Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Member From England 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Guys,

My name is Andy from England. I came across this forum whilst searching the web for Chinese motorbikes.

I currently ride an 2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure

It's my pride and joy, I toured Belgium/Germany/Luxembourg on it this July and had a great time.

I'm looking to buy a Chinese Off Road bike to use through the British winter, as they salt the roads over here which absolutely destroys motorbikes, so I want to store the Beemer over winter.

I like the look of the Galaxy XTR250 and know it's available in the UK as the SCM, but would like more suggestions on Chinese Off Road bikes.

Thanks

Andy

2. #2 Re: New Member From England 
    C-Moto Noob
    Well m8 not wanting to put you off china bikes lol
    but if u are buying 1 for the winter rust proof everything.
    Road salt eats imports trust me i know lol. So if u are geting 1 get it sand blasted or sumthing other wise it will be a 1 winter only bike lol.

3. #3 Re: New Member From England 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by smithyUK View Post
    Well m8 not wanting to put you off china bikes lol
    but if u are buying 1 for the winter rust proof everything.
    Road salt eats imports trust me i know lol. So if u are geting 1 get it sand blasted or sumthing other wise it will be a 1 winter only bike lol.
    Don't worry it will be treated with ACF-50 from new:-

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/

A mate of mine uses it on his 2006 BMW R1200 Adventure, and it keeps it immaculate. He uses his bike all through winter, keeps it in his back garden uncovered....in fact it's never been stored in a garage since new, and he lives 200 yards from the North Sea !! In fact it's in better nick than mine, which doesn't get used in winter or on wet roads !!

4. #4 Re: New Member From England 
    How does the ACF-50 stand up against high heat? (like on exhaust pipes?)

You can also try rubberizing spray used on tool grips and sometimes truck beds. You can buy them in spray cans at auto parts stores.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 Re: New Member From England 
    C-Moto Regular
    Carl, you spray it everywhere on the bike except the brake discs and tyres, so it holds up to exhaust and engine heat no problem.

It really is amazing stuff ! The worse part about it though, is you spray it on and leave it for 3-6 months.......no washing of the bike at all, just a light hosing with fresh water from a hose pipe. So the bike looks really grimy for 3-6 months until you wash it off the ACF-50 with degreaser.....then it looks brand spanking new again !!

6. #6 ACF-50 
    This stuff is truely amazing.

Surpasses WD-40 by light years. One of my better finds about 5 months ago. The grease is non-electro conductive so it's ideal to stuff into elec connections and switches (especially that pesky sidestand swtich).

There is a boyo in the village that has a Chinese Knight 125 (looks like a Jinlun 125-13 Hardley) who rides every day in all weathers (rain [carbonic acid], rain, rain, road salt, rain and more rain - North Wales innit!) and it's kept outside. It's about 3 years old now. He's used ACF-50 since he got it and the only trace of corrosion is around a big washer at the top of the rear damper that missed treatment. I mean, the thing looks brand new!...and he's not had any elec probs either.

You only need to put on the thinnest film of the liquid ACF-50 (actually a few molecules thickness would do), so it's best to use a very fine misting spayer. The ACF-50 spayer that comes with the 1 litre bottle is next to useless.

I recon a 1 litre bottle should last for a few years.
    Last edited by davidqc; 11-05-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: corrections
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

7. #7 Re: New Member From England 
    Welcome to here, Andy! Does SMC have a dual sport lighting kit for their 250cc? Or can you ride off-road bikes on the road?

Is rain that white, fluffy stuff that comes out of the sky? The old cowboys "reckin it ain't rained in these parts of Ar-zona fer 100 years or so.."

Not much use in this part of the country for ACF-50, but there are many wet parts of N. America, so I could imagine there would be a good market here for it for bikes.

8. #8 Re: New Member From England 

9. #9 Re: New Member From England 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hello
    How can I know if my engine is a cg or cb style?

10. #10 Re: New Member From England 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Welcome to here, Andy! Does SMC have a dual sport lighting kit for their 250cc? Or can you ride off-road bikes on the road?

Is rain that white, fluffy stuff that comes out of the sky? The old cowboys "reckin it ain't rained in these parts of Ar-zona fer 100 years or so.."

Not much use in this part of the country for ACF-50, but there are many wet parts of N. America, so I could imagine there would be a good market here for it for bikes.
    SMC do a road legal 250 enduro with lights and indicators.

Yeah the weather is pretty sh**y over here most of the time, my Brother in Law and his family moved over to San Diego to work for five years and all they did was complain about it always being so hot....can you imagine that !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast