Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Stuck throttle cable 
    C-Moto Senior
    I’m having the following problem with my throttle.
    It was a bit stuck, so I applied a little hard to open the gas, as a result after moving a bit I heard a “click” inside the carburetor and now the throttle is stuck. I think that I must change the throttle cable because after doing some off road, maybe some water and mud should have damaged it. In case I have to open the throttle or the carburetor, can you tell me what I should expect? I mean do you have any pictures of what’s inside both sides, especially where the cable meets the handlebars (like a black disk that I guess it has some kind of spring inside).

Thanks
    Alejandro

TMX,

It depends on what kind of carb you have. Does the throttle grip move at all or is it stuck in one position?

If the grip and cable can not move then I would suggest taking apart the carb. If you have the plunger style carb, unscrew the top an make sure the cable end is seated in the plunger correctly.

If you have a CV type carb, make sure nothing is blocking the throttle cam from moving.

Really need a little more info on your problem. As always, pictures don't hurt either!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    un screw the top of your carb. thats where the throttle cable enters. maybe the spring broke

C-Moto Senior
    ok,I'll see and comment afterwards...thanks for your help

5. #5 Solved the problem 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hello folks, I’ve recently finished repairing my bike (the throttle problem) and this was what I discovered after some disassembly.
    What I thought it was the problem, the throttle itself or the cable was ok. Inside the plastic case near the throttle I found a plastic disk that was there just to guide the cable through the throttle. Then I followed with the carb, and yes.. the problem was there ! Inside my mikuni carb there was a cylinder where the throttle cable was attached, this cylinder weas really stuck with some kind of mud, gums, I don’t know for sure but with thinner(like mineral spirit) I dissolved it and I could free the cylinder that was some kind of guide for a needle that went inside a jet like screw. This make me think that maybe some mud come into the carb, what’s makes me wonder what type of air filter should I use, I have a spongy like ,but I think this is not good enough to filter the mud that eventually comes into the carb when you are crossing a sump.
    What would you recommend?
    Have you ever tried with that additives that you put with gas ? Are they good? What happens to the engine?
    Thanks and have a good day !

Dirty gas can do that. Also, having the bike sit for a long time (like over the winter) can cause that to happen as well. Don't forget rust in the fuel tank tambien.

Normally it is not so bad it will stop the slide/needle assembly from moving but it is possible.

Try an inline fuel filter. They are very very cheap and may save you from this in the future!

Paz,
    CC

7. #7 The story continues 
    C-Moto Senior
    Today I turn the engine and a strange thing happened ! I have backfires,I mean literally fire,and a bright lighting come out from the exaust,I didn't touch anything more than the carburetor(the valves are as always) but I'm thinking that maybe I assembled something wrong....

I noticed that the rubber that conects the carburetor with the air filter is torn,and maybe some air could be getting inside the carb bypassing the filter,what I really don't understand is that if more air comes into the carb the engine runs leaner,therefore I have less gas in the mixture,why is it backfiring?

The rubber connector, sometimes called a "boot" or "insulator", is extremely important to maintaining correct vaccume pressure to the carb/engien system. I'm not sure why it's burning fuel after it leaves the exhaust but a bike that runs lean will pop out both the exhaust pipe and sometimes air box.

The rubber connector needs to be replaced before doing more trouble shooting. It is a relatively simply and cheap procedure assuming you can get the part.

CC

9. #9 Re: Stuck throttle cable 
    C-Moto Noob
    I had the same problem, just throw the old cable away , make sure the new cable has the same attachments at both ends.