Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Importing a Bike to the UK 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Guys,

I'm interesetd in buying a 250 4 stroke Enduro bike, I particulaly like the Galaxy/Puzey/SCM XTR250.

I'd like to save a bit of money, so was wondering is it a difficult job importing a single bike to the UK ?

Cheers

Andy

2. #2 Re: Importing a Bike to the UK 
    C-Moto Noob
    from what i hear its meant to be difficult.
    either type chinese motorcycle imports and search pages in the uk on google. if ur up for traveling edinburgh motorcycle imports is the biggest in uk i think lol

3. #3 Re: Importing a Bike to the UK 
    C-Moto Noob

4. #4 Re: Importing a Bike to the UK 
    Chances of just getting one bike imported wouldn't do you much good unless you convinced a factory you were going to import and distribute.

If you're not a dealer or distributor, you're better off saving money and hassle to buy one locally.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 Re: Importing a Bike to the UK 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hird View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'd like to save a bit of money, so was wondering is it a difficult job importing a single bike to the UK ?
    Yes. Very. Just as SmityUk posted, it's meant to be. In two words, DVLA + HMRC.

The paperwork can be horrendous when acting in person. You will be deemed to be a crook until you prove otherwise (in meticulous detail and triplicate) by these organs of our wonderful soviet state (I kid you not).

Even with an EU cat II/III cert of compliance (which if the bike is not normally imported to the UK is unlikely to have) the DVLA will almost certainly want to inspect any bike imported in person - £75 plus the cost of transporting the bike to and from the DVLA office. What issues they find with the bike (they'll find something, trust me) the DVLA will insist third party verification that such have been corrected. In practical terms, it won't be possible to appeal - just too expensive - and in any event it's 99% certain you'd lose any appeal. More cost. More hassle.

I'm told that the DVLA are now even pulling 1 in 20 bikes with full EU cert's of complaince in for such inspection. Another revenue earner. Natch.

There is also the issue of taxes HMRC would levy. It's a they say, you pay.

However, if you are looking for a life changing experience for the heck of it or you intend to write a book on 'How I took on Organs of State and Lost', you could give it go. Or you can get an import agent to do it for you, but of course it's not free.

Either way, it's unlikely you'd save money on importing in person, would take ages, and it could take a few years off your life. If you complained too much you'll be labeled a racist or a pedio or a homophobe or a fascist, or worse a Tory. More usually, folk import in person cos the item is a 'must have at any cost'.

Hope this helps. Sorry it all sounds so negative. But don't blame me, blame Comrade snogger Brown...

...spooky, right. :-)
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot