Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Returning Beijing Rider 
    C-Moto Noob
    I would just like to say I'm so happy to have found this forum.
    I am returning to Beijing after 5 years away, coming back to study at Uni. I am really curious to hear what the current situation is with foreign 250cc+ bikes around Beijing. last time I was riding I was much younger and prepared to take certain risks that this time I am not so willing to take in regards to legality......
    I would love to bring my leathers and hit the track but knowing the road conditions I will most likely do the Enduro route.
    so the question is if I want to buy and garage a bike while I'm there where should I live. I don't want to live so far out of town but am realistic about taking a bike into town. Anyone recomend motorcycle friendly housing without doing the shunyi thing?
    How much do i need for a legal bike on Jing - B that is at least 250cc?
    If i were to buy a cheap Jap bike with no plates or Hebei how far into town can i go?

I CAN'T WAIT TO COME BACK

Here are some photos of past bikes the RVF is in Sydney

2. #2 Re: Returning Beijing Rider 
    D,

You ask some VERY good and complicated questions. I believe the answers will change periodically so hopefully one of our Beijing contingency will ring in soon. There's a strong grroup o riders in Beijing that meet to eat regularly so I'm sure you'll find all teh answers you need in one manner or another. Chinabiker is likely the guy to talk to right off the bat so lets hope to hear from him soon.

When are you planning on moving back to Beijing?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Returning Beijing Rider 
    dreison

Legal foreign bikes are $$$ but there are alternatives. The Jialing JH600 is one of them and should go for about 40k RMB including rego (京-B). One or two foreigners got theirs already. A buddy of mine owns a Zhonhshen 200 (12k with rego) and another guy is on a Lifan 150 ( (all 京-B plated). As far as the other bikes go (Asiawing, Qingqi, Galaxy, ...), I am not sure if they are available here and if so if they can be registered.
    There are still way more than 80% illegal bikes on the road here, so it is up to you to worry or not. I personally wouldn't really recommend one of these and neither would I go deeper than the 4th ring on such a bike..
    There is the die-hard side-car community here as well, so if you are up to the three wheelers you will be served well

Road conditions in the countryside around Beijing are very good, so there is enough room to ride sports-bikes

京-B as well as all non 京 plates will bring you to, but not inside the 4th ring road, while 京-A's will take you everywhere unless specifically forbidden (2nd ring, e.g.).

Difficult to give any recommendations for living. Since you go to university I reckon there is a tight budget to be followed
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Returning Beijing Rider 
    C-Moto Noob
    Wow thanx for the quick responses, I'll be getting in early next year. I was up all last night going through this site at it appears that if i'm not on a work visa i won't be able to get a Chinese drivers liscence meaning there is no point paying a permium for JingA or B plates.

This leads to the question do the JingCha stop foreigners now say outside 4th ring?
    Can i get a chinese licence on a student visa?
    My dad is a resident in Shanghai could this assit in anyway?

I had sportbikes last time i was in Beijing and still have one now. However the unpredecitablity of road conditions relegate sportbike senation seeking on chinese roads as to dangerous.

I can ride fast and Stupid in Australia I would prefer to get a nice enduro and potter around the countryside, hopefully eventualy tackling some of the long ambitious rides i've seen posted here.

My mate had a ChiangJiang when i was there last so have spent a bit of time on them both with and without sidecar.
    I think the suggestion of the Zhongshen with rego would be the go. Jialing used to do a nice looking 250 that i think was around 18K w/o rego maybe i can find one of them?

5. #5 Re: Returning Beijing Rider 
    I think you should be able to get a Zhong Guo license on a student visa (or other PR visa) as long as the visa is valid for at least one year. Last time I checked, they will not issue permenant driving licenses to tourista visas.

Not sure if having your father in Shanghai will help or not... probably not. Every part of China is like it's own little world in this regards. It also depends on who you happen to meet the day you apply for the card. Just like everything else... it's a dice roll!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com