Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Why should I register it in my wife's name?

There are other Spyder 300's here. I've talked to a guy that has one of them. His comments are what are carrying the biggest weight in directing me to this particular model.

2. #12 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    It may be easier for your wife to register depending on your visa and the name on your drivers license when you get it. The name on my Chinese license is my Chinese name "Wang Fei Shi" and there were problems when I went to register a bike and my passport only had my English name. They want ALL the names and such to match which can be a pain in the ass if you don't plan the names on your various documentation carefully. Don't forget they'll want to see your PSB registration as well. You may also have future problems if your passport expires during the time you are there (since the number will change and that also needs to match).

Registration in China also includes the cost of insurance...this of course means more documentation. They are done at the same vehicle registration/inspection station in XiPu, waaay NW of the city... I'm sure you've seen it already. Things may have changed in the past year since I've left the Du so this is just my best guess.

Who do you know who has a Spyder 300? I may know them.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #13 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Do I need a Chinese name to get a D/L? If not, everything will match and the bike will go in my name. Haven't explored much of the NW side of the city yet.

The guys name is Gunar. I've only spoken to him on the phone. He has had his Spyder about 1 1/2 years. Seems like a nice guy. He answered all my questions. The dealership gave me his phone number without asking if it was OK first...but it turned out OK. He is real happy with his.

4. #14 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    As Carl explained, the bike could go in your name, but this is serious hassle, as you will be using a passport and visa, and those numbers change often. Also you need to be on a residency visa for it to be possible to have it in your name.

Using a Chinese ID card is much easier. It doesn't matter whose name the bike is in, so long as the bike is registered, insured and has annual government safety tests after the bike is two or three years old, it's perfectly legal for you to ride. In many areas the police won't change the name on a bikes documentation if the bike is second hand, because they are too lazy. Almost every foreigner I know that has a bike has it in their wife or girlfriend's name, I'm on my 3rd bike in China, and I've never had one on my own name!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #15 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ah, yes! The visa numbers. I forgot about that. They are going to change yearly or thereabouts. Oh well, everything we have bought is in the wife's name, I guess this might as well be, too. HAHHAAH Does that mean she has to stand in line for days instead of me? She'll love that!!!!

6. #16 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    Althugh it may be different now, I think the line to get it registered will not be so bad. The whole process can be done in a few hours usually...assuming you have ALL the correct paperwork and documentation.

Don't forget that when you get the registration/insurance for a new bike you will need to take the bike to the XiPu station for it to be inspected. IIRC, You get your plates as the very last step in a small building outside the main complex on the other side of the main parking lot.

Also, there's another member on here, GingerAdams, who also currently lives in Chengdu and is in much the same boat as you right now. He may send you a Private Message (PM) soon.

CC

7. #17 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I talked to GingerAdam. Unfortunately, he is here on a tourist visa visiting a friend, just passing through. He 1.) won't be here more than a few more days, 2.) Doesn't have a Resident Permit, 3.) Can't register a bike if he bought one, so he wouldn't be able to get it out of the country.

Nice guy though, he wanted to ride back to the U.K.

We are going to HK tomorrow to get my correct visa for teaching. Will return on Thursday. I should be able to schedule my test for my drivers license within two weeks after I get back, barring any unforeseen schedule changes.

I'm going to go back to the dealership and ask when the 2010 model will be available to order. I have a few more questions for them; ie: what modifications will void the warranty, cost of extended warranty, etc.

Wife said to get it when I am ready, so as soon as I can order a 2010, I will order it.

Can anyone point me to the specs on this engine and transmission? I'm look for the deep specs, one or two piece crankshaft, cam profiles, DOHC or SOHC, gear ratios, everything...

How about a maintenance book, parts catalog?
    Last edited by LH1953; 10-17-2009 at 08:38 AM.

8. #18 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    The Johnny Pag web page is not a bad place to start your research. It's got downloadable specs, service manual, parts catalogs and some other fun stuff.

http://www.johnnypag.com/motorcycles...r300/index.php

You can also probably try contacting him, or someone from his company directly if the answers you seek aren't there.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by LH1953 View Post
    Can anyone point me to the specs on this engine and transmission? I'm look for the deep specs, one or two piece crankshaft, cam profiles, DOHC or SOHC, gear ratios, everything...

How about a maintenance book, parts catalog?

9. #19 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    If you are looking for specs you should be able to find out some things by finding out about Honda CMX250 CB250N CL250 CB350 and CL350 engines. Be careful to ignore things about the CB250RS, because that was a single cylinder.

The 350cc engines and 250cc engines are supposed to be pretty similar. I'm not certain how similar the original Honda engines are to what regal raptor currently use. Although Regal Raptor have a system of putting fresh air down the exhaust valves to pass emission tests. I believe many of the engineers think that the engines resemble late 80's to mid 90's Honda Rebel CMX 250 engines.

Also you should only need to present your wife's ID card to the dealership or just a photocopy, then pay a deposit (500-1000RMB). They should be then able to do all paperwork and sort everything else out, including ordering the bike from the factory, getting the bike tested, getting number plates, getting the photo taken, and insurance.

Absolutely do not pay in full until the bike is road ready and road legal, and set up to your specifications. A few of our friends didn't ask for our advice, and paid in full for a bike without plates. What then happens is that the dealers don't care about getting plates and documentation, because they already have your money!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

10. #20 Re: Regal Raptor DG-350E-6 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi. I figured I might as well chime in, as I have a Honda Rebel here in Shanghai. A friend of mine also just bought a DD=250 E9B (under Chopper custom).

Having looked at the Regal Raptors, a few observation can be made.

They are all based on Honda CMX250 Rebels, specifically the Japanese Domestic Market edition. Therefore, unlike US Rebels, they have twin carbs and the disk brake is on the right on the single disk models.

As you go along the line, various mods have been made to the original design. Water cooling, boring the engine out ot 300 or 350 cc's, etc.

Most Honda parts will fit a Regal Raptor, and Vice versa.

The chopper customs are most similar to the Honda Rebel with the other models more and more diverging from the theme. The 'spyder' cruisers give you a rear monoshock (for a hardtail look) and a more raked out front end. The Daytona cruisers give you a different fuel tank and rear fender.

That said my suggestion would be to try sitting on a DD250E, the air cooled basic Honda Rebel clone. Simpler (so less to go wrong) and the frame and chassis are definitely properly engineered. My Rebel easily hits 120 km/h, so it is certainly fast enough. Having ridden the water cooled 250, I found the increased mass and complexity did not make up for the slightly increased power. I am guessing the 350 would be even heavier. Also, the less raked out front end gives you more maneuverability and less stability. The Spyder is probably too raked out to be able to avoid brain dead Chinese pedestrians.

Finally, the monoshock RR's just plain don't seem to have the rear schocks to deal with the weight 2 up.

So, in short, I think you should consider forgoing the water cooled 350 engine for the aircooled 250 and should forgo the spyder for the twin shock 'chopper.' This is based on riding my rebel and trying a water cooled chopper.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast