Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #12 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Interesting thread.

I have come across what I term bike snobbery (only word I can think of) - the looking down on me because I am riding a Chinese 125 by those on fancy Japanese stuff. I live in North Wales UK, not China. But, the guys involved really were d*ck head as**ole types. They occur globally. I mean, if it had been a car or clothing I would have got the same treatment for driving a Kia, rickshaw or not wearing Gucci.

So whatever a thing is and wherever it is, an as**ole is an as**ole is an as**ole.

If I start getting sh*t (rare), I ask how much of their machine was made in China and such a shame they still paid Euro-Japanese prices for it. Never failed to shut em up.

Having said that, I have also had much positive interest from folk looking at my humble 599 eBay bike-in-a-box Chinese machine. Even admiration. Bikers and non-bikers alike.

When I was getting petrol at my local hick garage, a group of five guys with seriously expensive branded kit (bikes and clothing) were waiting for the RAC man as one of them with a new Harley had broken down. They all gave my machine the once over. Three sat on it and I let one have a ride. It was the first Chinese bike they had actually seen and all surprisingly said they were impressed. So much so, one of them (on a Triumph Rocket III no less) went and bought one off eBay for his daughter the next day!

Dean Smitheman, the sales executive at Stratstone Harley-Davidson in Birmingham UK, told me he had bought two Chinese bikes for his kids. Thought they were amazing for the money. No snob-job there.

Yet, there is something special about a Harley and that ever sooooo coool looking CJ750.

The CJ and Harley appeal to something almost inwardly primeval. I know there are many other bikes that ride and handle better and more suited to indigenous conditions. But, they fail to stir that primitive something or other.

I can understand the clannishness of the owners of these machines. Indeed, it is a clan I intend to belong as soon as I bin my L-plates next year (and make room in the workshop). Got to get all the Marques branded clothing as well of course. Gives a greater sense of belonging to the clan and with the clansfolk.

I would fulfil both the two basic types of attitudes (put by CC) when it comes to this topic...

1) The bike makes the man -The CJ and Harley would satisfy something deep within and make me feel gooooood, and
    2) The man makes the bike - I will stuff masses of extra chrome and shinny bits all over them. Flash?. Welleryeh.

Now, that would not mean I will be transformed into an as**ole type and start looking down on or belittle bikers with lesser machines. But I would not invite them to my CJ/Harley only ride outs. Why is that? It is a Clan. If you want to join the Clan get a CJ/Harley!

PS. I will still be keeping my Chinese 125.
    Last edited by davidqc; 12-03-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: font size
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot