Ironically, up through the 90's, it was quite easy to convert dirt bikes to street bikes, with California's blessing, as bikes took up less road space and can share lanes with each other or cars, so made them more reasonable for commuting rather than idling in endless traffic on the freeways.

Through the mid-'00's, there were street plated Shineray 200 and Jetmoto enduros, in California, probably issued by an inept motor vehicle system. Of course, they are omnipotent, like this dealer stated, so even winning in court means you still lost $! No wonder companies have left California in droves, leaving mostly corporate entities with deep pockets to pay for the government ineptness, while small businesses have set up shop in other states. I am sure this guy sold enough Huskies to cover his ass(ets), but there are others who never could survive such a system.

Come to think of it, California even puts a hold on 49 state EPA/DOT Chinese bikes. California might allow certain Chinese bikes with EPA/DOT to get the off-road green sticker, but takes its role as supreme ayotollah of the air to protect Californians from themselves on the street, too. One manufacturer has a dealer in California who puts the bikes on the road, but now, I have a feeling all those owners will be left streetless in the near future in spite of the bikes having the full blessing of the federal government (I left out the brand name and the dealer to protect them and their customers from jack-booted Kalivornia cops knocking down their door )