Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Irishman wants to ride through China solo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi All,

I came across your site through HUMM. I hope that you might be able to clarify some issues that I have. From what I can see most of you are living in China and so have a different set of problem to me.

I am in Ireland and intend to travel to Syria in April on my own bike. From there I want to get to Nepal through Russia and China. Most information indicates that I cannot travel solo -especially through Tibet and have to have an official guide. The embassy here in Ireland didn't seem to understand that I wanted to travel overland on my own bike and refered me to a China Travel company. Is this the only way to experience Western China?

I would like to spend some time in China experiencing the culture and people and am wondering if it is possible to pick up work -teaching English for example when in China. I suspect that this would have to be arranged in advance and the appropriate documents secured. Any suggestions on how one finds out about jobs and the application process?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Happy Riding!
    Niall

2. #2 Re: Irishman wants to ride through China solo 
    Niall,

Well tis the season for Trans-continental journeys! We've got a couple other fellas right now planning to do similar trips.

I suggest scouring MCM and looking to see if your questions have already been answered. We are but a small band of merry men and can only answer the same question so many times!

You've got a great journey planned and it's extremely complicated. If you decide to contact the Chinese travel agency (which may not be a good idea) don't expect much of a reply besides "It is impossible" or something like that.

In short, chances of getting your bike into China are almost none unless you're insanely rich. This is going to sound totally absurd but it may actually be easier to get to Nepal through Pakistan and then into India.

Teaching in China is another question all together and there was once a day when you could very easily travel to China, find a nice spot and get a job. Those days are, for the most part, now gone. Whenever you change Visa types in China they require you leave the country. That said, it's not impossible... just not easy.

Although there are many other sites, a good place to start searching for the jobs is http://www.abroadchina.org/

Also don't get suckered by those "Receive TESL Training and we'll place you at a job in China" scams. If you've got some credentials and knock on enough doors, you should be able to find something that won't beat you up too badly.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Irishman wants to ride through China solo 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Carl, I appreciate this info. I shall search MCM more deeply and see if I can find out more.

regading the teaching stuff, I had a quick look at your link and think that I might be spending some time on that site.

Thanks a lot, if I do make it through to you part of the world, I'll buy you a beer!

Cheers
    Niall

4. #4 Re: Irishman wants to ride through China solo 
    Niall,

Well I'm in the US right now, but if you buy any other MCM member a beer while you're there, I'd welcome that too!

Good luck on your searching. Living and riding in China was probably the single most life changing period of history for me... except learning how to ride of course.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com