Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Typically after the police arrive at a fight they pull everyone apart, send to the police station to take report, both parties go to the hospitals to get checked up, then back to the police station. Bills of bodily and property damage are added up and then divided in half for both parties to pay. Sorry, I digress...
    Good news ! Many times I feel I would start a fight if only I could speak enough Chinese. Thinking I need to explain why I'm punching away... But now i see it doesn't make much difference. Thanks.

2. #22 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post

Luckily I keep it upright and manage to catch up with the guy and get him to pull over.

After a few seconds of blowing steam and seeing the guy was actually quite scared I eventually cooled off and was simply glad noboby was hurt. Best part is there was a lady in the van reading a news paper the entire time who not once bothered to see what was going on!

CC
    Had a very similar situation last April when I actually went down on my bike and cracked my arm. I picked my bike up, started it then caught up to the guy who had cut me off on his Ebike. At this point I was very close to beating the snot out of him but he was maybe a foot shorter and 80 pounds lighter. After yelling at him while holding him by the scruff of the neck for a few seconds he actually started crying and I let him go. I still feel bad about it and my only excuse is that I was pumped up with adrenaline after the tumble.

Buddy of mine has a knack for smashing off door mirrors with his gloved hand when a car gets too close, but generally I try my damndest to avoid all confrontation. There's just too much at stake and no real way of winning those conflicts.

3. #23 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    The less you speak the better. You will never win an argument against a local, have you seen how long they can keep going? It's insane, they will keep shouting for hours whether they are right or wrong or have nothing to say. As the saying goes: "never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

It can be hard to resist the urge to break someone's nose at times, god knows some of them deserve it, but the thing is nothing will be gained and they won't learn anything as they'll always assume they did nothing wrong. It's infuriating, but it is what it is.

I must confess though i did lash out once, a car pushed me into a ditch even though i was right alonside the front window beeping and he'd clearly seen me. I caught up to him, broke the mirror of the side and sped off. I'm not proud of it but it did feel good.

4. #24 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    I dont know this is relevant, but i learnt something from it. My dad's car was hit by some semi-drunken guy who entering the straight road on his small truck, end up ugly. the Q is who paid the damage? the drunken guy only has 交强insure and he is unwilling to pay his responsibility(he need the insure to repair his wreck truck) by blaming the other side was driving too fast.
    The traffic police came for the unsolved incident, they didn't intend to solve the problem, they kept quite and wait. Both party didn't give in end up both car tow to traffic police station, where they kept for a few days. and yes, both have to paid fees.
    over the years, our subconsciously is to blame the other party if unfortunate traffic incident happen, if the other person was tough enough, than it would gets more complicated, the worst thing is end up paying more when lend to police's hand. We have a choice to make b4 fight, win over the other party meaning more resource has to spend, or give in for less price tag?
    so who wins? the traffic police. Drivers always lose. but try lose less and not paid the price for real unnecessary like righteous.
    p.s. there is another kind of vehicle the driver don't mind paying damage (not on his own of course), if you can identify them.

ride safe with eagle eyes. td

5. #25 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    SEE profile pic for new age washing machine
    I started out on a Ebike (better to practice on one of them)
    I have been pushed in to ditches and forced to do some crazy moves to avoid being splatted. still, iv learnt to ride here and know its safer to ride in the citys than in these small towns. people out here dont seem to have driving licenses most of the times and there are a hell of a lot of cars without plates.

Any how, I have some good news. I was riding home from work on my little 125, There was a pack of us (maybe 6 bikes in total) stuck behind a slow moving lorry.
    one of these impationt a$$h0l3 drivers on a bike (the sort that does not mind cutting you up to get 2 meters ahead of where he was) tried to over take several times, then decided to undertake. after a lot of beeping I moved a bit more to the left so he could undertake me and the lorry. unfortunately for him he chose a place to undertake in front of a load of shops. even more unfortunately he choose to over take where there is metal storm drains going along the entire road. even more unfortunate was the shop keeper how had cleaned his for court a little time before.

So I move over and he revs the hell out of his lovely new honda. goes to undertake the lorry and rides on the wet metal that has its bars going the same direction as he is going. rather spectacularly the front of his bike whips round to the right hitting some thing and sending it flying, the rear of his bike catches up to the front of his bike and keeps going. during the tumble im guessing he held on for dear life and pulled the accelerator all the way back. even high revs, the bikes now hitting the ground,
    he somehow manages to get off the bike and keep a hold of the accelerator handle.
    bikes scraping against sidewalk.
    5 bikers are riding past all staring at him.
    owner of fallen bike still just about standing, still holding on to the bike and chasing it.
    people in from of the row of shops are staring at him.
    I look ahead to make sure truck isnt doing any thing stupid and try and watch in my mirror, didnt work due to vibrations.

some times you have to sit back and appreciate the finer things in life.

6. #26 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    overtaking is risky enough. undertaking? go straight to the undertaker!

thanks for sharing, and for updating your avatar with your location. i presume there's some excellent rural riding near you.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #27 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    suicidal chinese HAHAHAHAHA
    thank you.
    humm, maybe, i just ride to get to work and a little exploring. (when it was hotter to ride to a unused river and have a swim away from the crowds.
    just trying to update profile photo now.... give me a week ;-)

8. #28 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Undertaking can be fine here, i did a lot of it on my recent recent trip and found it was safer at times than overtaking. Just need a clear view of what's ahead, on open roads it's no problem.

lightend, i HIGHLY recommend this road! It's only a short blast away from ningde. I was on it last week and it was the highlight of that day! Adorable little road, with the smallest damn i've ever seen in china and a waterfall too!

9. #29 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    hey Felix,
    umm the road that been highlighted, it does not seem to have been built yet?????? is it a cross country little path?

10. #30 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    ohh i see, its map displacment.. got it :-) its on the same round that i live on:-) just a few miles away.
    i'll check it out.
    thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123