Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 GingerAdam's TransAsia Adventure!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post

2. Tokyokid made it across the border into Kazakhstan 2008, apparently because the bike owner was with him.

4. Two Swiss will leave to Kyrgyzstan in May on their Chinese registered bikes.

5. A German guy will leave to Vlad late June on his

From what I know, it seems you must be the owner of the bike or have a written approval from the owner to leave China and some sort of export permission.

Hey Guys, I`m backpacking in Chengdu, I`m planning to buy a YBR 125 or a Quin Qi 200 and ride it across to Kashgar then exit hopefully to Pakistan or if not wherever will let me exit... Has anyone gone this way, and do you know if the above people made it? I'll be on tourist visas so going no license, but thinking to buy a bike with plates if possible, I want to ride it back to the UK. My buget for the bike including all initial equipment is about 1600US (the max I can walk away from if it all goes wrong).

If I can get the paperwork sorted I will want to leave in about a week... Crazy?? Any tips very much appreciated!

2. #2 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I can confirm that to Kazachstan it was possible in 2008 with licence & plates on the bike. They dont really have a procedure, just give you a custom paper that you take the bike out. Another german did it as us this year at the same border.
    Pakistan i dont know, but i thought they require a carnet, but thats not available for chinese plates.
    Riding the horse to death

http://tuo-ma-si.blogspot.com

3. #3 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    The two Swiss folks made it out into Kyrgyzstan sometime end of May 2009. They left via Torugart, not without problems and they were not allowed to ride but had to truck the bikes across.

http://www.gglobal.org/gg/home/home.php
    Andy

4. #4 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyokid View Post
    ... Pakistan i dont know, but i thought they require a carnet, but thats not available for chinese plates.
    You'll need a carnet for Pakistan, I am sure.

If you own a China plated bike as a foreigner, you can get a carnet - not easy but possible.
    Andy

5. #5 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    Andy, long time no chat,

Do you need to be a resident or can any foreigner get a carnet?

Which government department is in charge of issuing Chinese carnets?
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #6 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Andy, long time no chat,

Do you need to be a resident or can any foreigner get a carnet?

Which government department is in charge of issuing Chinese carnets?
    You (we foreigners) can't do that in China, at least not to my knowledge.
    Theoretically it is the CAA (China Automobile Association) to issue CdPs, but since China never signed the 1968 Vienna treaty, I doubt they would.

You can do that in your home country with an automobile club. I think it's the RCA in the UK. Some automobile clubs refuse to issue a CdP for a vehicle not registered in their country, some need to be convinced before they do it (I was very convincing obviously )
    Andy

7. #7 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    You'll need a carnet for Pakistan, I am sure.

If you own a China plated bike as a foreigner, you can get a carnet - not easy but possible.
    Thanks guys, that's really useful information. I'll find out more about the carnet, and I'm checking further routes though to Europe. If it messes up then Kyrgyzstan sounds cool anyway. CrazyCarl, do you still live in Chengdu? Do you know some bike shops here?!

Also does anyone know which agency will issue carnets, or could the bike shop sort it out? (crossed post - answerd above for me in the UK) I guess it will be useful to have for a lot of countries, I have a friend who speaks mandarin. As for Kyrgyzstan, I take it from the Swiss blog that the chinese side is more difficult - but I guess that depends on what is going on in the area at the time... I might be going there after Iran to get north to Russia. We shall see...

I think I'm veering towards the Yamaha 125 YBR G for cheapness, reliability and availability of parts in other countries. I don't think I want to buy the cheapest Chinese bikes as I guess parts will be a big problem outside China and I don't think they'll like the roads. Correct? I'm staying with a friend in Chengdu University in Shiling village (there seems to be a big yamaha factory out here by the way, not sure if they make bikes though!!)

Thanks again guys for your help!
    Last edited by GingerAdam; 10-09-2009 at 02:23 AM.

8. #8 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I took the YBR125 euro version, last all the way 26.500km in 4 month with 2 ppl up.
    Parts in Russia and Europe no problem. They have Yamaha shops (just much more expensive than in China) Kazachstan has almost no motorbikes, so better take a bottle of oil with you for that part of the trip. Depending on how far you will drive, take a set of clutchplates and a new chain kit. Mine was completle fucked after that long way. Clutch needed to be changed after 19.000km but we where 2 up so a little to much for that bike. Original tires on the bike are not so good, backtire last only 9000km but front was ok all the way.

9. #9 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks tokyokid, I checked your blog but it appears someone round here doesn't want me to see it. I tried a proxy but it didn't work. Do you have a copy you could email to adam_steinitz then it's hotmail dot com?

If Chinese shops are cheaper I might change the clutch and rear tyre in Kashgar to avoid problems. (Probably while I'm waiting for clearance! ) If it's an easy job I can do it. Or buy them there to keep light through China and change them later... I'll be 1 up and traveling as light as I can, probably 30kg pack on the bike, I weigh about 80kg. I was wondering about taking a 20l fuel container too. Finally think I've located the bike market in Chengdu so I'm going down today.

By the way I can ride motorbikes but I'm pretty new to it (Only done it while travelling) As for safety gear, I'll get a a mirror helmet for sure as I have Ginger hair, but what about bike trousers/suit - I take it they'll be very useful if I low side?

10. #10 Re: leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Regular
    the blog dont work in china and anyway has not much info, i prefer to travel instead of writing :)

extra fuel was almost not nessesary, just take one or two cola bottles in case you have to go really far. the tank of the ybr125 can hold about 13 liter

There are 2 bike markets, one in the north and one in the direction of the airport. The one in the south/west has a Yamaha store and they have the new YBR125 version with euro 3 emission standart, so you can probably register the bike in the UK after your done.

new version with euro 3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast