Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by john in leeds View Post
    Hi Nick

any progress on chasing down these bikes yet?
    No.......John, the price is a bit steep for me I left it there, if I found myself in the neighborhood I'd ask for a tour. Also I'm not convinced that that big a bike is best suited to the conditions in China. I did a trip on a CB1000 and it would have been more enjoyable on a 250-500cc bike.

I think I will contact the factory that make the 400cc dual purpose bike, XingYue.. they aren't too far away from me, couple hours drive.....I'm interested to see if it is registrable in China, if not I saw a nice 250cc Suzuki powered bike in Nanchang that would do the business.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob john in leeds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
    No.......John, the price is a bit steep for me I left it there, if I found myself in the neighborhood I'd ask for a tour. Also I'm not convinced that that big a bike is best suited to the conditions in China. I did a trip on a CB1000 and it would have been more enjoyable on a 250-500cc bike.
    That makes very good sense Nick. The price as quoted in China is over the top unless the product is world class. The equivalent KTM can be had for little more in UK so that pricing will not work with dealers margin and import duties etc. :blink:

I also agree about the CB1000 v 250-500 bike for your local tour, the only thing to remember about the Louija/Highland is that the weight is nearly 250 - 500cc equivalent with the benefit of beautiful long travel suspension giving a comfy ride in all conditions. :thumbup: Unless some serious refinement is done with the engine however natural speeds would likely be more that local conditions allow. :thumbdown:

The reason I hark on is that I have tried to contact a Mr. James on email at Louija and have had no reply. If the bike is in production we should know about it and hopefully get some idea of the genuine specification and road test performance. From the enthusiasts perspective this bike has so much going for it, it would be great to know if this time they have got it right.

cheers

John

I don't think it is produced in China. It is more or less a ckd job - assambled in China. Hince, the high price tag.:yawn:

Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    I don't think it is produced in China. It is more or less a ckd job - assambled in China. Hince, the high price tag.:yawn:

Franki, production has ended in Sweden see http://www.highland.se/pages.asp?pageID=23

and total manufacture is supposed to have been transfered to Louija.

I wonder if the models that are being toted to Nick are old Sweden models or if production at Louija has really started. I have had no reply from both Highland in Sweden or Louija in China to my enquiries. If anyone could get some hard information both myself and other fans would be very greatful :wink:

John

I was told the high price was due to the cost of imported components.

Brembo brakes, Olin shocks.......etc.

I'm sure they also want to keep a world pricing program to discourage Grey imports to countries they have existing presence in and protect any dealer network they have in place..........that and recouping investment euros.

Material costs are the same the world over, they would only be saving money on factory floor space, assembly labor and day to day running costs. Most money saving would be found on developing new products in China and developing new suppliers............hard to do for top of the line components, harder for a low volume mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in PRC. View Post
    I was told the high price was due to the cost of imported components.

Brembo brakes, Olin shocks.......etc.

I'm sure they also want to keep a world pricing program to discourage Grey imports to countries they have existing presence in and protect any dealer network they have in place..........that and recouping investment euros.

Material costs are the same the world over, they would only be saving money on factory floor space, assembly labor and day to day running costs. Most money saving would be found on developing new products in China and developing new suppliers............hard to do for top of the line components, harder for a low volume mfg.
    Nick, that starts to make sense. I was concerned that without top end components it would only be half the bike compared to the original. Even so there does need to be a major improvement to both the engine sophistication and the overall style if this bike is to compete at the price point quoted.

I do know that if they did get this right it will be very successful worldwide.

thanks for the post :thumbup1:

John

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That bike sure is a beaut! If they were about $8500 - $9500, I think they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough.
    Nuff said!

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!

8. #28 Enough grunt? 
    Hope this link post ok. It just shows this bike has enough power to lift the front without pinging the clutch in first. Notice the way it carries a low wheelie without dropping. A good demo of real torque I think.

http://www.weetwood.force9.co.uk/bus3.avi

I don't think this bike will do to well in the international market.I wonder if they can wait that long until there brand is accepted.

Thats just to much money for a bike that has not been tested for a long time especially in competition.

I'm seeing a great deal of reluctance for people to buy a trials bike designed in Spain and with Chinese manufactured parts and European suspension) at 1/3 cheaper price of the other brands.The trials community are doubting Chinese Quality and say they will wait a few years to see how it goes before they think about buying one.

On the other hand I hope the Chinese pull down the Marzocchi's and Ohlins and copy them.

Granted it's a 950 and looks like it has good performance...it's still hard to get over the outrageous price tag.

You would think they should be able to offer it for less. Where does the cost come from?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast