Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Interesting thread.

I have come across what I term bike ‘snobbery’ (only word I can think of) - the looking down on me because I am riding a Chinese 125 by those on fancy Japanese stuff. I live in North Wales UK, not China. But, the guy’s involved really were d*ck head as**ole types. They occur globally. I mean, if it had been a car or clothing I would have got the same treatment for driving a Kia, rickshaw or not wearing Gucci.

So whatever a thing is and wherever it is, an as**ole is an as**ole is an as**ole.

If I start getting sh*t (rare), I ask how much of their machine was made in China and such a shame they still paid Euro-Japanese prices for it. Never failed to shut ‘em up.

Having said that, I have also had much positive interest from folk looking at my humble £599 eBay bike-in-a-box Chinese machine. Even admiration. Bikers and non-bikers alike.

When I was getting petrol at my local hick garage, a group of five guys with seriously expensive branded kit (bikes and clothing) were waiting for the RAC man as one of them with a new Harley had broken down. They all gave my machine the once over. Three sat on it and I let one have a ride. It was the first Chinese bike they had actually seen and all surprisingly said they were impressed. So much so, one of them (on a Triumph Rocket III no less) went and bought one off eBay for his daughter the next day!

Dean Smitheman, the sales executive at Stratstone Harley-Davidson in Birmingham UK, told me he had bought two Chinese bikes for his kids. Thought they were amazing for the money. No ‘snob-job’ there.

Yet, there is something ‘special’ about a Harley and that ever sooooo coool looking CJ750.

The CJ and Harley appeal to something almost inwardly primeval. I know there are many other bikes that ride and handle better and more suited to indigenous conditions. But, they fail to stir that primitive something or other.

I can understand the clannishness of the owners of these machines. Indeed, it is a clan I intend to belong as soon as I bin my L-plates next year (and make room in the workshop). Got to get all the Marque’s branded clothing as well of course. Gives a greater sense of belonging to the clan and with the clansfolk.

I would fulfil both the two basic types of attitudes (put by CC) when it comes to this topic...

1) The bike makes the man -The CJ and Harley would satisfy something deep within and make me feel gooooood, and
    2) The man makes the bike - I will stuff masses of extra chrome and shinny bits all over them. Flash?. Well…er…yeh.

Now, that would not mean I will be transformed into an as**ole type and start looking down on or belittle bikers with ‘lesser’ machines. But I would not invite them to my CJ/Harley only ride outs. Why is that? It is a Clan. If you want to join the Clan get a CJ/Harley!

PS. I will still be keeping my Chinese 125.
    Last edited by davidqc; 12-03-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: font size
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

2. #12 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    North Wales is beautiful on a dry summers day. Not sure where you live, but knowing the wet weather conditions, maybe dirty rural roads, with lots of twisty bends, having been to Wales many times, my 'scientific' method would suggest that you buy a Triumph Street Triple, BMW G650, Kawasaki ER-6, Ducati 696 Monster or Honda CB600F Hornet.

Nothing really wrong with Harleys so long as you try to keep to the usable, less raked out, lighter models, that can take some lean with out grinding bits too much, that would be more scientific.

Just never become a snob!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

3. #13 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    North Wales is beautiful on a dry summers day....

June, July, August 2007, 2008, 2009...

...would suggest that you buy a Triumph Street Triple, BMW G650, Kawasaki ER-6, Ducati 696 Monster or Honda CB600F Hornet....

Nothing really wrong with Harleys so long as you try to keep to the usable, less raked out, lighter models, that can take some lean with out grinding bits too much, that would be more scientific

...puurrrfect...

Just never become a snob!
    ...I say...were you muttering something or other old boy...or was it the wind...
    Last edited by davidqc; 12-04-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: corrections, artisitic realignment, weather, depression and hives

4. #14 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    As I am back in Australia now for a couple of months it is interesting to notice the difference between the attitudes and bikes between countries.

On the whole motorcycles are used for transport and business 95% of the time in Xinjiang there are a few who use them for sport.

Most of the time most Chinese don't care what motorcycle they have so long as it does the job.

I notice car ownership in Chinese is total snobbery.Only a European car will do up in Xinjiang a Japanese car is a very distant second and as for Chinese car well.Don't even tell anyone if you own a QQ.

I remember riding the QingQi 200 the dealer was trying to sell me and he talked me into taking it for a test ride thinking that if I rode it I would be hooked.I rode it and man my mini bike from the 70's had more power.

I said no thanks.

I come back to Australia and my mate has bought a black naked hayabusa more upright riding position.200 HP.Beautiful looking bike.

I took it for a ride that thing scared the s*** out me and that was on the mild mapping.I think there would be very few riders who go anywhere near using that bike to anywhere near it's potential but yet the motorcycle manufactures continue to make more bikes with even more power.

For me it is a love of motorcycling and when I get a new bike I can sit and look at it for hours admiring it like a beautiful women.

Unfortunately up until lately all the Chinese motorcycles just don't do it for me so I guess I am a motorcycle snob.

5. #15 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    ...when I get a new bike I can sit and look at it for hours admiring it like a beautiful women.
    Ditto.

Mind you, some guys can go a tad too far...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    ...up until lately all the Chinese motorcycles just don't do it for me so I guess I am a motorcycle snob.
    If a bike (or a woman) fails to give you the 'hots', that certainly does not make you a snob.

Racer style bikes, whoever makes them, just don't do it for me. Nor Japanese cars for that matter. I admire the engineering in both and I certainly don't look down on those folk that have them. It's just that they fail to stir what need to be stirred! Can't help that, right.

Interesting you post that EU cars are the 'cool' in Chinaland. Chinese bikes are becoming the new 'cool' in GB. I'm told the 'cult' is also growing in mainland Europe. European Union = Soviet Union Mk2 (I kid you not) and China is red, so it's commie bikes for commie countries. Natch.
    Last edited by davidqc; 12-05-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

6. #16 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    C-Moto Senior
    No worries, I didn't think you were talking about ME!
    I also have 3 two-wheeled bikes besides my 2 sidecar rigs. Love them all (well maybe except the Yamaha dirt bike). Reminds me of a friend who was bicycling across the U.S. he rode into a Biker Bar to escape a tornado, and a local chapter of the Hells Angels ( or similar biker club) was there. Silence fell uypon the bar. Then one of the bikers yelled out, "they're cool, they're on two wheels" and everything turned friendly.
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

Jimbo, I was out of line with that comment. Sorry. Removed.[/QUOTE]

7. #17 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar View Post
    No worries, I didn't think you were talking about ME!
    Phew!...well I wasn't anyways. However, with stuff this cooool, I could understand it....

That rear sear. I mean, sexual or what. Man, I could get me a whole load a chicks with that. Gladly, these magnificent beasts (bikes not chicks, right) are available in the UK thro' MPC motorcycles. Solo or combo.

Now, when I was in Ibiza for a bit a few years ago there was a German WWII military veteran motorcycle rally where there were combo's with the machine gun on the side car. Just what I need. Can you get replicas of the machine guns ?
    Last edited by davidqc; 12-10-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

8. #18 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Why get a replica? Buy one in the States and get the fully functioning unit on there!

CC

Quote Originally Posted by davidqc View Post
    Now, when I was in Ibiza for a bit a few years ago there was a German WWII military veteran motorcycle rally where there were combo's with the machine gun on the side car. Just what I need. Can you get replicas of the machine guns ?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

9. #19 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well, if you want to see some cool(er) bikes go to www.bmwsidecar.com (shameless self promotion it is)
    Regds,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by davidqc View Post
    Phew!...well I wasn't anyways. However, with stuff this cooool, I could understand it....

That rear sear. I mean, sexual or what. Man, I could get me a whole load a chicks with that. Gladly, these magnificent beasts (bikes not chicks, right) are available in the UK thro' MPC motorcycles. Solo or combo.

10. #20 Re: Two-tier foreign riders in China. 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Bikers should be family, regardless of what they ride. Sounds like someone's been pulling your chain .

When motorcycling gets political, I go motorcycling . Quite often with English teachers . I 've met a lot of the people on MCM, some "Haves" and some "Have Nots", they all seem like good folk to me.

Doesn't matter what the others think, enjoy your ride.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    +1 on that!

I belong to two BMW clubs here in Colorado, but I also own a couple of Yamaha's and a Ural. There are a few guys in the Beemer gang that turn their nose up at me when I show up for a ride and I'm not astride one of my BMW's.

I am smugly superior though as I know I am twice the rider that those few snobs are.

I don't care if you're riding a moped, if you're on it for fun, travel, and adventure, then you're one of the club. Here's a perfect example:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12