Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    Question mostly for Andy,

So in Hubei big bikes are legal, I've even been told (but take it with a pinch of salt) that big bikes from anywhere can be registered there for 5000 RMB.

Say I wanted to buy a CB400 or Fazer 600 or something similar with Hubei plates, what are the legal problems using it in Shandong, other than needing to take it back to Hubei every year or two for new insurance?
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #2 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Question mostly for Andy

As far as I understood the regulations so far, all legally imported or locally manufactured bikes with CCC, environmental approval and type test certificate are legal in every province. The real challenge is to find a city to register a bike. As we know some cities / regions totally banned bikes.

To my knowledge, there is no rule stating a bike from province x can't go to province y and vv. Some places (Shanghai, Beijing, ??) may ban bikes from other provinces to enter certain city areas.

Technically you can only register a bike (or car) under your name, in the city you are resident.

You only need to bring the vehicle back for the technical inspection, not to buy insurance.
    However, I think it is possible to do the technical inspection in another province
    Andy

3. #3 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    Must be a loophole somewhere , as a few folks down here in Guangdong have the Hubei registrations. Don't think you would have many problems, but it's not technically legal. I think you only have a limited period of time before you are supposed to change the reg to your hometown.

Been trying to do this with one of my bikes, let you know how it works out if I ever actually get the reg and insurance. Price is correct at 5K

Cheers
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    Andy, I agree, I'm sure there is no real law against riding a bike from another province in a different province. Although when I did the Chinese theory test I thought I could remember some rule that insurance could only be bought in your home city, and the ID card or passport of the owner should be presented for new insurance to be issued, although in practice the girls in the office will just ask for the number. I wouldn't be concerned whose name the bike is in, if a bike were in the name of some Chinese guy in Hubei, don't care, I just want the plates and insurance.

V, might not be technically legal, and I should change the plates to my home city, but I am a foreigner so really I don't have a Hukou and I'm legally allowed to reside anywhere in China I like. So I could just tell the cops that I used to work in Hubei, but cannot change the plates as the bike is too big. There may be a way of transferring the plates to local ones for a price....but registering a 2nd hand big bike from scratch is probably impossible in Shandong.

I also think I'd have to be particularly careful buying a bike as many have been crashed and only rebuilt cosmetically. Also other bikes are from Hong Kong, probably without VIN plates. I reckon even Hubei wouldn't register those!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #5 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    The real challenge is to find a city to register a bike.
    Your right, here in Changsha it took 2 years for someone to register a legal Harley. They had all the documents CCC and so on, but the police office couldnt get the bike into the registration system.
    Riding the horse to death

http://tuo-ma-si.blogspot.com

6. #6 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    The plan would be to go to Hubei, and find a suitable legally registered and insured bike and bring it home, not to register it myself.

7. #7 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The plan would be to go to Hubei, and find a suitable legally registered and insured bike and bring it home, not to register it myself.
    That should be ok and shouldn't cause trouble.

We have the issue in BJ with the A and B plates. Laoweis can only get A plates, which are $$$$, so they register bikes under a local guy's name to get a B plate. Then they write an agreement, stating that the owner allows you to use the bike. Insurance can be bought under the name of the foreigner.
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Hubei holiday for a real bike? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    That should be ok and shouldn't cause trouble.

We have the issue in BJ with the A and B plates. Laoweis can only get A plates, which are $$$$, so they register bikes under a local guy's name to get a B plate. Then they write an agreement, stating that the owner allows you to use the bike. Insurance can be bought under the name of the foreigner.

hmmm.............. interesting