Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Folks,

I've recently been in touch with Galaxy, and I'm hoping to import an XTR250 as a sample to the UK.

I've been in touch with them today and they've qouted me a very reasonable price due to the USD/GBP conversion rate. I'm just waiting to hear from them with a shipping price by ship to the port of Hull, UK useing their shipping agent.

I really hope it comes off.....I know I could just buy the SMC YB250 which is the UK equivalent, but it's the 08 model with the cast hubs, and I really like the Galaxy branding and CNC hubs on the 09 model I'd be getting straight from the factory. I also get to choose colour option and graphic colours.

I'm not really sure what's got me so hooked on these Chinese dirt bikes.......they're worlds apart from my BMW bike, but they just seem so appealing

I'll keep you all posted......the shipping price could be the deal breaker, but I should know that tomorrow. If it's not a goer, then unfortunately I'll have to settle for the Mikilon 250

Cheers

Andy

2. #2 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    Sounds complicated to me, but if it's worth the deal, including shipping and duties, go for it! It is too bad that SMC aren't carrying the '09 models as that would be the easiest route. Keep us updated on the progress.

3. #3 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Sounds complicated to me, but if it's worth the deal, including shipping and duties, go for it! It is too bad that SMC aren't carrying the '09 models as that would be the easiest route. Keep us updated on the progress.
    SMC does have the 09 Models available. Plus you are going to have dealer support if you buy from SMC rather factory direct.

4. #4 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    if the price of shipping proves to be prohibitive but you want the galaxy branding, why not just buy a set of stickers and have them sent over with some 09 wheels? shouldn't be that expensive...

http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_...46ab9c166c.htm

you can also look into ccm which i think sells those bikes in the uk too. way nicer branding than the smc.

http://www.ccmmotorcyclesuk.com/x-tr250/index.php

5. #5 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    Good luck on your quest, I think you will enjoy the XTR.

I did see a large number of SMC's going out the door when a few of us went over to the Galaxy factory. Everything had CNC parts, so I'm pretty sure you would be getting the latest and greatest (+ warranty) if you purchase from them.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for all the replies, and info guys.

I Contacted Galaxy again this morning, I’ve been dealing with a very friendly lady called Lydia Chan. She’s at the Milan Motorcycle show at the minute, so her assistant John is dealing with my request. John’s still waiting to hear from the shipping company for a shipping price.

The price of the XTR direct from the factory is $1400 USD I’m hoping the shipping will be between $100-$150 by ship to the UK, then add on 8% import duty and 17.5% VAT, to clear customs. Finally there will be an £85 charge for an MSVA, which is a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test which is carried out at my local DVLA office to get the bike registered and legal for on road use. If all goes well, I should be able to import it for about £1250 GBP. I know there’ll be no dealer back up with it, but at that price, I’ll take my chances.

I could go down the SMC route, but they are out of stock until February, and new price from SMC is £2500 !! To be honest the whole idea of a China bike is to keep the costs down. To me, an XTR is not worth £2500. I’ve already got an £8500 bike sat in my garage not being used, if I buy another expensive bike with Christmas coming, the Missus will chuck me out and divorce me !!

By the way, I’ve also been in touch with Xingyu Industry&Trade Co.,ltd about importing the Mikilon XY250-SA which is even better value for money. Price direct from factory is $1185 and shipping to the port of Hull, UK only $40 !!!

I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy

7. #7 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    C-Moto Regular
    Some good news......spoke to a shipping agent in the UK today and they've quoted me £225 to get the bike from China to the UK, and they take care of everything, including all custom clearing paperwork I just have to pick it up from their bonded wharehouse at the UK port

It looks like the XTR is a goer !

Ill keep you all informed.

Cheers

Andy

8. #8 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    Sounds good, I wonder why Galaxy only charges 1400 USD to you in the UK but makes us pay 1760 USD for the same bike in China. Taxes and registration are not included in the China price.

40 USD to ship a bike from China to UK is , not gonna happen. If Xingyu can do that, I have a ton of freight business for them.

I know nothing about the UK MSVA, but I've heard some rather unpleasant stories about people trying to get their own Chinese imports approved and registered.

Since you're going factory direct, I would suggest adding the extra wheels so you can swap between dirt and street. It's like getting two bikes for the price of one .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    Andy, it will definitely be interesting to see how this goes and I'm sure others will love to know about the process and if it actually makes sense.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

10. #10 Re: Hopefully Buying A Galaxy XTR250 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post

you can also look into ccm which i think sells those bikes in the uk too. way nicer branding than the smc.

http://www.ccmmotorcyclesuk.com/x-tr250/index.php
    CCM sells a rebranded Shuopu Science bike versus Galaxy. Shuopu is the manufacturer for Puzey/Pitster Pro.

http://shuopuscience.com/newEbiz1/Eb...tml/index.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast