Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Bought this bike in a crate, no warranty and cheap. Assembled and on the raod but in the 2 weeks on the road:

One bolt fell out of left hand switch assembly and lost.

Radiator hose popped off in traffic, clouds of steam and very embarrasing. Looks like the hose clip was never put on for the hose connected to the left radiator. Nice.

Side stand spring fell off and lost.

Bike seems top have power but very low gearing so low top end.

Moral of story, if you buy in crate make sure to check every nut, bolt clip spring etc.

Thinking about altering gear ratios.

oh yes, does anyone know type pressures or at least guestimate?

2. #2 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    DJ,

Pics will go a long way in helping us know what kind of bike you're dealing with. All the problems you mentioned are pretty standard for bargain crated Chinese bikes but it's still unfortunate you've had so many crazy problems with it. Did you get it registered okay? Where are you riding it?

When you say "type pressures" do you mean tire pressures?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Sorry that was a typo. I do need the Tyre pressures. See pic of the bike:
    Attached Images

4. #4 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Whoever sold it has to have a users manual somewhere. Every bike produced in the known world has one...

Until then you could use these figures from a bike with same size wheels/tyres and similar weight:

Front: 2.25 bar (33 psi)

Rear: 2.25 bar (33 psi) Increase to 2.5 bar (36 psi) with passenger.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

5. #5 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Further issues:

Speedo reads all over the place.

Starter solenoid failed - had to replace after getting advice from another thred in this forum (thanks guys).

Main headlights failed - replaced two bulbs.

Wiring failed on indicators (rain water in the connector blocks). Still dodgey.

Exhaust box rattles and buzzes, rivets are all loose and something inside rattles.

There is lots of noise from around the chain and front sprocket even though all seems tight. still not sure wher this is coming from.

Now I find that the two lugs on the rear engine mounts are cracked and broken so will need to get the frame welded. (Never been off-road or jumped speed humps or any other reason for this kind of damage on the frame.

In all I'm starting to lose faith!:)

Any ideas on the frame would be welcome. Is it likely a design fault? Do you think its worth getting welded or will it just break again?

Happy new year all.

6. #6 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCW View Post
    Further issues:

Speedo reads all over the place.

Starter solenoid failed - had to replace after getting advice from another thred in this forum (thanks guys).

Main headlights failed - replaced two bulbs.

Wiring failed on indicators (rain water in the connector blocks). Still dodgey.

Exhaust box rattles and buzzes, rivets are all loose and something inside rattles.

There is lots of noise from around the chain and front sprocket even though all seems tight. still not sure wher this is coming from.

Now I find that the two lugs on the rear engine mounts are cracked and broken so will need to get the frame welded. (Never been off-road or jumped speed humps or any other reason for this kind of damage on the frame.

In all I'm starting to lose faith!:)

Any ideas on the frame would be welcome. Is it likely a design fault? Do you think its worth getting welded or will it just break again?

Happy new year all.
    I have one of these I bikes I also bought mine a create, its and 09, and I had the same problem as you with the rear engine mounts and I then found that the bottom engine mount spacing is no good, there is a gap between the mount and engine so even if it is locked up the engine can still move, so I undid the mount and put enough washers to fill the gap and locked it up solving the problem, I also had a rattle in my exhaust, it is the Spark arrester it restricts the air flow coming out the exhaust so it is a restricted, I drilled out the rivets and took the spark arrester out, though be sure to make sure the bolt that holds the exhaust is always tight, I didn’t and lost my exhaust, I now have another one on that is much louder and barks more :D, as for gear ratios and top end, I ordered a bigger sprocket which should give me less accelerate and more top end but I found that it didn’t accelerate any slower, and I have managed to get 70MPH out of it, which I think isn't bad as standard it should only do 55MPH (90KMH), also my Speedo has died all I get now it the blue light lighting it up, I took it apart and found that there is a capacitor that is too big for the casing and what they did was allow it to stick out the circuit board far enough to bend it over which then broke off, I also have the same problem with bulbs, i have changed the head light assemble as the original vibrates well, the bulbs live longer but over time the solder melts causing connection loss the bulb receives too much power, which is why they blow I am going to fit a voltage regulator which should stop them from blowing, as for indicators I have changed them all round as I didn't like what was on there. I have also had a problem off some of the blocks in the wiring starting to corrode but with the new headlight assembly less water can get to the wires as it all pulls closer to the stem, but I just spray WD40 to get them clean. Also a good idea would be to keep and eye on the stud and nut that hold the carb on, or change them to bolts as I found that they can loose, I was out when one of the studs feel out at the time I didn’t realise what it was, so I ended up pushing the bike home for at least a mile on a hot day, you don’t want that :D. Also my throtle cable broke it corroded at the top end fortuantly I was able to get me and the bike picked up. I have found that with this bike that after you get through the problems at the start they are very good bikes, I ride mine 50 miles to college and back everyday and it is running well.

7. #7 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    Damien,

Good job digging into the bike. 50 mile round trip is a good distance for a 125. How many miles total on the bike now?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #8 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Damien,

Good job digging into the bike. 50 mile round trip is a good distance for a 125. How many miles total on the bike now?

CC
    Well I cant be 100% sure as the speedo is dead, I have been going to college for 12 weeks so thats 3000 miles just for college I most likely have done in the region of 5k or 6k as I ride loads, I really do love the bike.

9. #9 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for all your help. I'll definately check out the lower engine mnount. I thought the movement was by design but the washer idea sounds good. Did you weld up the top mounting ? I'm going to tackle the exhaust this weekend so the spark arrestor has got to go!
    I also want to put a new front sprocket on. Can you tell me what part you ordered? Is is a honda part or other?

Strarting to gain more faith after what you said :)

10. #10 Re: Mikilon m96 125SB 2008 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCW View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I'll definately check out the lower engine mnount. I thought the movement was by design but the washer idea sounds good. Did you weld up the top mounting ? I'm going to tackle the exhaust this weekend so the spark arrestor has got to go!
    I also want to put a new front sprocket on. Can you tell me what part you ordered? Is is a honda part or other?

Strarting to gain more faith after what you said :)
    I haven't had the rear engine mounts welded up yet but the engine is solid in place, yea all you have to do for the exhaust is drill out the rivets and pull it apart take to bit out n rivet it back together. I can't remember what front sprocket I bought as all I did was take it off and take it to my local bike shop they took measurements of it all and ordered in a 13 tooth sprocket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast