Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: China: E-Bikers will need driving license 
    you turn on the hazard flash not the lights. It saves electricity and therefore gasoline
    Does not turning on lights save gasoline? The Chinese drivers in my area seem adamant that they are saving fuel as they mostly hate turning on their lights until it is totally dark, or never bother if there are street lamps. My view from my limited mechanical knowledge is that any running engine will turn the alternator, and therefore charge the battery, which is where the lights draw their power from, so having lights off or on will not save any fuel at all.

When you reach a speed of 60 kph you must have shifted into the fifth gear.
    hahahaha. The problem with cars is that nearly everyone who drives them believes deeply that they are possibly the best driver ever, or at least pretty good. The Chinese are no exception to this rule, and as you can see from this 'rule' someone clearly believes their BS idea is exactly correct and has incorporated it into Chinese law. They desperately need to do 'fact finding' trips in Finland, Sweden, Germany or the UK, to understand safe driving practices, and safe high density traffic management, but alas they probably feel that they are already pretty damn good drivers already!
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

2. #32 Re: China: E-Bikers will need driving license 
    I think it also reflects the different cultural attitudes towards "process". They may think that spelling things out in certain ways will maximize (read as "short-cut") the teaching effort and still be able to check off their job responsibility boxes.

I would like to see the US MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) folks run some sample courses in China and see if it could do some good... I'm sure it could. It would be totally backwards from the Chinese style of no motorcycle training at all. You get lots of hands-on time as well as a little bit of classroom exercises where experienced instructors get to run through the material and add some of their own personal experiences to the lessons as well. In the end, even the newbiest of newb riders feels like they've accomplished something and shared a good experience with fellow riders. Even if they didn't pass, they probably had fun and learned a lot about themselves and motorcycling.

Well, hope springs eternal I guess.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234