Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Coil question

1. #1 Coil question 
    Normaly I would never chance a ignition part that is not identical in conections or design but here I am now with a performance coil that I want to use but am unsure if I can

My Saga gy250 c2 coil has 2 wire in to coil....the universl performance coil has one wire into it....I have no acurate wiring diag of the machine.

Does anyone know if I can use the perofmance coil then??

2. #2 Re: Coil question 
    What makes this a performance coil? Hotter discharge?

Hopefully the resident electronics guru (oooh Forchetto!) will be along soon. If you happen to have some pics of the old and new coil terminals it may prove helpful.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Coil question 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    As far as I know they claim a coil is a "high performance" one by playing with the number of turns in the windings or a better magnetic core so that its output voltage is boosted.
    If, as it's likely, the factory coil is adequate, you won't see any performance increase.
    If on the other hand the factory unit is poor you'll get better starting, steadier idle, better resistance to plug fouling, etc.

To take advantage of any voltage increase you can also increase the plug gap slightly. About 0.2-0.3 mm. This is of course assuming the makers claims are true.

Two-wire coils have both low tension terminals coming out of the moulding that houses the winding and single wire coils have one of the terminals connected to the metalwork of the coil.

I've never done it but I imagine that the new coil has to be fixed in such a manner that it has a good chassis connection and then the remaining connection made to the wire that goes to the CDI unit. You'll have to identify which of the two wires in the loom go to that.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

4. #4 Re: Coil question 
    Well I got it all to work. I traced the coil wire to the CDI ( black/yellow) and mounted the coil to the frame of the bike.When I hooked it up the spark checker it was the difference of a thin spark to a hugh fat lighting storm.
    I hope it helps with cold running performance and better idle ( well those were my intial issues).
    When I pulled the seat off,I found that the bolt that holds the seat subframe to the main frame was missing it's nut.All othe nuts and bolts were in place and tight.

Will post pic asap.

5. #5 Re: Coil question 
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    When I pulled the seat off,I found that the bolt that holds the seat subframe to the main frame was missing it's nut.All othe nuts and bolts were in place and tight.
    That could have been a damned nasty surprise! Good thing you found it!

Looking forward to the pics!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com