Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: The bird trip

1. #1 The bird trip 
    I'm hosting this bird named Pooey from ADV rider, thought you guys and gals might enjoy a little ride report since most of you are sitting in snow.

Pooey and I spent the week plotting routes and checking the weather. It's winter, but southern China usually stays mild with temps around 16ºC (60ºF). It seems most of the other China riders have already gone into hibernation, so we headed out solo. The goal was to hit 5 provinces over a long three day weekend. Guangdong, Guangxi, Hunan, Jiangxi and Fujian. According to "The Google", it should be 1,781 km (about 43 hours) of riding. I figured 3 days, 600k a pop and we should be back home. Being winter and all, the days are short, and there's only about 11.5 hours of daylight. Night riding is a big no-no here, so we've got to make every minute of sunshine count.

Here is the route we took. You can download a kml file here.

Day 1:

We're on the road at 7:00 and make good time out of the pollution pit, I was pushing hard to beat the morning traffic and we cleared the worst of it by 8:30. The sun was finally breaking through so we stopped to warm up little.

A WeeStrom milestone... 30,000 kilometers and still running great, also noticed we covered 373 kilometers in just over 4 hours this morning. Pretty damn good time for China roads.

Around lunchtime we finally reached the Guangdong/Guangxi border. I guess it's the border... I'm illiterate when it comes to reading Chinese.

Continuing on through Guangxi towards Hunan on some nice roads. It was one of those perfect days, you know the kind.

We moved in and out of Guangdong and Hunan for the rest of the afternoon and finally hit the town of PingShi just before nightfall. After 738 kilometers, we were both exhausted. A bowl of noodles and couple beers, we were snoozing by 9:00.

Day 2:

There's no heat in most of the buildings here and I can see my breath as I wake up early and prepare coffee. It feels much colder than yesterday and the moon is still shining as we hit the road before 7:00.

The temp is down to 3.9ºC (39ºF), not extreme for many of you, but pretty much the coldest I've ever ridden in Guangdong.

The mist slowly burns away as the sun comes up.

Crossing the border with Hunan again and just around this corner, the road turned to complete crap. This morning it's an icy mix of gray sludge and I'm fishtailing all over at even the lowest speeds.

I come out of this long corner going sideways and somehow manage to get it going straight. Whew, that was close... woops.... thud. Hmmm... I'm still standing, but bike fall down go boom.

I wrestled the Wee into position and got it back up, everything's OK, SW-Motech crashbars did their job. Double check, myself, Pooey and the bike, we're all good to go again. Phew, that could have sucked.

The scenery lifted our spirits and we happily motored on towards Jiangxi province. We spent the rest of the morning rolling through the mist.

and warming up in pockets of sunshine.

By late afternoon we had crossed Jiangxi and entered Fujian. We still had a long way to go to reach our destination for the evening so we only made one more stop for the day.

We managed to reach Wuping just as it got dark and I found the only hotel in town. Pretty beat up and overpriced, but at least they had safe parking for the bike. Another great day and 617 kilometers covered.

Day 3:

With less than 500 kilometers to go, we headed out on the final leg home. The morning was cold, but rewarded us with this great sunrise.

It's appears to be orange season and the trees are packed. Pooey and I stopped for a sample and a few pics.

We were back in Guangdong, making great time, and enjoying another perfect day of winter riding.

As we started to get closer to home, I figured we had a little extra time to explore. We headed off the map and GPS for a new road that I thought might exist. Started out nice enough with 25 kilometers of concrete.

Then it turned to dirt.

Got steep.

Followed by rocky.

And ended.

Oh well, them's the breaks, we turned around and backtracked out. Some day it will go all the way through, and I'll be back to try again. That's the fun part about China, so many new roads always popping up.

We finally made it home around 5:00, just in time for a cold beer. A bit tired, but really happy with our accomplishment, we had covered over 1800 kilometers and manged to see all 5 provinces. It's great having Pooey along for the ride.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #2 Re: The bird trip 
    Top stuff

Nice to see a fresh ride report with nice scenery and the certainty that there are more roads out there waiting to be conquered
    Thanks for the pics - mouth watering indeed.
    Cheers to the bird - what is it's next destination?

We are not directly sitting in the snow in BJ, but the white is not too far away. It snowed three times in the first two weeks of November, more than in three previous years together. It has been pretty chilly during that period, but from mid Nov until now temperatures are not too low.

Riding is pretty much over for this season as days are getting too short and morning temperatures to f..... low - we go skiing instead

Got a new riding suit?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

Andy

3. #3 Re: The bird trip 
    I second the question on the riding suit! Hey you eat any of those oranges behind you in the picture?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: The bird trip 
    ChinaV,

Nice ride! I'm definitely going to have to look you up the next time I'm out your way. Our apartment is in PanYu. by the looks of your map you're over in DongGuan, which isn't too far. I might be out again as soon as late Summer 2010, but it's not certain yet.

What kind of work are you doing over there?

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

5. #5 Re: The bird trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    by the looks of your map you're over in DongGuan, which isn't too far. I might be out again as soon as late Summer 2010, but it's not certain yet.

What kind of work are you doing over there?.
    You will only be an hour away, so no excuses for not stopping by

Some would say my job is riding motorcycles . Most of what I do is die casting and plastic injection for automotive and the HVAC industry, also make some cable systems for the medical field. I originally worked in the motorcycle industry many moons ago, seems like I'm drifting back that way.

The wife and I found these suits in Guangzhou for 1500 RMB each. The brand is Akito, decent quality and protection for the price...... and it makes us look cute because they match

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: The bird trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Cheers to the bird - what is it's next destination?
    I was hoping someone else in China would take him around. Franki said we might be able to arrange a little Hong Kong ride, after that, I'm not really sure where he supposed to go. He came with a journal from all his travels, this bird has seen some very interesting people and places.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: The bird trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I was hoping someone else in China would take him around ...
    What is his schedule, I mean the bird's
    I have something in mind ...
    Andy