Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    C-Moto Noob
    Could be, as you say most places charge more for the bike so I'm still coming out ok.

I have been enjoying it and seeing what it'll do. I got the bike up to 100km/h, though it took quite awhile to get up there -- if you're familiar with Calgary, I floored it on the on-ramp to Deerfoot at Memorial Drive and it was just hitting 100kph as I took the off-ramp at 16 Ave. I think for my size (6'1", 185ish pounds), that's the top speed. As a way of getting to & from work it's great because I'm mostly on roads with a limit of <80kph at which the bike excels, but I'm wondering how to coax a bit more speed out of it. Ken, did you like the new sprocket? You do a fair bit of offroading on these... how do you like the trail handling capability?

For the curious, I also found that a full tank of gas gets you around 185 KM before having to switch over to the reserve. I'm at around 350km on the odometer now; the turn signal repair worked, and the replacement gas tank is holding up too. The light bulb on the tach burnt out so I'll have to look at that soon. It's a fun bike and I'm not expecting miracles but I wish it's reliability was better. :S

2. #12 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Ken,

The tanks was recalled and all dealers were given new ones to replace but whether it was done or not is yet to be said.

Darkmoon,

I lived in Calgary for 11 yrs....perfect bike for that city..
    When did you buy the bike. Should be covered if not,let me know and I will take care of it.

Any questions feel free to ask..

My appologies for not being on lately....working on Quebec and US business.

3. #13 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Saga canada:

Should I get a replacment tank for my 2008 then ? I don't want to be stuck in a pinch if it does decide to leak? Is it possible to id the bike by serial # to tell if it has had a replacement tank put on? My bike was shipped crated and never looked at in prior to me receiving it.

Darkmoon:

My saga does realy well off road.I do offroad/trail riding but nothing over extreme ( no crazy stuff).I 've been up to 1930 meters and the bike purrs.I wil admit that it is not a major power house but it does torque up anything I want to go up.I find the power balance it nice and I don't tear up to countryside when off road.

I almost bit it last weekend up high in the alpine when a grizzly bear poked it's head out of the berry bushes and scared the crap out of me but the front ABS saved me from punting over the handlebars and I recovered asap and pull out of it.

I think the Saga is a great platform machine for the price,I do think we need to get better shifters and power mods for it like a upgrade cdi,carb,air cleaner ect.I know the stuff is out there but it would be awsome if saga could sell us the upgrades ( make it easyer LOL )

4. #14 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    I still have not gotten to change the sprocket.my stock one gets me to 70-80 km and I'm at 6000 rpm.lots of torque

I will update info as soon as I get it done.

5. #15 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Ken,

Your tank was probably switched by the dealer. The issue that Darkmoon had is that Toys4Boys took over the stock from a previous dealer. Tanks were there just not put on..He should be good to go!

Ken,

Give me a complete list of what mods you would like and we will see what we can do!

Saga Canada

6. #16 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Well then....LOL

1. a better shifter lever .Mine feels like it's going to fall off becuase the clamp end needs more spline area to fit on tighter.works ok but just seems a bit to wobbly.

2.Bark busters ( or copy of idea)

3.mod so we can grease the swing arm

4. More engine power mods ( I have been working also on this and will update as I get more info) As best as I can tell the engine is a CG250 zonshen but please tell me if I am wrong.I found that info in the manufatures site.

5.Better speedo assembley.I am going to make a mount for my gps for next year also.

7. #17 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    C-Moto Noob
    So I just installed a 46 tooth rear sprocket on my 250 and it makes quite a difference for in city driving as well as noticable increasse in the top end.

8. #18 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Good to hear..It's next to be done on my bike.

Just finished upgradeing the CDI and the Coil.Big differance in idle and acceleration quality.
    Cold starting is a snap now.

What are you guys seeing for chain strech,I'm adjusted out already so I need to drop some links out of my stock chain.
    Last edited by kens; 10-19-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: add info

9. #19 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Good to hear..It's next to be done on my bike.

Just finished upgradeing the CDI and the Coil.Big differance in idle and acceleration quality.
    Cold starting is a snap now.

What are you guys seeing for chain strech,I'm adjusted out already so I need to drop some links out of my stock chain.

Mine is streched out as well, had to remove a couple of links to acomodate the new sprocket. Where did you pick up the new CDI and Coil? Could for sure use some help with cold starting in this town.

10. #20 Re: SAGA 250 mod thread 
    Here are pictures of the upgrade coil,spark plug ( NGK ) and CDI modual.

I mounted the coil in the same place as the stock unit.I drilled out the mounting hole and attached it with a cap screw and 2 nylock nuts.The Red/Black wire is the CDI power wire and is attached to the coil spade.The ground wire was attached to the coil body.
    Placement of the cdi modual was a bit tricky.I put it between the air box and fender.It was a very tight fit, so tight I had to use 2 pry bars to get it in.I will have to see if it stays put in use,but if not I will have to build a bracket at the time.

The increase in voltage is huge.I did compairable no load tests with a spark checker and the results were totaly awsome.
    Small weak spark to lightning spark!!!!

The differance was instantly noticeable, Easy starting and very good idle quality

It was a well worth while and well needed upgrade.
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast