Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 ChongQing Motorcycle Expo - CIMTE 2008 
    - 7th Annual CIMTE Motorcycle Expo -

- Video Report -

Chongqing, a major industrial city located inland on the Yang Tze River, recently held it’s 7th annual CIMTE (China International Motorcycle Trade Exposition). Given its importance to the motorcycle industry and proximity to my home in Chengdu, I was excited to visit the check out the latest news and an opportunity to tour three of China’s largest manufacturers’ motorcycle plants.

Although not considered a major event as moto-expos go, many important names in the motorcycle industry displayed their goods, including scooters, sport bikes, dual-sports, motor cross and ATV’s. As most motorcycle conventions would have it, many of these fine curvaceous bikes were accompanied by fine curvaceous women! Let’s take a snapshot look at some of the offerings found at this year’s CIMTE.

Shineray

The most exciting of the new products introduced at CIMTE came from Shineray’s new 2008 line-up including the XY250GY and XY200GY-7.

- The new XY2050GY - (Click all portraits for larger images)

One of the more creative displays at the expo, Shineray offered an assembled and fully exploded view of the 250GY to let attendees take a deeper look into the machine. This is a welcome sight and hints at some confidence in their products as well as some thoughtfulness to more progressive marketing and presentation styles.

- XY250GY exploded view -

The XG250GY sports many of the features previously thought missing on Chinese motorcycles and satisfies some of the North American demands such as a more advanced engine with more robust braking and suspension components.

In the braking department, the XG250’s front and rear disc are becoming more and more common on Chinese motorcycles but the front and rear suspension has been race developed and tested through Shineray’s International Motorcross team which now competes in Europe. (????)

- Single piston rear brake with stock braided stainless line -

- Swingarm and shock assembly -

The most exciting news about the bike however takes place at its heart. Rumor has it, Shineray has used a Honda AX-1 (NX250) based engine giving the 250GY a DOHC, four-valve, high-compression, water-cooled power plant with a 6-speed gear box. As a rider of an AX-1 in the past, if the performance of this engine is anything like the original Honda, we should all welcome the ability to cruise comfortably at highway speeds thanks to an added over-drive gear and still be light enough to kick-up some fun after the pavement ends. Hopefully more official details will follow on this soon.

- NX250 owners look closely! -

- Exploded engine view -

If you’re into long distance trail or adventure riding, Shineray also offered up its XY200GY-7 sporting a less complicated 200cc Honda based engine.

- Shineray XY200GY-7 -

To make the long hauls more comfortable, they’ve equipped the GY-7 with a long, broad flat seat, F/R disc brakes, with large built-in front and rear racks complete with saddle bag stand-offs. Last, but certainly not least, is the almost five gallon fuel tank which should keep the bike running longer than most would probably like to be in the saddle.

- Built for the looong haul -

Stay tuned for future posts as we take a short trip to the Shineray factory!

- Shineray factory tour -

While Shineray focuses almost entirely on the off-road market segment, others chose a more street oriented product line-up dealing with scooters and innovative street-standards. One of the most eye-catching (good or bad) in this category was from the Jonway company

Jonway

Jonway offers no off-road models but does manufacture a strong line up of street rides with a clear concentration on what looked and felt like well assembled scooters from the 125 to 250cc range.

- Modern design with decent fit and finish : 250T-2A scooter -

The most interesting of their offerings and clearly BMW stylized was their YY250 which drew some attention from both Chinese and foreigners alike. Much to their credit, the risk they’re taking on the styling is bold but for a low output 250cc, I wondered if the body, plastics and metals wouldn’t prove too much weight for the engine. Low quality plastics and thin panel metal left much to be desired in the tactile department.

- YY250 drawing some looks from South American importers -

- YY250 side view -

- Gauges are trendy looking but small and poorly placed -

Jialing

Continuing in the original styling department, Jialing’s highlight of the show was their venerable JH600 “BMW killer”. In the Chinese motorcycle industry, this designed and built from scratch motorcycle represents the boldest move taken in the Chinese motorcycle market to date. Manufacturing larger engines in China is not currently profitable and requires a great risk of resources.

-JH600 civilian blue -

- JH600 in a variety of colors at the Jialing factory -

The 600cc single cylinder is Bosch fuel injected and comes in a fantastic side-car variant (B designation), which can be bought privately but is mostly for military use.

- Army drab green with sidecar -

- JH600(B) Sidecars in Police and Military outfits -

Except ATV’s, Jialing offers a full line of vehicles from scooter to dual-sports and, as I was told, plans to re-enter the North American market by 2009 under a name other than Viva. Let’s hope to see some improvements from this manufacturing giant!

XGJao

Also offering a well rounded line up is XGJao who brought out their F5 model. While only sporting a 150cc engine the F5 scored some points in the style department; the hard edgy lines, like those found on the Suzuki SV series combined nicely with popular, up to date paint colors and schemes.

- The new F5 150cc sport standard -

Complementing their street line with a slightly larger 200cc engine, we have the XGT-200GY-6. Slightly smaller and rounded plastics fit well with the plastic tank but didn’t offer anything particularly exciting to look at. It bears a striking resemblance to the Yamaha XT250.

- XGT200GY-6 in deep orange and grey color schemes-

- On-board view with uninspiring instrument panel and switches -

Hyosung

Even though the current XG’s aren’t much to look at their neighboring display brought in some products from a little outside China.

Korean manufacturer Hyosung, imported by the YinXiang group, covered all types of motorcycles with more aggressive styling and detailed finishing in almost every way imaginable.

Not living in North America, I’ve never had a chance to see a Hyosung in person and was pleased with their level of quality and attention to detail. While not quite up to the “Big-Four” Japanese standards, were quite close and fit nicely between currently available products from China and Japan.

- Comet - SV650 “Bike-alike” -

- Mirage - Harley V-Rod inspired style -

- HS200GY – Dirt bike -

- Quarterback II – ATV -

- Maxxam 150R - Side by Side -

QingQi

With all this going on inside, outside QingQi motor corpany had a test ride area with a small sample of their most popular bikes. QingQi hired a your “Extreme Sports” stunt rider to demonstrate some of the capabilities of their bikes which included wheelies and doughnut burn-outs.

-Stunt-a-doodle with the 200GY super motard-

- Even the girls got in on the fun! (No ATTGATT here…) -

A note on the ATV line:

JianShe offered an interesting line-up of ATVs from 250 to 400cc’s including one which comes outfitted with emergency fire rescue gear.

- JS250-5 Firefighting ATV -

- 400cc “Mountain Lion” -

Final Thoughts

I would love to have reported an endless stream of new and exciting products at the 2008 CIMTE, but we simply aren’t quite there yet. The Chinese motorcycle industry is in its infancy and currently working hard to figure out how it can best fit into the world market. Sales in developing countries and inside China now account for the lion-share of their business. Rightly so, this imbalance absorbs most of their attention and in order for their products to reach and have larger impact on the shores of North America and Western Europe much work needs to be done on both the manufacturing and consumer side of the table.

The most interesting part of this visit to ChongQing didn’t take place in the convention center but on a one day tour of three major manufacturer’s complexes. Stay tuned for a chance to see a little of what goes into your Chinese motorcycle (or any motorcycle for that matter)!

- MyChinaMoto.com's ChongQing Video Report -

Nice report Carl. Whatever the subject landscapes, engines or booth babes you know how to frame them.

Spent 4 hours last week in GuangZhou bike parts "alibaba" market. Lot of interesting stuff for Chinese bikes of course but also some oem parts for Japanese bikes and biker gears. As usual I forgot the camera, getting old and Alzheimer is at the corner.

http://ditu.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UT...,0.013551&z=17

With an administrator title, I guess you are behind this new forum. Congrats for the launch mate, I wish you the best.

Brice
    Last edited by Brice; 05-26-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Brice man!

Thanks for signing up and the good wishes. I really hope that a full range of people will get something useful from this site. If you have any suggestions on improvements please suggest them in the Suggestions area or send me a PM.

Did you see anything interesting in the GZ bike parts market?

CC

Bought a carbon like muffler (350RMB), a 520 chain/sprockets kit (260RMB), an air filter (10RMB) all for the XJR.

Seen some import tires (Metzeler, Dunlop, Michelin, ...) Dual sport, dirt or road. Didn't ask for the price.

Also there are few shops selling complete bikes, mostly kid or pit bikes, quads. A mini sport bike with a 70cc engine is 600RMB first price. Nice to put in your living room.

It is not a gigantic market, no more than 150/200 small shops all very specialized but when you come from a city where bikes are banned it is wonderland.

There were few other foreigners, African and Mid Eastern guys. They were looking for parts/bike to export. Guangzhou is a huge trading place for these countries.

The parts exporting business might be bigger news (and carry more profit) than new complete bikes.

Did you have a chance to attend the Canton motorcycle show in GuangZhou that just ended this week?

CC

I miss this one. I'm working on a big web/software migration so I can't quit my computer more than few hours. 1 week ago, I even missed a SBK race which was on the track 2 kms from my home.

Has Shineray released the XY250GY? We all know, thanks to Supsrignet, that the GY-7 has been released, at least in China, but has the XY? Just wondering

All the XY bikes are Shinerays. XY is the acronym for Shineray in Chinese which is XinYuan. The XY250GY is called the X2 from the factory and will be released in this coming June.

I know from Chinariders that the biggest complaint has been no parts support. The situation does seem to be improving, and these bikes seem to be worth more parted than whole (SamM, you are a living example of this )

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    The parts exporting business might be bigger news (and carry more profit) than new complete bikes.

CC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast