Motorcycle or Scooter?
The best of two worlds?
A look at the CFMOTO V3
by Jacine Smith

For those who want sport or cruiser style automatic motorcycles, then the CFMOTO (Baron) is a good bike to consider. I've had my 2006 for a while now and it has met and exceeded expectations.CFMoto has produced bikes and scooters for the European and Asian Market since 1985 and the scooters have been marketed in the US for several years. In 2005 (summer of 2004) the CF V3 and V5 were created for marketing in Europe and the US.The initial 2005s had remote control alarm systems and starters, but tended to draw off the battery approximately 1 AH. If the bikes weren't ridden within two weeks, the batteries had to be recharged. The 2006s no longer have the remote and starter.I normally ride a Yamaha 650 V* but in city traffic, shifting was becoming more of a nuisance. Plus a heavy cruiser is not at its best in stop and go traffic. So the search for an automatic that could perform as well as one that I could flat foot. I'm 5' 7" and the V3 has a 28 inch seat height unloaded. (26 inch loaded) and works perfectly. I've had 6' 3" friends on it who say it is very comfortable with the forward equipped floor boards.

So how is it?

The V3 styling is European sport, and very eye stopping. It resembles the BMW 1200 sport cruiser styling. It has full fairings that are easily removed for maintenance, held on by good quality chrome plated hex screws. I have added star washers to these to prevent over tightening on the plastic and remove any vibration.

Engine - The engine is a 250 (242) cc water cooled 10:1 single cylinder 4 stroke that puts out 18 horse. The main jet is a 110, which I will probably increase in time to a 112.5. The carburetor is a Kehein 30 mm continuous vacuum draw. The same carbs are used in the Honda helix and reflex, as well as many sports bikes and racers. I had to adjust the idle when received since it was set at 1000 from the shipper and was stalling out. These bikes recommend 1500 +/1 150. Once adjusted to specs, no more problems.

Electrical - The bike meets US dot standards. All parts are actually American (Chinese made). The bulbs are standard brake and signal lights that can be purchased at Walmart. The Headlight is a H4 (Phillips) again purchasable anywhere locally. I felt this was important for repair issues and self maintenance. The bike's electrical is on par with the Japanese V*. All wires are sheathed, shrink wrapped, and connections are good quality. There is no "twist and solder connections" on the bike as in some Chinese products. The spark plug is the same as used on the V*. DPR7EA-9 NGK with the same gap. Rectifier is larger than that on the V*, with a full fuse box, unlike some Chinese bike with one fuse for all. There are several open slots to allow additional mods. The alternator is the same as the V* 240w. However this is at 7000 RPM.

Wheels - are chrome solids, no spokes so the tires are tubeless. The bike has high end Chinese tires on front wheel 100/90/18 and rear 150/80/15. Name brand tires from Dunlop, Metzler are readily available for this size. Another consideration and a plus.

Brakes - Brakes are front and rear disk hydraulic. DOT 4 fluid is used in the master cylinders and the brake lines are run through wire wrap for protection. Brakes work well and are of standard type so can be upgraded in pads or bimbo brakes etc. Brake levers are on the handle bars, no foot pedal for the rear brake. Not sure if I miss it.

Continued at..... http://www.scootdawg.com/page45