Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Now that I have a neighbor to go play dirt bikes with, the XTR is back in full off-road form. I added this new engine protector from Galaxy, and purchased another Wonderful equipment case for carrying my camera, tools and other supplies.

I should be posting pictures from the ChongQing show, but the weather is just too nice, so I'm out riding

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #102 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Since I already have this thread on the Galaxy XTR, I figured I'd keep it going with my ramblings on the Galaxy TGR. The two bikes share a lot of common components, so it's probably easier to have everything in one thread. Back in October, my neighbor purchased a TGR and we started doing a lot of enduro riding.

When Richardktm came along looking for a bike, I decided to give the TGR a try. I sold him the XTR, with a boat load of wheels and other parts that were collecting dust, and figured my beloved moto would be in good hands.

A couple side by side shots of the two bikes.

They look quite similar, but there are some differences.

I can't really find much info on where the TGR came from. Usually we see a direct link to a Pitster Pro or Puzzey model, but I don't think either of these companies carry the TGR. The body work is the same as the Yamaha WR250F, but the similarities end there. One other thing I found while searching Taobao, this bike is also sold in China as the YZR250, although it doesn't have many of the CNC parts that Galaxy has chosen. Anywho... let's take a peek at the TGR and see what she's got.

There's plenty of CNC aluminum throughout the bike, and just as with the XTR, Galaxy picked some very nice components. Sweet looking hubs on both front and rear.

Triple clamps are CNC'ed instead of the usual cast parts found on most bikes.

Controls are the same as the XTR, but they added a "hazard' switch to the left side that the older XTR's don't have.

Same dashboard as the XTR, this unit is very easy to reprogram for MPH vs km/h and can also be adjusted for different wheel sizes. If you have a GPS and 10 minutes, you can usually get it accurate to within 1-2 km/h

The Loncin 233cc air cooled motor pulls like a freight train down low. There's a liquid cooled version available as well, but the added weight, expense, and liability of a liquid cooling system was not appealing to me. The liquid cooled version is not CCC approved and can't be registered in China at this time.

None the less, you still get the radiator shrouds. Here's a good view of the frame, which is much taller in the head area than the XTR.

And the last major thing of note is the rear suspension linkage. The XTR shock bolts directly to the swingarm and frame, while the TGR uses a linkage system. I never really noticed much wrong with the XTR setup, but I think the TGR does a little better job at keeping the rear wheel on the ground in rough terrain.

Saying one bike is better than the other is difficult, they both have some strengths and weaknesses.

TGR = ¥12,800 vs XTR = ¥11,800 For some reason, the TGR was about ¥800 more for the registration.
    TGR has a tiny 6 liter tank vs XTR has 8.5 and 13.5 liter tanks available.
    TGR has no rear subframe for any kind of rack or luggage system. XTR is available in the adventure version for ¥13,800 with luggage and rack mounts.
    TGR is bigger and taller than the XTR. Good for some people, bad for others.
    TGR seat is pretty bad. XTR seat is less bad, and has a wider version available.
    TGR suspension feels much more planted in rough, rutty conditions.
    Both bikes have terrible kickstands.

To sum it up in one sentence... The TGR is a better enduro machine, while the XTR is a more versatile dual-sport.

If you're looking for a China touring bike, the XTR has a lot of advantages in luggage and fuel range options. If you're interested in a pure dirt bike, the larger size and suspension of the TGR make it a better choice.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Last edited by ChinaV; 04-20-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: crappy kickstand

3. #103 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Informative stuff ChinaV and nice pics, i'm sure this will be a great resource for anyone wondering about the Galaxy bikes. Thanks for writing this.

I just noticed something of little interest: YinHe (the larger group which owns Galaxy) means silver river, which is chinese for the Milky-way. I guess that's where they got the name Galaxy.

4. #104 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    GREAT looking bikes, would look loverly with a set of supermoto wheels on them!!!

5. #105 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    TGR appears to be more pure blood enduro. As such it looks really great.

6. #106 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    C-Moto Regular
    This is amazing. I am so impressed. That XTR project looked like a lot of fun...

7. #107 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    is the engine a decent copy of honda crf 230 L?

8. #108 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima Naderi View Post
    is the engine a decent copy of honda crf 230 L?
    Closer to the "MD33E" http://blog.inmycab.com/facebook/XR_...html#ui-tabs-3 which is the ancestor of CRF230L
    -
    Rumor said Iranian miltary bought some bike that powered by a better "clone" -- Jialing 223
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_388438.htm

9. #109 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    thanks

对国产车稍有点了解的人现在都有权发话了,不是正林越野的架子挂上嘉陵223机器吗?对~没错,说明你有一 定常识~没看走眼
    正林越野是目前国内一款不管从名气还是从性能上都非常不错的一款专业场地车,无论从外观、车体设计等软件部 分,还是车架、减震器、轮圈等,都得到了绝大部分专业人士的肯定,是场地入门级及中级发烧友的 首选坐鞍
    架子倒是好用了,但作为一台车的“心脏”部分,该车原装的宗申发动机却让人不敢恭维,虽然是250的排量, 可惜是个扩缸机,对发热量巨大无比的场地用途来说,扩缸机就意味着过热后力量骤降(连续工作1.5小时后功 率下降25%-35%,伊朗军方实测数据),但这都是小意思,加工精度和材质无法应付高强度的赛车运动才是最重要的~~这 一万多的车配台一千多块儿的发动机,还不到同样一万多的鑫源X2发动机价格的一半,本身就是个 笑话
    当然这回不一样了,厉害的终于来了,这正林一直在给伊朗军方供车,但伊军方严重不满这原配发动机,所以…… 这中间七弯八折的故事就不多说,话长且很难理得清,只告诉个结果,伊军方的订单,大部分落到了嘉陵下面的一 个子公司手上,当然这心脏肯定是要换的,换什么?除了嘉陵223,你觉得还有其它更合适的?
    这台车的照片,只是个原始的匹配图,悬挂的是嘉陵223六档机,目前正在进行化油器、进排气的匹配,等大功 告成后,车子还会有一部分包括颜色、外观和另外一些细节的变化,但那时这车就不叫正林了,而是嘉陵。出于场 地的考虑,机器也不会是现在的六档机,而是五档机,一样的高能点火,甚至会换上进口FCC离合 器……
    这样的车,一定是值得期待的,当然,这是小众车,喜欢它的,注定只会是少数玩家级人物

it says that iranian military raise the displacement of engine and they have some heat problems ... is that what text is trying to say ?

i think it is confidential and i would never know what are they doing !!!

but it is clear that they have huge problems in finding a good company to buy motorcycles.

since honda refuse to sell the xr 230 or xr 250 to this kind of organizations (military) because they use the bike in military actions against human rights .....:)

and any news from that blue/white liquid cooled galaxy ?

Last edited by Nima Naderi; 11-18-2011 at 07:57 AM.

10. #110 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima Naderi View Post
    thanks

and any news from that blue/white liquid cooled galaxy ?

Hello Nima,

I don't know what they're doing over at Galaxy these days. I'm sure they are willing to make this bike for you if you place a large order, but I think most of their customers have only asked them for the air cooled model.

I think you would really like the air cooled TGR, it's a much better enduro bike than the QingQi QM200 or QM250 and I think the air cooled engine a better all around choice for enduro use. It would also be easier to find parts, as it's a direct copy of the Honda FTR233.

Wish I could go riding with you in Iran...I here the people are great and I can see from your pics that there are some nice trails.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast