Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Yamaha YBR250 didn't make sense to buy in 2009 
    Whilst this bike is almost certainly the best road-going legal 250cc bike in China..........

I'm not talking about the running costs for this bike, I'm talking about the depreciation on the new value. The reason being is that, for anyone selling this bike you'd be lucky (according to the opinions of most Chinese riders) to get more than 12,000 RMB for the bike after one year, meaning a massive 13,550 RMB ($2000 USD!) depreciation over the first year from the new price of 25,500 RMB ($3,700 USD).

Then 8,000 RMB 2nd hand value at the most after two years.

The reasons for this depreciation has a lot to do with older unregistered CB400 type bikes in the marketplace, and other cheaper alternatives for potential buyers, and the fact that the bike is just plain silly overpriced to begin with, 15,500 RMB ($2,300 USD) would be a fair price for the bike IMO, and the overpricing of this bike has warped the prices of other bikes in the Chinese motorcycle market.

So on a personal level the YBR250 doesn't make sense unless I want to keep it for the vast majority of its service life (5 years +), however this is something I don't want to commit to, with an eye on potential 400-600cc road legal Chinese or joint venture bikes possibly being available. So the Regal Raptor DD250-2 it is then .
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #2 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    I agree that the bike has a high price tag, but I have also heard some people paying just a tad over 20k out the door with rego and insurance included. Any new vehicle will take a 20% hit five seconds after it's purchased, that's just one of the sad things about buying new.

I met up with a Regal Raptor DD250-2 on the road in Hunan and it looked alright, but it's not even worth comparing with the Yamaha. If you spent 20k on the YBR, took care of it, and sold it in two years for 10k, it's not such a bad deal. Tokyokid just got one, and he seems to be pretty impressed with the quality.

The fact that 15 year old, 400cc Japanese bikes are still holding some value shows how far the Chinese manufacturers have to go. They can make them cheap, but they're just not made to last.

In 2008 we saw a huge influx of new 250cc bikes that got us all worked up about having some choices. Here we sit more than a year later and almost none of them have been made legal for China purchase. I wouldn't get your hopes up on the over 250cc models, I think it will be well into 2010 or 2011 before any of the larger bikes can actually be registered in China (JH600 excluded).

Good luck with the new bike, glad you will be on the road again.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    V

I asked in dealers all over the place, and I was consistently told 24,500 last year and 25,500 this year. I would have seriously considered the bike for a tad over 20,000 actually, but in my area, seems I'm not well enough connected

Anyway too late now...
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    C-Moto Senior
    Remember what you are paying for in the YBR250. Yamaha refuses to produce teh YBR250 in China, probably a wise move, as the Chinese govt. seems to still be unwilling to enforce intellectual property rights. If they produced it in China, it would be quickly copied. So, you are paying the 100% import tariff. The price would be closer to 13 - 14,000 if it was made in China.

That is also why the resale is so low. The inherent value of the bike is much lower than the retail value.

5. #5 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    iamcanjim, I was under the impression that the YBR 250 was made in China, by Jianshe Yamaha, which is why I thought the price was too high. If it was made elsewhere, and imported particularly from Japan, I would have bought one as 25,500 RMB is a bargain for a Japanese imported bike, with all the sky-high Chinese import taxes.

V, I forgot to mention that there are plenty of 400-500cc engines being manufactured mostly for quad bikes, but with a few tweaks can make a delightful mid-sized single road bike or high-power dirt bike. Asiawing can't get their act together, I know. But surely some Chinese manufacturer would be capable of putting a decent 400-500cc single together for export and the home market. They are really missing a trick as loads would sell just in the commuter and learner market in the west.

Whether the communist authorities could tolerate a 450cc single overtaking their black Santana and allow CCC certification here in China is another matter, but it is a hope or maybe a dream I have that maybe, just one day in the near(ish) future I could be riding a reasonably priced, road legal, street motorcycle with around 30KW of power.

6. #6 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    C-Moto Senior
    I am fairly sure that the YBR 250 is not made in China or Japan. I know there is a factory in India and there are probably others in other Asian countries. This means you won't get better than Chinese quality for the price.

7. #7 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    If it wasn't made in China, wouldn't you likely hear people jumping up and down extolling it's legal imported-ness?

Also, wouldn't the price be much higher than 25k rmb?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #8 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    Iamcanjim,

Sorry mate but really are probably not right.

Take a look here: http://www.jym.com.cn/Simplified/Pro...&SortPath=0,5,

You can see that the YBR 250 takes prominent position on Jianshe's website. They even make a 劲龙ⅡJYM250, which has a different 220cc engine, they are next to each other on the site, even with Chinese style photoshopped publicity shots and graphics!

The YBR250 is certainly made in lots of different factories all over the world, probably China, India, Brazil, Japan and Portugal to name a few. My old bike the CBF150 was made in China and India, and the Honda CBR125 must be made in loads of countries.

Other discussions aside, I hope that Sundiro Honda begin manufacture of the CBF250 in China at some time, and if they gain CCC approval can sell the bike for a fair price in China, of course there would be an export market. (15,000 RMB)

Also why not produce the VTR250? Not likely!

9. #9 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Let's hope Honda's VTR250 lasts a bit longer in the market than their gorgeous VT250 produced for about a year at the end of the 80's.

Both V twins, the VT produced nearly 40 hp, yet despite its looks it failed to sell.

Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

10. #10 Re: Yamaha YBR250 doesn't make sense to buy 
    That is a pretty bike... and shit... 40hp!!!

I'd still like a Chinese manufacturer to produce a model that beats the old Kawasaki Ninja 250... which to me still rule the 250 roost.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast