Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    Hello, my name is Randall. I live in the small town of Meeker, OK. I own a 2008 Hensim HS250CR. I will post a pic when I have the opportunity. I am very satisfied with my purchase. I have put just over 1000 miles on it and only had an oil leak when I put too nuch oil in it.

2. #2 Re: Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    NorskeMann,

Welcome to MCM! I don't think we have too much info on here covering the Hensim 250.

This your poison here?

Looks like a Honda derived engine similar to the Johnny Pags but with a Suzuki GZ250 style frame and wheel setup... Not a bad combo!

How'd you hear about it and, if you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost? Was it purchased at a physical location or online? Done any mods to it?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    That's my baby, except mine is black. I changed the mirrors to taller roud ones, and added saddle bags, but over all that's her. I love my bike. It's not too great on fuel mileage, only 45 miles per gallon, but it's a lot better than my truck which gets 17 miles per gallon. I want to find a way to stiffen the suspension, the back is easy, just takes a strap wrench, but the front I can't figure out. She does have a problem with blowing crank seals though. That's not a big issue, they're simple to replace and I get them at wholesale, so it's not a big issue. Soon I will be replacing the Chinese motor with a Honda Rebel motor unless I find a 500cc parallel twin that will fit in the frame.

4. #4 Re: Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    Regarding stiffening up the suspension, you've got a couple options up front which involve placing some (a couple) large washers under the fork caps to add some pre-load to the springs and/or replacing the fork fluid with a heavier weight oil - which may or may not be a good idea depending on your girth, riding style and road conditions.

Rear shocks can, as you already know, can add more preload with the spring tension adjustment collar but aside from that there's nothing else that's easy to do. However, since the shocks on these things are pretty universal, you may be able to fit new GZ250 or Rebel250 shocks back there which may be a but longer and give you more travel. I put some longer front and rear shocks on a Rebel 150 clone I had in China and it was probably the best mod made the bike.

Hmmm... off the top of my head I don't think you'll be able to find a 500cc that will go in the frame. Even if one would fit, the extra weight may be a problem for the suspension, braking and frame itself. Swapping out with a Honda engine may be the best bet but it seems a shame to not use what's already in there.

45mpg is not so hot for a 250 and makes me wonder if the bike is running waaay lean. Have you tried messing with the carbs?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 Re: Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    Here's an idea of what my bike goes through. I am a big guy, 5'11" and 350 pounds. My trip to work is 30 miles of big hills and 6 miles of dirt road. The throttle stays wide open most of the trip due to a bunch of terrible drivers that like to ride REALLY close to motorcycles. I get better mileage when I'm just on a leisurely ride on the 2 lane roads. I haven't messed with the carbs yet, I'm not familiar with the inner workings and I don't want to have to pay someone to figure out what I did wrong. I think I may keep the motor that on there. After researching the Honda motors, they seem to have the exact same problems that mine has.

HARLEY DAVIDSON

To answer the questions asked. I bought her at a place called Vbike in Edmond, Oklahoma. It cost $1500 USD. Only modifications I did is drill the exhaust back plates and through the rear of the baffles and changed the stock turn signals to a smoked lense signal bought from Dennis Kirk.

6. #6 Re: Hello from Meeker, Oklahoma USA 
    Welcome, Norske! The Hensim seems to be a decent bike, especially at the prices they sell them for. Since you got yours from VBike, I assume it was either their photo/test bike, or it was a customer's who messed something up, took it back, and it turned out to be something easy to fix. At least you got your bike prepped and ready for the road, either way

Vbike just started selling Hensim's new 250cc enduro. Vbike used to sell Hi-Bird's 250 enduro with good results both from the quality of the Hi-Bird and Vbike's customer service, but once the Olympics hit, and China stopped manufacturing that summer, it seemed like the Hi-Birds stopped coming to the US. Their 250 was pretty much the first 250 Chinese enduro bike offered in the US, as most of the typical Chinese enduros were 200's, so it was nice to read how well they did, considering the Chinese origins

Anyway, back on to VBike and Hensim , they still offer your model and the enduro. The enduro is intriguing at $1300 shipped....although I would really prefer to have one of the new higher end Chinese bikes such as the Pitster Pro or Qlink. We'll see how long I can save the $ for the expensive bikes, though...