Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob French_Rider's Avatar
    Hi everyone

This question has been in my mind for some time now. I browsed the forum but havent seen this very question yet, so I post here.

I have a chinese license for cars and motorcycles and plans to get the side-car license soon (so now C1+E and wanna evolve into C1+D).

I know that I can drive with it in my country - France - with an official translation, thanks to a bilateral agreement (we let chinese drive with their license; China doesnt wanna let anyone drive with non-chinese licenses so step up and gives us the chinese one after a computer test).

So I know I'm good for both ends of a transcontinental trip, but I wonder for the countries in between (could be Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia, then Ukraine and Europe). My guess is that since China isnt part of the system for international license, and since its a major world player with a lot of cooperation with many countries, other countries may let people drive with chinese licenses on their soil (through bilateral agreements) and enjoy the possibility to be granted a chinese license and drive in the middle kingdom.

Does someone knows about it? and if yes about the conditions to enjoy such a right, and potentially if it increases custom troubles and demands for bribes?

Thanks

P.S. I cant get an international license using my french one, at least for motorcycles. After 2 years having a car license, france used to grant people a 125cc bike license. When I transfered it, the Beijing Traffic Bureau gave me motorycles (E). So basically I only have the motorcyle license in China...

2. #2 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    I think the general rule is to have as many as possible and hope at least one of them works.

If you have both international and french licenses, I would think you would be okay after leaving China to all points west.

A member on MCM, TokyoKid, has made that trip on a 125. He and many others on here may know more details.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Hi Carl

The problem is that I don't have an international license. If I want to make one, it will be based on the categories I have on my french license, i.e. only cars. The fact that I have 125cc category will not grant me the motorcycle category for the international license since it's only for "light motos" and there are 2 other categories for bigger bikes.

And because China is not part of the system, my PRC license won't give me the international license and I'll have to use it all the way. Hence my question

I'll contact tokyokid by PM

Thks

4. #4 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Hi FR

According to the AA Russia requires an IDP, while it is only recommended for Kyrg and Kaz. It can't be wrong to just get one with your French dl when you go to France next time.
    Andy

5. #5 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Possibly you could try transferring your Chinese motorcycle license to a French license by post, then get an IDP by post. This may well not be possible however.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #6 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Sadly that's not possible, there is no transfer agreement between France and mainland China, only an agreement to let people use their national license in the other country. China has decided to do more and give me the chinese license but France is not obligated to do so

Maybe if I'm lucky and find a traffic bureau employee back in my hometown not well aware of the rule, but officially it's not possible.

That's why I'd like to know if I can drive all the way with a 中华人民共和国机动车驾驶证

7. #7 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Quote Originally Posted by French_Rider View Post
    Sadly that's not possible, there is no transfer agreement between France and mainland China, only an agreement to let people use their national license in the other country. China has decided to do more and give me the chinese license but France is not obligated to do so

Maybe if I'm lucky and find a traffic bureau employee back in my hometown not well aware of the rule, but officially it's not possible.

That's why I'd like to know if I can drive all the way with a 中华人民共和国机动车驾驶证
    A group of Chinese guys rode from Beijing to Munich from May to June this year, all with their Chinese licenses only.

You may ask for an international one, created from your Chinese one at http://www.international-license.com/
    Their website is also available in Chinese, so I assume that they will do it for a Chinese license as well.

If you know somebody who holds an IDP, there is also the way of DIY
    Andy

8. #8 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Hi

Thanks for the tip. I will have a closer look at that website and especially at what they say in the chinese version (and if its targeted to people in mainland china, or just chinese-speaking people abroad - they're many..). The website does include China in the list of countries for the international license, which contradicts what I heard before. If it's true, good news

I will try to get some more info from the people at the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau, but I'm basically afraid of 2 things: 1) they won't know (they already seem to be unsure of which category to give when making a license transfer); 2) they'll know but for some mysterious reason they'll tell me it's not possible even if it is, just because they don't like my idea (this kind of stuff happened to me for a different problem)

Anyway, would you have a contact of those chinese riders who traveled to Germany? In addition to being quite useful, it would also be interesting to hear their travel stories...

Cheers

Pierre

9. #9 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    C-Moto Senior
    Your Chinese Driver's license is good for all of EU, but for Russia and any former Soviet Republics, you need an International License. You can get them in HKG or maybe there is a guy in Beijing that offers them. I rode from The Isle of Man to Beijing, on a bike with Chinese plates and had no difficulty at all, but only Russia and Mongolia wanted to see my Int'l Drivers License.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

Quote Originally Posted by French_Rider View Post
    Hi everyone

This question has been in my mind for some time now. I browsed the forum but havent seen this very question yet, so I post here.

I have a chinese license for cars and motorcycles and plans to get the side-car license soon (so now C1+E and wanna evolve into C1+D).

I know that I can drive with it in my country - France - with an official translation, thanks to a bilateral agreement (we let chinese drive with their license; China doesnt wanna let anyone drive with non-chinese licenses so step up and gives us the chinese one after a computer test).

So I know I'm good for both ends of a transcontinental trip, but I wonder for the countries in between (could be Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia, then Ukraine and Europe). My guess is that since China isnt part of the system for international license, and since its a major world player with a lot of cooperation with many countries, other countries may let people drive with chinese licenses on their soil (through bilateral agreements) and enjoy the possibility to be granted a chinese license and drive in the middle kingdom.

Does someone knows about it? and if yes about the conditions to enjoy such a right, and potentially if it increases custom troubles and demands for bribes?

Thanks

P.S. I cant get an international license using my french one, at least for motorcycles. After 2 years having a car license, france used to grant people a 125cc bike license. When I transfered it, the Beijing Traffic Bureau gave me motorycles (E). So basically I only have the motorcyle license in China...

10. #10 Re: Validity of Chinese driving license in foreign countries 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar View Post
    Your Chinese Driver's license is good for all of EU, but for Russia and any former Soviet Republics, you need an International License. You can get them in HKG ...
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com
    HKG shut that "backdoor" in 2006

TD 051

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND FEE
    When you submit your application, please produce the following documents:—
    1. ...
    your H.K. Identity Card (A photocopy of your identity document may be accepted and will be destroyed after the processing of your application);

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast