Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    Hi folks

I search for this info but all I get is about changing original lights or going to HID ones.

I just whant to know how many wats more I can add to my moto without melt the batery or the generator or voltage regulator or anything else.

My idea is to put a piece of pipe in my handelbar risers (actualy I use 2 extra stock handelbar clamps that give me another ø space behind the handlebar) and attach a pair of extra headlights there.

Thanks you.

andres357mag
    Qingqi 200 Supermotard. (Genesis) Mods Until now:Rised Handelbar with stock risers and a lot of washers. Almost 10cm. Pillion handles eliminated and enduro model rack puted in place with turn signals just ziptied to it. Abominable Top Box over rack! Kickstarter removed for comfort (now inside TopBox). PCV pipe bolted to subframe holding my tools. Acerbis supermoto handlebar protector. Turnsignals bolted to the Abominable Top Box base.

2. #2 QingQi Alternator Electrical Output 
    Andres,

According to the Brazilian QingQi 200 service manual, the QingQi motorcycle alternator output is:

• 150 watts at 5,000 rpm

Stock headlamp is 35w, LED tail lamp is very little, Gauge/indicator/license-plate lights about 30w.

Personal opinion, you could add maybe two 35w lights (total of 70 watts on the system) without taxing the battery.

If you have too many electrical devices on your moto it will not melt anything but your battery may die and you could find yourself having to push start the bike.

What lights do you want to add to the bike?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    Hi Carl

Actually I don't know yet.

I wish to put led fixtures but here in honduras that is just dreams.

I only could get halogen ones.

My idea is to put a beam patern and a spread patern, the first to improve hi beam and the second to helpme in my return from work. (I live at the mountain and the last 2km are very twisty, "no paved-almost offroad" road so the light has to cover a good angle.

You think that I can wire that directly to the batery with an independient switch or use the handlebar ones?

andres357mag
    Qingqi 200 Supermotard. (Genesis) Mods Until now:Rised Handelbar with stock risers and a lot of washers. Almost 10cm. Pillion handles eliminated and enduro model rack puted in place with turn signals just ziptied to it. Abominable Top Box over rack! Kickstarter removed for comfort (now inside TopBox). PCV pipe bolted to subframe holding my tools. Acerbis supermoto handlebar protector. Turnsignals bolted to the Abominable Top Box base.

4. #4 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    If you're not traveling very fast on the bad road, you could install "fog lamps" as they tend to make a wider, even light spread. For night riding at fast speed, adding good "driving lamps" is better because you get some spread light but also a focused light where you aim them.

In general I would recommend making a separate switch and wiring. More control is better than less and the new switch can be put on/near the handle bar. What kind of lights do you have access too in Honduras?

Also, install some 10 gauge wires to the lights and you will get maximum brightness from your bulbs. If you add too many lights on the stock wiring, you may be stressing the wires and switch. Also, you may not want ALL the lights to be on ALL the time.

CC

5. #5 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    I'll go for the driving lamps

between the batery and the lamps 10 gauge wire. and anything else? fusible?

about tha kind of lights:

I didn't made a really search yet. Theres a lot of tinny stores all together in the downtown of the city. Hell traffic there so not the best place to go for fun. So I was procastinating that.

Now that I know what to look for I will made that "adventure trip"

Thanks for your advice.
    I will put the mods here if my lucky or more questions if Im not so lucky.

6. #6 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    If you buy a driving light kit, it should have some wiring, on/off switch, fuseable link and relay in it. If they are SUPER cheap and do not look very strong, you can replace parts of it with better ones.

Usually, supplied wires are okay. Switches, sometimes are poor quality and not waterproof since usually designed for cars. Some boat switches are very rugged and waterproof.

There are many kinds of fusable links, just be sure the one you use is waterproof! Also, if you can not solder, be sure to get good wire connecting nuts. Wrap them in plenty electrical tape and you should have a reasonably strong connection.

Besides that, you'll just have to get dirty and find out how it goes.

CC

7. #7 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    Getin dirty is what I do best. The results are not but I try!

What about the Relay. Is this a must or not?

Thanks for point about waterproof. I actually ride into waterwalls (you can not call that: "rain") some times but for some weird rason dont think about that.

Soldering is not my first nature but I can do it. I consider myself as a Handyman . Of Course all I get from parents are:
    "If ain't broked, Don't fix it!" but I think all we do this kind of things.

8. #8 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Relays are not strictly necessary but are HIGHLY recommended since you'll be running 70w to both lamps.

A relay is like a heavy duty switched switch. The light switch on your handlebar has a limited amount of contact area. Every time you use the handle bar light switch, the contact which makes the electrical connection deteriorates a little. The more power you have going through the switch, the more it deteriorates until the switch basically fails.

The handlebar switch (or any switch like the High Beam) can be made to activate a relay... then the relay makes the connection for the lights. The advantage is a stronger connection with more electrical current. Replacing a relay is usually MUCH easier and cheaper than replacing a handlebar switch set.

CC

9. #9 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    From what I heard and read (thanks Carl), relays are the way to go. They make the stock lights brighter since the juice is coming straight from the battery. In turn, the battery is recharged by the strator. Like Carl said, the stock wiring just isn't up to the job of adding more to what came with the bike.

This site has nice set ups for many configurations of headlights.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

You can make your own and it would be cheaper but these are so nice that it would be hard to make something of equal quality. I'll be ordering from them once I figure out what direction I'm going to take with my lighting.

10. #10 Re: Adding lights to a QingQi supermoto. How much? 
    Riding in Honduras C.A.
    Wow David

thats are a lot of possiblities!
    Im now trying to guess what all that technical words meens. (Rusty english o'mine)

Well, actually I'm in "office mode" right now so I just open the link you provide. Surely when I switch to "FunTinkeringWithTheBike mode" all will be logical and undertanded by me.

Thanks for that info. (command+D site now)

andres357mag

BTW Today take some time to search for lamps options here. The BIG Hardware Stores and a couple of moto stores has allmost nothig. Big disapointing. But theres zillions of tynny stores near downtown that may have treasueres for me. think about them as a fleamarket.
    Realy caothic, but interesting. "Belcome to Honduras!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast