Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. #81 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    The "ape hanger" handlebars are not the best looking, but the position is perfect for long rides and standing up. Unfortunately the design of the XTR triple clamp does not allow for an easy purchase of bar risers. The ones on Franki's bike are custom made and not available, so I had to go with the extra tall bars.
    Hi China V

Here are the bar risers fitted to my bike.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...9042010234.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...9042010235.jpg

Hope this helps. If you want a set, then give me a shout

Cheers

Andy

2. #82 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi ChinaV please give me a call (see PM) when in Kunming, would like to peek at your Adventure Galaxy. I just picked up my Shineray X2 and have some plans for refinement myself.

Greetings from Kunming

3. #83 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    A lot has happened since my last update of this thread, my original plans of detailing every little thing about upgrading the XTR for our China tour went out the window when a vast number of unexpected details began eating up time. I will try to recap a few of the details and then start another thread about our tour.

First things was sorting out a few minor problems with Felix's XTR... well more than a few, as he had quite a bit of mileage on the bike already and he wanted to be sure nothing would fail along the way...

So I started up front with some new head bearings.

Upgraded the old swingarm with the newer 2009 version.

And a few other bits in between.

In the mean time, I finished up my mounting system for the bags and rack. Let's go back and re-cap what I did to make this work. Here is the original rear subframe of the bike.

Removed the rear section.

Added my new support bracket.

New License plate and rear light brackets

Supports go to the passenger pegs to relieve weight on the top of the rear sub-frame.

Added side plates to keep the soft luggage from making contact with the wheel or exhaust pipe. My bike doesn't have the side plates as I'm using the hard cases.

Felix's bike ready for loading.

And fully loaded.

After weeks of preparation, I've had the opportunity to examine and assemble almost every part on the XTR and this leaves me with some mixed feelings about Galaxy in general. On the positive side, they offer some of the best technology and parts you can find from the China motorcycle industry. On the negative side, I find substantial differences between the 3 bikes I prepped which shows their assembly processes and quality control are very poor. Hopefully they will improve their assembly line to address these issues as they can easily be fixed with clearly documented processes at each work station.

We are finally ready to head out, I will start a ride report later this week as time allows.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #84 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    C-Moto Guru
    welcome back!

5. #85 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Great fab work V! I noticed the air clear in some of the pics. Do you have to remove all of the screws to change it out?

PS-Is it just me or does Felix look like Charlie from 'Lost'?

6. #86 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Double welcomes back!

Primo job on that rack V. Mounting it to the foot peg was definitely the "Right thing to do" (tm).

Is that Dan in the Tron suite?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #87 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Come on you guys, no Internet out in the back blocks? These days we expect a trip blog with GPS and photos!
    How do those 'Fox' armour suits wear? Mine looks exactly the same as Felix's but doesn't fit well, too tight in the arms and whoever designed it was an alien with elbows in a different place ....

8. #88 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Come on you guys, no Internet out in the back blocks? These days we expect a trip blog with GPS and photos!
    How do those 'Fox' armour suits wear? Mine looks exactly the same as Felix's but doesn't fit well, too tight in the arms and whoever designed it was an alien with elbows in a different place ....
    Sorry Jape, just not into the internet thang while traveling. We were all wearing the same Fox suits, Daniel went with the sexy red because it's faster. Mine fits OK, for 80 RMB, you really can't ask for much. Gives decent protection in the hot weather and prefer to use it over the stock armor that comes inside my jacket.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #89 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    I think you should tell Daniel that the idea red being faster went out with 'go faster' stripes in the '80s. Since the rise of super-string theory and other esoteric fiddling with reality, BLUE LED is the new 'go faster' colour. I bet he was last in the travelling trio most of the day?

10. #90 Re: ChinaV's Galaxy 250! 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Great fab work V! I noticed the air clear in some of the pics. Do you have to remove all of the screws to change it out?

PS-Is it just me or does Felix look like Charlie from 'Lost'?
    You do need to remove all of the screws, but Galaxy doesn't actually sell the filter...you have to buy the entire airbox .

I think Felix is a bit closer to "The Night Rider" from the 1979 version of MadMax

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast