Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Motorcycle or Scooter? The best of two worlds? 
    Motorcycle or Scooter?
    The best of two worlds?
    A look at the CFMOTO V3
    by Jacine Smith

For those who want sport or cruiser style automatic motorcycles, then the CFMOTO (Baron) is a good bike to consider. I've had my 2006 for a while now and it has met and exceeded expectations.CFMoto has produced bikes and scooters for the European and Asian Market since 1985 and the scooters have been marketed in the US for several years. In 2005 (summer of 2004) the CF V3 and V5 were created for marketing in Europe and the US.The initial 2005s had remote control alarm systems and starters, but tended to draw off the battery approximately 1 AH. If the bikes weren't ridden within two weeks, the batteries had to be recharged. The 2006s no longer have the remote and starter.I normally ride a Yamaha 650 V* but in city traffic, shifting was becoming more of a nuisance. Plus a heavy cruiser is not at its best in stop and go traffic. So the search for an automatic that could perform as well as one that I could flat foot. I'm 5' 7" and the V3 has a 28 inch seat height unloaded. (26 inch loaded) and works perfectly. I've had 6' 3" friends on it who say it is very comfortable with the forward equipped floor boards.

So how is it?

The V3 styling is European sport, and very eye stopping. It resembles the BMW 1200 sport cruiser styling. It has full fairings that are easily removed for maintenance, held on by good quality chrome plated hex screws. I have added star washers to these to prevent over tightening on the plastic and remove any vibration.

Engine - The engine is a 250 (242) cc water cooled 10:1 single cylinder 4 stroke that puts out 18 horse. The main jet is a 110, which I will probably increase in time to a 112.5. The carburetor is a Kehein 30 mm continuous vacuum draw. The same carbs are used in the Honda helix and reflex, as well as many sports bikes and racers. I had to adjust the idle when received since it was set at 1000 from the shipper and was stalling out. These bikes recommend 1500 +/1 150. Once adjusted to specs, no more problems.

Electrical - The bike meets US dot standards. All parts are actually American (Chinese made). The bulbs are standard brake and signal lights that can be purchased at Walmart. The Headlight is a H4 (Phillips) again purchasable anywhere locally. I felt this was important for repair issues and self maintenance. The bike's electrical is on par with the Japanese V*. All wires are sheathed, shrink wrapped, and connections are good quality. There is no "twist and solder connections" on the bike as in some Chinese products. The spark plug is the same as used on the V*. DPR7EA-9 NGK with the same gap. Rectifier is larger than that on the V*, with a full fuse box, unlike some Chinese bike with one fuse for all. There are several open slots to allow additional mods. The alternator is the same as the V* 240w. However this is at 7000 RPM.

Wheels - are chrome solids, no spokes so the tires are tubeless. The bike has high end Chinese tires on front wheel 100/90/18 and rear 150/80/15. Name brand tires from Dunlop, Metzler are readily available for this size. Another consideration and a plus.

Brakes - Brakes are front and rear disk hydraulic. DOT 4 fluid is used in the master cylinders and the brake lines are run through wire wrap for protection. Brakes work well and are of standard type so can be upgraded in pads or bimbo brakes etc. Brake levers are on the handle bars, no foot pedal for the rear brake. Not sure if I miss it.

Continued at..... http://www.scootdawg.com/page45

Maybe a scooter-cycle? I think the styling will be love it or hate it but I hear it uses the old Honda Helix 250cc scooter engine. It could make a niche market but would need to be improved. Sat on one of these in China and it didn't seem too bad but felt damn heavy for a 250 scooter engine!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob petedeuxwheels's Avatar
    It's a unique looking machine but for some reason has not been a popular choice over here where people tend to go for the less expensive geared Lifan and Jinlun bikes. Those two makes, along with Regal Raptor, have sold thousands in the past few years.

I love scooters and use one most of the year but this isn't really one or the other - the storage space associated with a scooter is lacking, as is a bit of protection from the elements. That, added to the price (it's at the very top end of the Chinese market price-wise) have maybe caused it to flop.

Pete
    Last edited by petedeuxwheels; 05-08-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Pete,

Those are some very good points. It's like an oversize scooter with no convenient storage or rider protection. Someone sure spent a lot of money on the plastics though! Sheesh!

The first few are bound to fail, but it seems like the companies are slowly getting themselves more in line with the market.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob petedeuxwheels's Avatar
    It's amazing how a bit of rider protection and a luggage box, or even a saddle bag type of add-on thing, can suddenly make a scoot more appealing :biggrin:

But it depends where you're selling them I suppose. It rains a lot in Europe and autumn and spring can be pretty cold, so people do think about the
    elements (as well as snazzy looks, which this one really has) when going for a scooter.

Pete

6. #6 CF Moto 
    Scooterin'through Chengdu logan's Avatar
    Hey guys just to let you know - id just test drived the V and have to tell you that s she s feeling good but the product quality is still a lil bit poor.
    Besides that she is a scooter (techn.) with the nice feeling of a small chopper.
    The lil gimmicks on borad like sound system ( ready to plug in usb) sound well if you do not expect too much.
    The Control panel for the sound system is a lil bit poor but better then other producer.
    And CF bought the idea for these bikes ( every chinese dealer knows this )

Greetings from Chengdu

Logan

7. #7 I have one 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    You would not believe what kind of attention you get with a CFMOTO V3 in Germany.
    Fun is that people ask a lot of questions. Others don't ask, but simply laugh.

Everybody tries to fit the bike into one category: big bike? small bike? bike or scooter? (and fails initially). I really liked the Porsche driver that tried to run a race with me when the traffic ligths changed to green. 200+hp vs. 15hp. The interesting part is the psychological reaction to this kind of mistake or the overall categorization problem. Some laugh (good reaction), others get angry.

For hardcore bikers this thing is a provocation because it's an automatic and tries to look like an impressive motorbike. Scooterists can't understand the somewhat impractical concept. Every person with a strong brand orientation dislikes its for its BMW-like look combined with the Chinese origin. And everyone else (including me) thinks it's crazy to drive a vehicle with "some minor" quality problems combined with an total lack of dealer support and spare parts (but I still like my V3).

And that's exactly what this post is about: Were can I order parts? I'm willing to pay for parts and shipping (worldwide). In the last 4 or so years i found different dealers selling cfmoto scooters, but nobody has parts.
    Come on folks, any ideas?

Have fun with your bikes ...
    Last edited by messenger61; 05-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Messenger, I know that CFmoto has a US presence, and a Google search found their site, as well as the US brand 'Qlink' rebadges the CFMoto as their own brand (they don't rebadge the V3 anymore, but still carry the cruiser-looking CFMoto as their own, but should still be able to get parts). If the shipping from the US to Germany isn't too prohibitive, both should be able to supply parts to you.

http://www.qlinkmotor.com/
    http://www.cfmoto-usa.com/

C-Moto Senior
    I have seen the CFMoto bikes at a shanghai bike shop. They were asking 12,000 RMB for the cruiser but I am sure you could get it cheaper. I haven't seen any on the roads anywhere, but CFmoto's Honda Helix clones are everywhere. I would be curious to know how much power the Honda Helix powertrain produces and whether the engine and tranny are mounted on the swingarm.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The power is about 10kW / 15 Hp, that's about 110 km/h or 72 mph max speed (not on hills). The engine and the swingarm are one part (exactly as on the Helix, only a little bit longer)
    It is a nice bike when it works. Be prepared to invest in parts and time if you want to keep it working. Not exactly the everyday commuter bike (then you are better of with a helix).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast