 120 if I am ever to finish!
    All good... still following along...
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #49 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Quote Originally Posted by madaru moto View Post
    Episode 33, 12 minutes long: Leaving the cosy Hotel Aka-Ta in Rio Mayo, I don't even leave the town limits before getting lost, and bogged, near the colourful local cemetery. On an unsealed section of Ruta 40, I found my bike so unstable in the wind that I dared not go faster than 40 kmph. In the town of Perito Moreno, a pretty policewoman convinces me not to continue on Ruta 40, as she deemed it dangerous to ride alone. Heading east along RP43, I take shelter from the strong winds in a purpose built windbreak - but measure the wind to be still almost 50 miles per hour. A quick visit to the oil town of Las Heras, then onto the Bridasaurio, a full sized metal dinosaur sculpture. Arriving at the small village of Fitz Roy, I find no rooms are available and end up having to pitch my tent in howling winds.
    Pretty female cop, pretty pink church, pretty windy plateaus... 2 outta 3 aint bad
    Attempting to captures the widllife on camera I can relate to that... I recently have attempted to capture of what appeared to be several generations of Roos, on an outback station (NW QLD). They stayed put until I reversed the 4x4 into a better possie to get some photos... and bounded off towards the west stopping some distance away (not so good photos)
    Oh well....
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #50 Re: Short Circuiting South America 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Pretty female cop, pretty pink church, pretty windy plateaus... 2 outta 3 aint bad
    Attempting to captures the widllife on camera I can relate to that... I recently have attempted to capture of what appeared to be several generations of Roos, on an outback station (NW QLD). They stayed put until I reversed the 4x4 into a better possie to get some photos... and bounded off towards the west stopping some distance away (not so good photos)
    Oh well....
    Next episode I captured some video of guanacos

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast