Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    That is definitely a relevant topic in China

I have had such bad experiences a few times, partly because I never really learned (=took classes) how to ride a bike, just got the 125cc french license after two years having the car license (yea we used to have that regulation). I do plan to take a few lessons on emergency braking and shunning (and other important stuff) next time I go home for the holidays.

Still, I have already riden in BJ (about 20,000 km, mostly urban) and one time it was definitely the guy's fault (a cabbie, of course): a wonderful cut-in, just like in the movies when they try to whack the good guy. Fortunately, I had time to brake and was only going about 20km per hour when I hit his bumper and fell on the side. No serious damage (indicator broken and some bruises) but I dont wanna imagine what would have happened if cars arriving behind were a bit closer. Of course - again - the cabbie only left his car to check his bumper (not interested in me lying on the ground).

To me, a good way to read the traffic is thinking that all pedestrians and light vehicles wanna use your bike to commit suicide, and all cars and bigger vehicles wanna end your life. And they're gonna use the element of surprise. Of course it's not true, but I keep finding it surprisingly relevant.

And I agree that attention should be maximum: if I am tired or just out of bed, I drive 20km/h slower. And yea, I agree that most attention (not all) should be towards what's ahead, not behind (every driver seems to follow that logic, which gives it sense somehow)

2. #12 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    As close as you can come to 360 degrees of awareness, 110% of the time the better!

Also important is to use the bikes maneuverability advantage to control your position in traffic. Too much defensive riding can be a bad thing at times. Be where YOU need to be in position of the traffic...putting along and hoping someone will not run you off the road because they're too busy being big man on the cell phone is a bad idea.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #13 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by French_Rider View Post
    That is definitely a relevant topic in China ...
    Not only in China

Quote Originally Posted by French_Rider View Post
    ... I do plan to take a few lessons on emergency braking and shunning (and other important stuff) next time I go home for the holidays. ...
    We are holding safety trainings to practice exactly that before and during every riding season. PM me your cell phone no and e-mail and you're in
    Last edited by chinabiker; 12-18-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo
    Andy

4. #14 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Yea you're right, it must be true everywhere; actually I only have riden in China, never in my country... India and maybe Bangladesh in March may change my opinion about the traffic situation in China/Beijing, I expect the worse there

I sent you a PM but dont know if you received it, the website says I have no sent messages...

5. #15 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Hey I got that "fish stare" too recently. A guy in a red cadillac swerved right and hit me. Luckily I didn't fall over but my ankle got pinned against my front fairing and was sprained. After I got off my bike and hobbled over to his car he didn't say anything but "what" and just stared at me like I did something wrong!

6. #16 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
    I get up. My ATTGAT consisted of a half helmet, goggles, tweed blazer, cords and dress shoes.
    You guys seem to have missed an important point, giving the absolutely crazy driving condition here in China. What did you have on? "..tweed blazer, cords and dress shoes.." in such a nightmarish traffic? My suggestion is always putting on your best protective gears: full helmet, riding jacket with protective pads (mesh in summer), riding pants or knee protector, and riding boots. I leave my office costumes in the office and ride fully equipped ALWAYS. Those protective gears do work. This is a hard lesson I've learned in China after many bruises, road rashes, swollen knees, and sprained ankles.

7. #17 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
    Hey I got that "fish stare" too recently. A guy in a red cadillac swerved right and hit me. Luckily I didn't fall over but my ankle got pinned against my front fairing and was sprained. After I got off my bike and hobbled over to his car he didn't say anything but "what" and just stared at me like I did something wrong!
    Yeh, he doesn't want any trouble and he's daring you to cause any. Pretty typical asshole maneuver in China. Did you let him get away with it or did you call the police?

8. #18 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    I was riding to the mtns with my gf at the time in Chengdu a few years back. Two up on a 150 with bags and not going very fast. Total dick head in a big white iveco van friggin straight up hits me with his mirror and the side of his car pushes into my knee. We almost whet into one of those meter deep concret?e drainage channels on the side of the road...that would have been so much fun!

Luckily I keep it upright and manage to catch up with the guy and get him to pull over.

Douche bag driver gets out and starts checking his vehical for damage. I was totally out of this world irate and wearng full roadcrafter suit. I don't think I've ever been so close to straigt up crushing a guy in my whole life.

After a few seconds of blowing steam and seeing the guy was actually quite scared I eventually cooled off and was simply glad noboby was hurt. Best part is there was a lady in the van reading a news paper the entire time who not once bothered to see what was going on!

Themz is the days you count your blessings and do you best to nt crack someones head open with our helmet.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

9. #19 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Yeh, he doesn't want any trouble and he's daring you to cause any. Pretty typical asshole maneuver in China. Did you let him get away with it or did you call the police?
    I walked away. I don't have my license yet (still in class) nor plate (just got a bike and getting the plates now) but at that time I thought it wasn't worth calling 110 and taking a chance that things would work against me.

I was ready to hit the guy but his car had 3 other guys. I heard there doors pop open as soon as I started yelling at the guy. Two guys I can maybe handle but not four. In case anyone does decide to hit someone, hit him in the stomach. Their is no distinction of self defense or aggravated assault here in Shanghai. The wimpy police pretty much act as mediators. Typically after the police arrive at a fight they pull everyone apart, send to the police station to take report, both parties go to the hospitals to get checked up, then back to the police station. Bills of bodily and property damage are added up and then divided in half for both parties to pay. Sorry, I digress...

10. #20 Re: Went down on the street for the first time....in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Typically after the police arrive at a fight they pull everyone apart, send to the police station to take report, both parties go to the hospitals to get checked up, then back to the police station. Bills of bodily and property damage are added up and then divided in half for both parties to pay. Sorry, I digress...
    Good news ! Many times I feel I would start a fight if only I could speak enough Chinese. Thinking I need to explain why I'm punching away... But now i see it doesn't make much difference. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast