Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    parts of the carburetor that let petrol and air through.Main jet pilot jet needle etc
    thx a lot bro.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by posadajulian View Post
    Ehem, forgive me for my ignorance, but i havent been able to translate "jetting" could you try explaining it, so i can figure out what that means in my labguage
    En España los "jets" los llamamos "Chiclés" o "surtidores" o "calibres". Son los orificios calibrados que dosifican el combustible en carburadores. Lo que quieren decir con "Jetting" es que tratan de mejorar las prestaciones experimentando cambiando el calibre del orificio.

Sorry about the Spanish Gringos...
    Last edited by forchetto; 07-27-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post
    En España los "jets" los llamamos "Chiclés" o "surtidores" o "calibres". Son los orificios calibrados que dosifican el combustible en carburadores. Lo que quieren decir con "Jetting" es que tratan de mejorar las prestaciones experimentando cambiando el calibre del orificio.

Sorry about the Spanish Gringos...
    Jajajajaja muchas gracias hermano, ya si me quedo completamente claro

And sorry about the spanish too, Gringos

I needed that in spanish to really understand it

4. #24 Visited that factory too! 
    I visited that exact same factory over 18 months ago. I live 100kms from the factory in Zibo, Shandong. I wasn't allowed to go inside manufacturing area, but was allowed in offices, expressed interest in Qingqi 200GY. Felt that people didn't really have any love for bikes, just bolted stuff together and factory showroom wouldn't knock 1 RMB off list price, that upset me so I left. Couldn't even get through the gates of the Qingqi-Suzuki joint venture factory 5km down the road (they only make 125s)!

To be honest I think that Japanese branded Chinese manufactured bikes are better than Chinese branded bikes, this is because often Japanese branded bikes are sold for export with higher customer expectations and better design, like correct torque settings on bolts and not putting silly extras that can be dangerous on the bike.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 10-23-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Unfortunately it's a little much right now to expect any Chinese manufacturer to have a "love" for the bikes like many western companies/riders do. Many Asian cultures still primarily view motorcycles and nothing more than a simple means of transportation and are designed, manufactured, handled and marketed as such. Compared to some of the other factories I've visited, the line workers at QingQi were on the upper end in terms of how happy they looked doing their jobs and work environment.

While the world would be a wonderful place if we could get full tours of any factory at will, the reality of it is that this is not a common practice. From their point of view there's no reason to let a stranger into their facilities just because they're a foreigner or something without a special purpose. The QingQi-Suzuki plant is likely partly owned by Suzuki and this is not entirely under QingQi's control.

A manufacturer's showroom is not necessarily meant to be a retail store front but a place to showcase their products to industry consumers, meaning people who are interested in buying large quantities of their products or partnering with the company. In general, you wouldn't go to a whole-sale fruit market to just get one apple and shouldn't be surprised when a fruit broker (who's really looking to move crates of fruit) refuses to sell you a single apple because it's not even worth the time it takes to put it in the books. That's what retail stores are for.

The Japanese bikes which are produced in China have a different QC processes and standards applied to them so their product would naturally be different and slightly more expensive. On this front, it's not entirely clear who manufactures what and some research on this topic I'm sure would be of great interest to a lot of people!

Sorry to hear you had a less than ideal experience there but it seems like you still managed to get yourself a very capable bike!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

6. #26 Parts ???? 
    A local dealer who went belly up recently here in Bellingham Washington (USA) was handling Q-Link dirt bikes. The bike looked to be of adequite quality and very similar to the Suzuki product. But the fly in the ointment is parts support. Dirt bikes have wear and tear issues and to be succesfull a new player in the dirt bike market must have adequite parts support. A good friend who has a independant motorcycle repair business tells me that he has to turn folks away who need repairs to Chinese motorcycles because there is no parts infrastructure. I remember when Honda, Yamaha and Susuki entered the US market in the early 1960s. They were succesfull because they rapidly built a service network in the US. QuingQi would be wise to look at this business model and copy it if they desire to have long term success in the US market.

Chuck,

Welcome and thanks for pitchin in. The parts supplies problem is complicated and I put a separate post about this here:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16

Basically the problem of supplies is not always an issue of the manufacturer (who usually has massive warehouses of these things sitting around) but also the importers/distributors who refuse to purchase correct quantities of parts and or don't distribute them in an even, timely or fair manner. Please don't confuse importers with manufacturers. These two entities operate with their own goals and often under totally different names.

The solution would be direct distribution form the manufacturer but that seems to be slow coming as these companies are still working on developing a strong product line and need to figure out international marketing. Culturally or logistically, it's not an easy, simple or fast task.

CC

8. #28 Parts ???? 
    OK, that explains the why, but the statement remains the same. If the mfg or the importer desires to achieve long term success in the US market, the customer must be supported by the importer. In the early 1960s there were several entries into the US market by both European and Japanese brands. The successful market entries had good support orgainizations. I was surprised for example to visit Italy as a serviceman in the 1980s and see certain Itialian bikes that flash in the pan entries into the US market in the 1960s. My surprise was that those brands were stil healthy in Europe. Since Q-Link has not fleshed out a wide dealer network yet, they would be well advised to offer a way for independant repair shops to get parts easily. It would be easy to add a section to their web site.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerlemann View Post
    they would be well advised to offer a way for independant repair shops to get parts easily. It would be easy to add a section to their web site.
    Totally agree. Chinese manufacturers or dealers won't even let you see a copy of their spares list to enable owners or repairers to order spares by the correct part number. This saves a lot of time and confusion.

Some even express surprise and anger if you suggest such a move. You only have to point out to them the Yamaha-motor.com site that has all the owners manuals, service specs and schedules and parts manuals on their site, free of charge, as well as the possibility of purchasing service manuals.

See:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/se...home/home.aspx

Section "parts and service". You can sign up if you want, but ots not stricly neccessary if you only want certain documents, like parts manuals, etc.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

Some of them are going that way, like we saw with Loncin in BC, Canada but there no doubt much work to be done in that field. Again, direct distribution would help solve a lot of these problems...or at least make it easier to point fingers at the correct party.

CC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast