Mr. George Jiao of QingQi Motors works in their International Marketing Department and was nice enough to take a full day out of his very busy schedule to give my wife and I a personally guided tour around their engine factory, Rn’D department and assembly line.

The production of parts and assembly quality control are two major concerns for people looking into buying a China-Moto. I hope this post demystifies the process and gives you a visual understanding of how your parts get manufactured, checked and assembled before they reach your door. Naturally not all factories use identical machines and work flows but this article will give you a good general outline of how your China-Moto comes to be!

We started off in the Engine parts manufacturing plant where QingQi OEM's engine and engine parts for a few international companies including Mercury Marine Engines and Peugot.

- One of the many lines of CNC machines –

- Engine head fresh off the CNC -

- Engine Case fresh off the CNC -

As you can see, the drilling and CNC process leaves huge quantities of metal shavings which are collected and recycled.

- Excess materials bin -

When the parts come out of the CNC’s they still need some work, like holes drilled and burrs removed. Parts are then passed to workers on drill presses who finish the piece.

- The QingQi folks hard at work -

Parts finally get checked for quality and manufacturing tolerances.

- Mr. Jiao showing us the tools workers use to check diameter consistency of drilled holes-

- Mercury engine visual inspection -

- Case component visual Inspection -

Defective parts are flagged by a little yellow card for appropriate action and this is similar to that we’ll see in the bike assembly line later.

- Parts that pass are stacked and wait for their turn on the assembly line -

Engine Assembly and Testing Line

When they hit the line, the workers assemble all the pieces methodically and carefully. Everyone took their job quite seriously. I didn't see anyone fooling around, playing card games in the corner or scratching their armpits as units went by.

When the units are completed, they go for a ride on what looks like an inverted roller coaster for engines...man I wish I had one of these in my house!

They are then pulled into inspection bays and tested for power production, electrical output and a host of other checks.

- Me hard at work but loving life in one of the many engine testing bays -

- A finished product: FX200 engine - Confirmed DR200 compatibility -

- Back in Black -

- Stacked engines waiting to be sent to the assembly line -

Then when they're all good to go, Mr. Motor gets stacked up and awaits transport to the assembly line where he'll meet Mr. Friendly Frame and Princess Plastics. After having been to several other factories, I can say my visit there bolstered my confidence in their product and look forward to testing their metal this May on some bad roads at high altitude. From the engine side of things I think QingQi has one of the best deals going in the business since they have use of Suzuki's tried and true small engine technology.