Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hello ,this time I'm writing to know a bit about the functioning of a monoshock.
    I broke the one that comes with my bike and I can{t be sure I{m undertanding how does it work.

It has a spring which is adjustable i guess more quicker or slowest response,it has a gas chamber which i can adjust turning a knob and it has another screw in the bottom which I{m not sure why is it there.

I noticed that inside the chromed tube that goes into the shock absorber there was a pencil like aluminium tube, I think this is kind of a flot that has something in common t}with the oil inside the shock? Am I right?

Please give me all the info you can so i can Be sure I'm understanding how does it works...

its similar to the one in the picture...

Thanks
    Alejandro.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    TXM,

Although slightly different, almost all shock absorbers are the same. Here's an illustration of how a car suspension works from "Howstuffworks.com". Full link follows.

A shock absorber is basically an oil pump placed between the frame of the car and the wheels. The upper mount of the shock connects to the frame (i.e., the sprung weight), while the lower mount connects to the axle, near the wheel (i.e., the unsprung weight). In a twin-tube design, one of the most common types of shock absorbers, the upper mount is connected to a piston rod, which in turn is connected to a piston, which in turn sits in a tube filled with hydraulic fluid. The inner tube is known as the pressure tube, and the outer tube is known as the reserve tube. The reserve tube stores excess hydraulic fluid.

When the car wheel encounters a bump in the road and causes the spring to coil and uncoil, the energy of the spring is transferred to the shock absorber through the upper mount, down through the piston rod and into the piston. Orifices perforate the piston and allow fluid to leak through as the piston moves up and down in the pressure tube. Because the orifices are relatively tiny, only a small amount of fluid, under great pressure, passes through. This slows down the piston, which in turn slows down the spring.

Shock absorbers work in two cycles -- the compression cycle and the extension cycle. The compression cycle occurs as the piston moves downward, compressing the hydraulic fluid in the chamber below the piston. The extension cycle occurs as the piston moves toward the top of the pressure tube, compressing the fluid in the chamber above the piston. A typical car or light truck will have more resistance during its extension cycle than its compression cycle. With that in mind, the compression cycle controls the motion of the vehicle's unsprung weight, while extension controls the heavier, sprung weight.

All modern shock absorbers are velocity-sensitive -- the faster the suspension moves, the more resistance the shock absorber provides. This enables shocks to adjust to road conditions and to control all of the unwanted motions that can occur in a moving vehicle, including bounce, sway, brake dive and acceleration squat.

For the complete article please click HERE.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Intake manifold required !!! 
    C-Moto Senior
    I broke my intake manifold and I canīt find the replacement part,it has stamped " ZSFA4B" ,I donīt know if this a part number or what?

Please tell me if you know any place where i could find this replacement ,preferably on the us but it can be anywhere in the worl cuz I canīt use my bike since the last weekend.

Itīs 28mm diameter hole ,6mm screws and 43 mm between holes,on the other side it has one O-Ring and the separation of the screws is wider it also has a paper gasket.

If you donīt know where could I find this part and you have any solution please give me any thoughts .

Thanks very much
    Attached Images

4. #4 Intake manifold required !!! continued... 
    C-Moto Senior
    more pictures
    Attached Images

5. #5 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    That crack looks pretty bad! Not sure about the place to buy the new part but I suggest 2 things...

1) Take the part to a motorcycle store and see if they can fix it with an epoxy weld or something. If they do it right, it could be stronger than the original.

2) Take the part to a motorcycle store and see if thgey have a similar part. They may have actually have the same part. I think you will want a new rubber coated part if it's available.

CC

6. #6 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    C-Moto Senior
    Iīm a bit afraid of welding it because I believe that if the inside of the tube is not perfectly smooth the air intake coming from the carb can change and thus leading to poor gas mixture flow....? not sure...

you mean epoxi like when you mix the contents of two tubes for example to repair plumbing ?

7. #7 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    Yes, that is epoxy! A new part is naturally best but epoxy is worth trying while you find a new part.

Did you over tighten the screw and break the part?

CC

8. #8 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    C-Moto Senior
    after braking the monosok,the whole bike crunched my carb and as a result the intake manifold broke.

I think I'll try to weld it and see what happens.

do you know where could I buy suspension parts in order to repair my broken suspension?

9. #9 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    Do you have pictures of your suspension damage? It sounds like there may also be frame damage?

CC

10. #10 Re: Rear shock absorber - Monoshock Explanation 
    Will there be a lot of stress on it once the shock is fixed? If not, try JB Weld or a suitable alternative. You can smooth it out on the inside very well and it will be strong enough. Heating it up after it is applied helps it flow into the cracks better also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast